Author Topic: Adver comments - I wonder who 'bobby wright' is?  (Read 98056 times)

ph1lc

Re: Adver comments - I wonder who 'bobby wright' is?
« Reply #160 on: October 25, 2013, 11:11:43 AM »
Kareen

You've fought a tireless campaign entirely honourably and for that you deserve nothing but congratulations.

The 'orrible little adver troll deserves a public naming and shaming!

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #161 on: October 25, 2013, 11:42:01 AM »
Kareen

You've fought a tireless campaign entirely honourably and for that you deserve nothing but congratulations.

The 'orrible little adver troll deserves a public naming and shaming!

I agree if only to set an example.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline carole bent

• Hello !
« Reply #162 on: October 25, 2013, 12:58:41 PM »

Hi Geoff, I remember your words about " what to expect" for daring to dissent ( ie  treated as enemy combatants)

Having met only once,  I had no basis to know whether your views were right or wrong on this at the time.

Truth is - you were right about how "some" would behave, the evidence speaks for itself.

But.... there have also been a  number of people who have made contact to offer support or to share their own worrying experiences, including from some within SBC itself who are fed up with what has been peddled by some of their colleagues.

I respect peoples confidence so won't name names, but its interesting how many people are expressing a real distaste for the kind of antics that a small cabal have seemed to consider "appropriate" in 2013.

Some of the questions that I've been asked more than once are  " What is their problem ?" " When will they "get it " " Why do they behave like this " & " What are they so afraid of ?"

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #163 on: October 25, 2013, 01:58:15 PM »
My understanding of historical periods when people have put their misplaced loyalty to political groups before acting in the interests of the general good, is that it has never ended well for those involved.

Lying, cheating, putting contracts in the direction of friends and relatives, supporting whatever a political colleague says even when it is totally incorrect or foolish and then smearing those who are doing good things or exposing foul or corrupt deeds, is not a process that brings about a fair and just society. Those that do it are the true scum of the earth.

What's it all about?

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #164 on: October 25, 2013, 02:12:03 PM »
Those that do it are the true scum of the earth.

Is this an RAF thing T because it was an expression often used by my Father?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #165 on: October 25, 2013, 02:46:27 PM »
My understanding of historical periods when people have put their misplaced loyalty to political groups before acting in the interests of the general good, is that it has never ended well for those involved.

Lying, cheating, putting contracts in the direction of friends and relatives, supporting whatever a political colleague says even when it is totally incorrect or foolish and then smearing those who are doing good things or exposing foul or corrupt deeds, is not a process that brings about a fair and just society. Those that do it are the true scum of the earth.

Anyone who can draw breath is capable of making a mistake.

Recognising that you have made a mistake takes humility.

Admitting that you have made a mistake takes integrity.

Making restitution for a mistake takes courage.

Ignoring a mistake invites hubris as deceit drags more and more into the net.

As for hiding a mistake...

I guess it all depends on your conscience.

Kareen
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline carole bent

• Hello !
« Reply #166 on: October 25, 2013, 04:23:04 PM »
 REF : Quote from: Outoftowner on Today at 01:58:15 P : Those that do it are the true scum of the earth.
Richards question : is this an RAF thing  because it was an expression often used by my Father?

No idea ....but I've sat in a few briefings with pilots ( UK & others ) who fly in formation & heard the following :

1) Total personal responsibility taken for individual actions, with each pilot :

- Openly discussing any errors made by them personally that need correcting  ( e.g distances between aircraft / speeds  )

- Freely saying what they thought led to their mistakes  ( technical / skill based ) and listening to team members  views.

- Listening to everyone in the team to hear the impact on them  - especially those physically closest to them ( eg  how their flight position was compromised )

-  Taking on board all team members views / advice as to  what to do differently -to avoid doing it again.

Formation teams fly " following the leader" - & whilst he/ she sets the direction - always impressive to hear the leaders asking their whole teams  what they needed to do differently to improve the performance.... especially for the public who would be watching the displays.

The teams would then fly again ,  watch the film back again , critique openly & honestly again, then fly again....  - constantly  learning, improving , leading to great performances when certified as having reached the " right standard "

Clear accountability, clear personal responsibility. Facing the facts , not avoiding them. 

