Author Topic: Adver comments - I wonder who 'bobby wright' is?  (Read 75684 times)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
Re: Adver comments - I wonder who 'bobby wright' is?
« Reply #200 on: December 18, 2013, 03:29:00 PM »
Apparently  :wink:

Geoff has been lauded 28576 times and smitten 2267

Busy man!

(the 'scores' are under peoples ID pics - Mugs, me and a few others have picked up a few too)
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #201 on: December 18, 2013, 05:37:29 PM »
Ignore my Karma totals, they're fake. I was demonstrating to the operator (and members) of another forum that, contrary to his assertion that he was unable to inflate his own Karma totals, it is comparatively simple and quick thing to do.

Karma and 'Thumbs' up/down ratings systems are divisive, unrepresentative, lazy and pointless in my opinion.  I'd much rather read a post containing a genuinely held opinion than something crafted for peer group applause.  It would be nice to see genuine opinion advanced and discussed within the council chamber and Adver pages, but both venues are seriously flawed in their ability to foster and sustain honest and frank discussion.

I'm pleased no one used it during the few days it was active on TS and it was pleasing to switch it off again.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #202 on: December 18, 2013, 06:51:03 PM »
Karma and 'Thumbs' up/down ratings systems are divisive, unrepresentative, lazy and pointless in my opinion.  I'd much rather read a post containing a genuinely held opinion than something crafted for peer group applause.  It would be nice to see genuine opinion advanced and discussed within the council chamber and Adver pages, but both venues are seriously flawed in their ability to foster and sustain honest and frank discussion.

Well, huzzah and hurrah! God Save the King, Rule Britannia,    and Boo Sucks the Hairy Hun!  :clap:

I guess then that the weirdly coincidental positive thumb-storm which accompanies 'Ringer' whenever he posts and which denigrates all critics *might* (just MIGHT) be an example of a similar possibility...?  ::)

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #203 on: January 27, 2014, 06:18:06 PM »
This thread is going to be a very useful reference point for future developments :coolsmiley:
Proud to be gone

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #204 on: January 27, 2014, 11:49:06 PM »

:popcorn:

Offline bobwright

« Reply #205 on: January 30, 2014, 08:41:10 PM »
Can't make my mind up if the person using another's name is 'damaged goods', intends to damage or ultimately when revealed will do damage to their own reputation. Either way a sad way to live.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #206 on: January 30, 2014, 10:43:49 PM »
Can't make my mind up if the person using another's name is 'damaged goods', intends to damage or ultimately when revealed will do damage to their own reputation. Either way a sad way to live.

Exactly Bob!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #207 on: January 30, 2014, 11:52:57 PM »
It's all rather polite and serene on the Adver columns at the moment.

Last  exchange I had, my impersonator was implying that I had stolen HIS login.
Seems he's incapable of recognising his own faults.

I couldn't comment due to proceedings, but the reputation thing is worth noting as I am merely a humble member of the public, with no political connections, and due to leave town very soon.

Thing is this thread, with its many links to archived Adver threads, provides an accurate record of comments exchanged over a very long period of time.  :police:

I apologise in advance if I highlight this thread and the Adver Cloning one from time to time
http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php/topic,9720.msg99304/topicseen.html#msg99304

Keeping these two threads in particular in the "recent topics" list makes it easier to investigate.

I think most will agree that this is well overdue
Proud to be gone

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #208 on: February 01, 2014, 11:59:02 AM »
Recorded for ongoing proceedings
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10975371.Final_arrest_haul_47_as_Operation_Harness_delivers_message_to_drug_dealers/
Proud to be gone

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #209 on: February 22, 2014, 10:01:37 AM »
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/11026523.Cracks_in_walls_force_deacon_to_close_chapel_behind_Regent_Circus_development/
Proud to be gone

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #210 on: February 23, 2014, 05:28:40 PM »
Interesting little story from Kent http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/feb/23/rival-facebook-campaigns-stir-storm-margate-tesco

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #211 on: February 25, 2014, 09:55:26 PM »
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/11033330.Lydiard_sell_off_rumours_spark_Twitter_row/
Proud to be gone

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #212 on: March 23, 2014, 09:54:53 AM »
More cloning?
Takes time to sort out don't it?
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/11088727.Library_users_fear_hours_may_be_cut/
Proud to be gone

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #213 on: May 20, 2014, 06:02:34 PM »
Well it's been a long time coming....

