Author Topic: Adver comments - I wonder who 'bobby wright' is?  (Read 77353 times)

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
Re: Adver comments - I wonder who 'bobby wright' is?
« Reply #180 on: October 26, 2013, 09:32:16 PM »
My letter was sent to the local residents association, the Adver and then posted on TS.

The Adver printed my letter of thanks today.

I have no idea what Cllr Donachie is talking about in relation to any new policy at the Adver.

Perhaps he has some Adver knowledge unknown to the rest of us?

Kareen
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #181 on: October 27, 2013, 08:00:52 AM »
My letter was sent to the local residents association, the Adver and then posted on TS.

The Adver printed my letter of thanks today.

I have no idea what Cllr Donachie is talking about in relation to any new policy at the Adver.

Perhaps he has some Adver knowledge unknown to the rest of us?

Kareen

Vanishingly unlikely that either staff at the Adver or a police officer would share with Cllr Donachie confidential information which is subject to Data Protection laws.  Neither does it seem likely that the Adver would appraise him, (as a regular user and abuser of the Adver's comments section), of any particular change in policy towards users trolling their website unless they have had cause to issue a warning to him or inform someone at an i.p address to which he has/had access that those i.p address details had been passed to the police in order that they might investigate an alleged criminal act(s). 

Although it is possible Cllr Donachie knew of actions taken by the Adver in support of a police investigation before Kareen distributed her letter, it seems more likely that, (if he did have prior knowledge), he'd been tipped off by another Adver user who knows more about Bobby Wright than they would ever publicly admit.  I think it's far less likely that Olive knows anything because he's politically privy to the content and course of police enquiries.

Most likely imho that Olive has intuited 'happenings' and is once again trying to 'big himself up', in which case he'll have more success at infalting himself up by spending several energetic and solitary hours with a penis enlarger pump.   Sorry if that offends anyone, it might be Sunday but I'll admit to not feeling particularly 'Churchey' or well disposed to political hypocrites today - I'll pop back and explain why after a bacon sandwich and cup of Rosey.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #182 on: October 27, 2013, 08:31:11 AM »
I'll pop back and explain why after a bacon sandwich and cup of Rosey.

And, in my opinion, this is why Cllr Donachie is the rankest of hypocrites and why the residents of Haydon Wick ought to worry - whether they voted for him or not:

Voltaire...defend to the death...

Olive starts with:

Quote from: Oliver Donachie
Hey Geoff,

I just thought I would borrow Emma's acount to make a quick thread, in my own "ungagged" words:

It's an interesting topic which is worth a slow read through in order to fully appreciate its subtleties. 

Offline carole bent

• Hello !
« Reply #183 on: October 27, 2013, 11:32:34 AM »
Interesting.

Ref Cllr Donachie, I will be sending my questions directly to his email address out of courtesy today -  just in case he hasn't seen them here.
I will update when I receive a reply.

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #184 on: October 27, 2013, 12:50:41 PM »
Voltaire...defend to the death...

It's an interesting topic which is worth a slow read through in order to fully appreciate its subtleties

I hadn't seen the 'Voltaire' thread before today. 

Read it all.... Fascinating...

Kareen
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #185 on: November 04, 2013, 08:22:58 PM »
Looks like the adver  " Ringer " has tripped up in the readers comments

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10780251.Vandals_destroy_pupils____saplings/
Proud to be gone

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
Ooops! He's done it again
« Reply #186 on: November 06, 2013, 06:55:04 PM »
Oops!
He's done it again  :2funny:

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10785543.I_will_still_be_as_dedicated/

At this rate, it might soon be pleasant to join in with the adver comments
Proud to be gone

Offline OTTed

• Colin Doubleday from Old Town Swindon
« Reply #187 on: November 11, 2013, 01:19:20 PM »
Not been on here for some while and I was drawn to this thread as I too have suffered public mauling by the trolls.

after reading what seemed a sensible and viable discussion through the past 2 pages, I was sidetracked to the discussion on the Adver links rather than TS

time away has sharpened my perspective on such arguments, I can only say that I find it depressing that those who started  such a spat [on the Adver comments thread] were mutually self obsessed enough to keep it going.

does public life and politics really have to be so childish. It is clear that two people who probably think that they 'care' about the world have lost any focus on the issues. They also will have disengaged a number of reasonable people who will have read the thread.

very sad.

Think I will return my thoughts to substantive issues. Of course hoping that the Bobby Wrights of this world can be marginalised permanently and that good citizens do not need to be harassed or frightened for holding opinions.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #188 on: November 11, 2013, 02:10:45 PM »
Of course hoping that the Bobby Wrights of this world can be marginalised permanently and that good citizens do not need to be harassed or frightened for holding opinions.

If only it were that easy  :wink:

All too often the alter ego's of the Adver Onanist's pop up in real life to use reputational leverage against their 'enemies'.  The sad fact is that, for these people, politics extends far beyond the boundaries of what normal people consider normal.