The most challenging roles are given to the most experienced, but the overall performance depends on the actions of every one of the team - their lives depend on it.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #167 on: October 25, 2013, 04:42:53 PM »

Hi Geoff, I remember your words about " what to expect" for daring to dissent ( ie  treated as enemy combatants)

Having met only once,  I had no basis to know whether your views were right or wrong on this at the time.

Truth is - you were right about how "some" would behave, the evidence speaks for itself.

But.... there have also been a  number of people who have made contact to offer support or to share their own worrying experiences, including from some within SBC itself who are fed up with what has been peddled by some of their colleagues.

I respect peoples confidence so won't name names, but its interesting how many people are expressing a real distaste for the kind of antics that a small cabal have seemed to consider "appropriate" in 2013.

Some of the questions that I've been asked more than once are  " What is their problem ?" " When will they "get it " " Why do they behave like this " & " What are they so afraid of ?"

My bold emphasis.

I have also found this to be the case.  The presence of good souls in the midst of the rot is what gives me hope that Swindon will not always be a rotten Borough.  As Robert Buckland says: "Sunlight is a good disinfectant"

I hope, when the change eventually arrives, they will come into their own and the Borough will begin to recover from its current civic deficit of democracy, decency and honest governance.

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #168 on: October 25, 2013, 04:50:32 PM »
Does make you wonder just how much standards in politics have declined since the generation that served in WW2 started retiring/passing away.

Rincewind

« Reply #169 on: October 25, 2013, 09:19:22 PM »
If you look at the comments for the Adver article about the footbridge on another thread, a certain person who calls himself a councillor welcomes the new Adver and police policy to deal with the comments section.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2013, 12:32:21 AM »
a certain person who calls himself a councillor welcomes the new Adver and police policy to deal with the comments section.

Yes - I read that too... its what I'd call a ...

... Moment!

:wink:

Quite strange that he should even KNOW about it, seeing as I'm not aware that the Adver have mentioned it at all...? I WONDER where he read about it???  - I though this was a site eschewed by all good whip-fearing conservative councillors, so if he is who he claims, how would he know...? Lots of questions....
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #171 on: October 26, 2013, 04:42:31 AM »
Teehee.....he's moved with some speed to put some distance betwixt himself and Bobby.  I see that as the first denial, so there'll be two more before a cock crows and the light dawns. :wink:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Offline carole bent

• Hello !
« Reply #172 on: October 26, 2013, 10:45:09 AM »
I don't know Cllr Oliver Donachie, although his words sound familiar.

I share the "delight" about the Adver's new stance , described by Oliver D :  to take " a principled stand against people who use their online pages  to intimidate under the wholly mistaken impression that they are in some way anonymous" and his welcome for any action in place to " unmask the cowards."

It would be a more powerful message to extend his concern beyond " Councillors ... who don't want to be engaged by people who use pseudonyms as a licence to attack Councillors ..."  to " members of the public " so I hope that Cllr Donachie and other elected representatives feel able to do this with immediate effect.

As Cllr Donachie has made a positive statement ( & presumably reads this site ) and mentions " trying to work on a basis of facts " , I hope that he is able to comment on the following :

1) Has Cllr Donachie ever posted under a pseudonym ? If so , why.

2) Will Cllr Donachie formally extend his support to the wider public - ie - will he condemn anonymous postings that have been placed against members of the public - especially that may have originated - or been sent on behalf of  any elected member - from any party? This would be good.

3) As members of the public have raised concerns about intimidation, including via trolling , can Cllr Donachie confirm what new "policy" he understands has been put in place by the police / Adver - as It would be good to know where this is formally stated ( aside from the thank you letter from KBoyd on behalf of herself & local people  )

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2013, 11:46:34 AM »
Lots of speculation!

Of course, until its confirmed who the 'man from North Swindon' was that the police warned, its all we'll have, and I think we all ought to beware, as I said i the earlier post, that we don't unfairly assume who that is...

That said, seems to me like there might be an easy way of finally resolving this, given how important it is to the functioning of democracy in Swindon.

Kareen, I'm presuming the police never named the individual involved - though it would seem to me that you  have the right to ask for the name, and for two key reasons: 1) it would seem to me that you would have an excellent case to sue for defamation against this person. If you wished to pursue a civil action (or even to begin correspondence inviting an out of court settlement), you would need his name. The police have already established enough of an evidence path to have 'warned' someone, so I suspect they would be obliged to give you this information. ... 2) Given the threatening nature of some of the postings, you have entirely the right to ask for some sort of restraining order too - which again, would require knowledge of his name and address for correspondence.

