Author Topic: Queensfield rat run  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Muggins

Queensfield rat run
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:54:01 AM »
There seems to be a bit of a debate brewing over this neck of the woods - about the rat run through Queensfield.  For a long time now drivers have been coming off at Cricklade road, before they get to the Crossroads, and nip through Queensfield to get to Hyde Road and Ermin Street etc,  sometimes for the purpose of getting to the Garden Centre and the adjacent Coop? And maybe to access the A419.  Recently restrictions were brought in to stop that running through Queensfield happening.

It seems that when Queensfield was built, or was it when Groundwell West industrial estate was built? it was intended to open up a through-road there (Arkwright Road) and there is potential to do just that and a councillor who lives locally is trying to get that open or at least get consultation and discussion on it.   

I thought at first that it was a Penhill versus Queensfield issue and although it's shorter to go through, it's not really that much of a time saving.  Anyway, it appears that among others Abbey Meaders are using the rat run. 

Do you think that if the Groundwell West route was opened this might prove dangerous on the by pass, as I am sure more people would want to use that slip road on to the A419 than that awful new junction they now have Cold Harbour?   

Do you think that the problems have been made worse by the closure of the  Park and Ride,  meaning a longer queue at the Moonies, which seems to be the traffic people want to avoid? 

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
Re: Queensfield rat run
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:25:06 AM »
Groundwell is the logical choice I feel, it's an industrial estate so you don't have the problem of children playing/going to school.  In a way it'd be like the rat-run through Dorcan Ind Est to the A419.  Mind you I think improvements to the roads in Groundwell and the A419/Hyde Road junction could be needed though.

Looking a google maps Hargreaves Road in Groundwell actually looks as if it did once link to Hyde Road (don't know if it ever did though).

Offline Muggins

Re: Queensfield rat run
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
I don't know if it did, but I wonder if they put the link in then hand cold feet, so if they did have cold feet I mean, why?

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)