This could be the start of a new improved era.......

It looks like The Adver' are finally going to monitor their comments sections

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/11222155.THE_LIST__Top_10_most_expensive_houses_currently_on_the_market_in_Swindon/
Proud to be gone

Offline Des Moffatt

• Hello !
« Reply #214 on: June 05, 2014, 09:16:49 AM »
How many on the Adver comments will now disappear?

Deputy leader steps down after fake texts

Paul Shotton, the deputy leader of Stoke-on-Trent City Council, has stepped down after it was revealed he sent text messages to BBC Radio Stoke pretending to be different people. Mr Shotton sent the messages over six months with comments supportive of the council and the Labour Party and critical of their political rivals. Elsewhere, Worcester City Council leader Adrian Gregson has been replaced by Simon Geraghty, following a vote of no confidence, bringing the council back under Conservative control. Separately, chief executives from Wandsworth, Camden, Thurrock and Barking & Dagenham councils, have appeared before the Communities and Local Government select committee, which is holding the investigation into excessive rises in local government remuneration. The annual Town Hall Rich List compiled by the Taxpayers Alliance found that Camden had more employees earning over £100,000 than any other council, with 40.

BBC News    BBC News    Evening Standard London, Page: 18

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #215 on: June 06, 2014, 05:42:19 PM »
It will be interesting to see if anyone refrains from "persistent use" of the Adver threads now that the borough solicitor has expressed his disapproval of pseudonym politics.

It certainly went quiet when I initially reported one particular troll to the police when he logged in as me and did his best to incite people, condoning drink drivers etc.

Trouble is (for the troll) all his antics are recorded.
Proud to be gone

Offline Spunkymonkey

• Hello !
« Reply #216 on: June 06, 2014, 11:04:35 PM »
It will be interesting to see if anyone refrains from "persistent use" of the Adver threads now that the borough solicitor has expressed his disapproval of pseudonym politics.

It certainly went quiet when I initially reported one particular troll to the police when he logged in as me and did his best to incite people, condoning drink drivers etc.

Trouble is (for the troll) all his antics are recorded.

The borough solicitor's disapproval applies to us not them.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #217 on: June 11, 2014, 02:34:39 PM »
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/11268682.Cats_die_in_terrible_pain_after_poisoning/

Highly suspicious comments and stacks of block 'thumbs up' for what is effectively an endorsement of someone deliberately poisoning people's pets.

Does the geographic location bear any link to any of our prime suspects? Also, note the potential sock-puppet personas agreeing with each other.

I think the police ought to be made aware of this thread.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #218 on: June 11, 2014, 06:28:01 PM »
Bit scary as this is just across the brook so to speak.  So warned my cat friends as son as I read it.

How long does antifreeze last outdoors?  And I take it it is antifreeze because it seem one of the cats had a proper autopsy.

If antifreeze lingers and if it is as attractive to cats - I never saw any of ours hanging around the antifreeze bottle or trying to get to them. If it does linger, then I might have the answer. 

When they built abbey Meads the developers each had a compound, some concurrently some overlapping and some on their own.  Nearly all of them in that vicinity were careless with their red diesel at some point maybe also careless with antifreeze?   If so, that got into the ditches around the fields - yes, hard to believe but there were actually fields and hedgerows with ditches there, up until about 20 years ago. 

From the ditches, it entered the Groundwell Brook and then on down into the Haydon brook etc. That part of Abbey Meads is nearly all built on the hillside so wherever it leaked it came downwards. 

If antifreeze is short lived, then who would be using it at this time of the year or anytime in the last few months etc, except for purposes most fowl? 

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #219 on: June 11, 2014, 07:54:49 PM »
I have to say, I'm rather suspicious of some of the excuses and justifications made by the 'personality' personalities on the adver comments section.

http://www.rspca.org.uk/adviceandwelfare/pets/cats/health/poisoning/antifreeze

For all the reasons you state (time of year - no ones using antifreeze and cats are basking in the sun rather than going into garages, the number of cats effected), not to mention the bile and weird callousness of the adver commentards, I'd be almost certain that this was a deliberate and malicious spate of poisonings, sadly.