Author Topic: Whatdoyouknow....The TS Leakline has reactivated itself!  (Read 3184 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Whatdoyouknow....The TS Leakline has reactivated itself!
« on: January 26, 2012, 12:45:23 AM »

I've been pleasantly surprised to witness the Talkswindon Leakline and Lamplighters networks reactivating themselves over the last few days  ))))

As per the Lamplighters code, the information received will be treated sensibly and confidentially.  No one gets stitched up, grassed up or done up like a kipper  :wink: 

Some of our newer members may not be familiar with Lamplighters but a little more info can be gleaned here: http://www.talkswindon.org/lamplighters/lamplighters.htm

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
Re: Whatdoyouknow....The TS Leakline has reactivated itself!
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 02:23:36 PM »
It would be interesting to see if anyone know anything about this   :popcorn:

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/9492999.Councillors_take_share_of_pensions/

Offline Des Moffatt

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 04:49:39 PM »
This is quite the nastiest little story I have seen for a long time.

As a much younger person when my colleagues and I served on Thamesdown and had to take time off work my colleagues lost pension rights from their employment.

Indeed it was a contributing reason for me when I declined the Company pension offer and made a private arrangement.

This still applies today, if public duties take you away from your paid employment both the employers and the employee’s contributions to the pension pot are reduced pro rata.

The outfit who originated this story has nothing to say about the tax avoidance industry that enables the rich to evade their tax responsibility.

I am not and never have been a contributor or benefiter of the Wiltshire pension fund.

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 07:41:16 PM »
Hmm, I'm not sure I'd describe this as nasty as I don't see enough detail to reach a reasoned conclusion, if anything I think it's another example of poor reporting.

It is true that anyone entering public service will have to assess the impact on their personal finances and long term career prospects, however they make these choices with their eyes open and without anyone holding a gun to their head.

On that basis, if I take the detail that is provided at face value, I think it's reasonable to question why any councillors would claim pension rights on roles that were intended to be voluntary.  Using claims about their perceived loss of income or pension as a justification won't wash and smacks of the way many MPs attempted to justify expense fraud a couple of years ago. 

I'd like to see some more transparency on this so I know who they are and what these so called voluntary roles are.   Unfortunately I doubt anyone is about to disclose this willingly so I guess we'll need to see if the lamplighters are able to do it instead.