Food for thought....?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Jodie Maggio

• Hello !
« Reply #174 on: October 26, 2013, 11:48:03 AM »
If you look at the comments for the Adver article about the footbridge on another thread, a certain person who calls himself a councillor welcomes the new Adver and police policy to deal with the comments section.

Since I went and read the referred comment I thought I'd just copy it in here. Point 5 is the comment of discussion

Quote from: Cllr Oliver Donachie
Oliver_Donachie says...

My view in no particular order is.

1: It is not my ward but I am inside the Parish so will make general points.

2: I am slightly bemused by comments of Emma Faramarzi not being contactable given A: the details of the article and B: the fact that it comes up immediately as the top result on Google.

3: I am not a civil engineer but a qualified one has made a report in which they say the bridge is unsafe.

I am interested to note that members of the Parish feel they are able to make a qualified assessment and I welcome the presentation of their engineers report.

It appears some people do not grasp the difference between a sound bridge and a sound embankment, fortunately for us real qualified engineers do understand the difference and I am sure that is the point they are making re erosion.

4: I can predict the endless pages of comments if the council did not fulfil its obligation and someone came to harm. It appears a number of people will act as contrarians no matter what the argument and that is why I am sympathetic to people who simply see no point in debate.

5: I am delighted to hear of the Advertisers new policy in conjunction with the police to take a principled stand against people who use these pages to intimidate under the wholly mistaken impression they are in some way anonymous and I welcome any action in place to unmask the cowards who do so Bobfm.

Cllr Oliver Donachie.

Offline carole bent

• Hello !
« Reply #175 on: October 26, 2013, 12:25:04 PM »
Hi Tobes ref your post " Lots of speculation!
Of course, until its confirmed who the 'man from North Swindon' was that the police warned, its all we'll have, and I think we all ought to beware, as I said i the earlier post, that we don't unfairly assume who that is... "

I couldn't agree more.

My post links directly to comments from Councillor Donachie & my hope that he feels able to extend his condemnation more widely - in support of the wider public.
His replies to the questions can help to establish and clear up any confusion that might exist about his position on this.
This would presumably be good for all concerned.

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #176 on: October 26, 2013, 03:57:29 PM »
Sadly I've seen accusations being made on the Adver website a few times that several very political people have used mutiple usernames, and have even gone as far as to hold conversations with themselves.

I wonder is having forum conversations with yourself is the modern day equivalent of talking to yourself :uglystupid2:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #177 on: October 26, 2013, 04:23:03 PM »
Sort of Gorg, or it means you haven't enough friends to help you set up a conversation, question  and answer thing. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #178 on: October 26, 2013, 07:47:13 PM »
My post links directly to comments from Councillor Donachie & my hope that he feels able to extend his condemnation more widely - in support of the wider public.
His replies to the questions can help to establish and clear up any confusion that might exist about his position on this.
This would presumably be good for all concerned.

Absolutely. It was very forward thinking of Mr Donachie to make his statement in advance of anyone actually having been accused of being behind Bobby Wright - or of the Adver reporting that the old bill having had a word with someone. TS is, to my knowledge the only place it was reported (By Kareen) - a site he is rumoured to dislike (?). Or am I mistaken - has the information about the police action been shared anywhere other than here?

As he presumably therefore regularly reads posts here as a guest to have found out about Kareen's complaint and the police follow-up, I wonder if Mr D will also be honourable enough to correct 'Bobby Wright's' often stated false-assertion that Talk Swindon is a leftie/Labour Party site when he's next making a pronouncement in the Adver comments section...?

::)

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #179 on: October 26, 2013, 08:54:58 PM »
Also curious as to why a login name of "Ringer" has resurfaced on that same Adver thread.

The personality of that particular "Ringer" is far removed from the Talk Swindon Ringer
In much the same way that Bob Wright and the Adver's "Bobby Wright" are very different personalities.

Odd that all these characters seem to adopt a name used on Talk Swindon and yet they have "all" claimed to dislike this forum
Proud to be gone