A supplementary 'sad fact' is that by merely advancing the above observation I will probably trigger a fresh round of 'reaching out and touching people' by the aforementioned alter ego's.

A third and final 'sad fact' is that the Adver Onanist's, (in both their 'anonymous' and 'public' personas), tend to forget that normal people talk to each other, exchange opinions and compare notes ;D

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #189 on: December 11, 2013, 10:41:38 PM »
I don't know if it's just me but I couldn't help but spot what seems to be an interesting trend on the Adver comments section with the thumbs up and down stuff.  Is it just me or do comments which agree with a certain poster seem to really well but those which disagree don't?

I think the following is a really good example, I was following this discussion today and after a certain person commented the first few comments went down from having a positive thumbs up to a zero or negative one (along with any further comments that seemed to disagree) http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10867995.Helping_to_make_sportswomen_feel_sexy/

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #190 on: December 12, 2013, 05:49:38 AM »

TS has a 'Karma Points' system.  We decided in the early days to leave it switched off - I can't remember why exactly but it probably seemed like a good idea at the time.

I'll have a quick looksie before I go up the wooden hill, if I can find it I'll switch it on for a day or so so we can play with it and talk about it. 

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #191 on: December 12, 2013, 06:01:56 AM »

Ha! Found it....

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #192 on: December 12, 2013, 08:22:02 AM »
Hmmm - I've never been a fan of 'thumbs up/down' or karma points as used on other forums.

Too many users start applying them instead of rational arguments to 'settle scores'. Their purpose becomes even more opaque when you look at what is happening on the Adver site: It appears pretty clear that someone is either gathering supporters to up-vote their inane comments, or is using their own multiple log-ins to vote.

Debate and the exchange of ideas ought not be a popularity contest: Some of the most unpalatable truths may not be popular; I'd prefer to see thoughts and ideas challenged using evidence, logic and fact. If someone disagrees with someone, they ought to crack a knuckle to a keyboard and make an attempt to construct a cogent argument, rather than just click 'dislike'. It makes it far too easy to be tribal and simply dismiss an idea or expression without being forced to think about it.

To that extent, I think the thumbs buttons on the Adver site have actually been counter-productive. For similar reasons, I'd prefer not to see them become a permanent fixture on TS...
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #193 on: December 12, 2013, 08:31:45 AM »
I don't think the Adver setup is that complicated. It appears you can "vote" without logging in (I've just done it and I don't have an Adver login!). So no need to have duplicate accounts to make yourself look good.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #194 on: December 12, 2013, 08:57:07 AM »
I think you are correct Weeble. If I take a check on the site of that rabid simpleton, Iftie, to see what his latest ploy to create sectarianism is all about, I leave him with a "Thumbs Down" too.
He hasn't worked out what is happening yet.
What's it all about?

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #195 on: December 12, 2013, 06:16:14 PM »
I don't think the Adver setup is that complicated. It appears you can "vote" without logging in (I've just done it and I don't have an Adver login!). So no need to have duplicate accounts to make yourself look good.

... which rather begs the question as to the point. Its not a democratic endorsement or censure - it leaves the system open to abuse if you are able to mobilise a mob to victimise your critics or artificially boost your apparent popularity.

As a result, the quality of argument becomes secondary...

Personally, I don't care whether Ifti gets a 'thumbs down' - I think what you have to say about it is far more effective and worth-while as a means of combating him and his ilk. And the success of doing so is not about what is popular or unpopular, its about de-constructing the ludicrous nature of his logic and exposing false rhetoric and bigotry.

:thumb:
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #196 on: December 12, 2013, 08:43:16 PM »
I don't like 'ratings' and I particularly dislike the Facebook 'Like' button.  I'd rather people left even a one word comment than a one.button 'like'.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #197 on: December 18, 2013, 08:03:07 AM »
Dusted off the old Adver comments login (surprisingly I remembered the password  :o) and added a comment to the old town power cut discussion about iffy voting trends. I'll be interested to see how the voting goes  :popcorn:

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10882040.Residents_frustrated_as_the_lights_go_out_in_Old_Town/

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #198 on: December 18, 2013, 10:48:29 AM »
That some of the 'regular faces' have knobbled the thumbs system on the Adver comments section is one of the most transparent and revealing bits of conceit, isn't it?

I've made it something of a personal mission to try and remain as untribal as possible regarding the way I assess any given political issue, but you'd have to be utterly stupid not to perceive the predictable patterns occurring on the Adver pages. It's so obvious, its laughable, in a tragic and sad kind of way. Tragic, because it reveals the pathetic nature of the kind of people who post an opinion without the balls to do it either in their own real name, or with the intention to see the merit of their statements stand or fall according to its content. Its just another tribal game to be won. That the same attitude extends into the council chamber is of no cooincidence, in my view...

Its also an illustration of why I'd like to see the 'applaud/smite' option removed from TS  :wink:

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #199 on: December 18, 2013, 03:02:55 PM »
Its also an illustration of why I'd like to see the 'applaud/smite' option removed from TS  :wink:

Has anyone actually used it?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group