Author Topic: Council Housing Ballot : Tenants say NO to transfer  (Read 10588 times)

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
Council Housing Ballot : Tenants say NO to transfer
« on: January 03, 2012, 09:30:10 AM »
Turnout 66%

Those voting Yes 28%

Those voting No 72%

Small Print: Member of the Labour Party. GMB Accompanying Rep. IT consultant on sabatical.  Postings may contain political bias. If you have an adverse reaction please desist from reading. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline Richard Symonds

Re: Council Housing Ballot : Tenants say NO to transfer
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 09:52:24 AM »
Turnout 66%

Those voting Yes 28%

Those voting No 72%

It is good to see that common sense prevailed despite the campaign mounted by the adminstration.

Now how much exactly did the campaign cost Russell?  Is that another £1m spent by our Big Spend Council?

Does Russell now agree that Jim Grant's position has been vindicated to take soundings before wasting all that money?  Will he now apologise to both he and Steve Wakefield for speaking out and blogging?

Now Russell, just how hard do you intend to negotiate c£140m payment to government?

All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 10:04:55 AM »
Turnout 66%

Those voting Yes 28%

Those voting No 72%

It is good to see that common sense prevailed despite the campaign mounted by the adminstration.

Now how much exactly did the campaign cost Russell?  Is that another £1m spent by our Big Spend Council?

Does Russell now agree that Jim Grant's position has been vindicated to take soundings before wasting all that money?  Will he now apologise to both Jim Grant and Steve Wakefield for speaking out and blogging?
I suspect that Cllr Hollands position will be that the Labour group were against choice in not supporting the ballot when in fact the ballot represented the removal of choice. Council tenants have the choice of staying with the council, moving to a HA or purchase prior to the ballot. Now that is real individual choice for the tenants.
Small Print: Member of the Labour Party. GMB Accompanying Rep. IT consultant on sabatical.  Postings may contain political bias. If you have an adverse reaction please desist from reading. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 10:51:43 AM »
Good on the tenants and all those who put in the time and effort for the NO campaign.

Not surprised though as whilst visiting friends in places like Parks over Christmas I did get the feeling that there would be a large NO vote.  For varying reasons ranging from "I don't trust the council" to "If the houses are being sold-off dirt cheap then I should get first refusal".

Offline Muggins

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 11:14:20 AM »
It's funny that one of the most oft heard remarks is about not trusting the council, yet voting to stay with them as Landlords, perhaps the tenants have a whiff of a change coming.

Wonder what's going to happen to the new structure now?

C'mon Richard, getting that turn out and result, that must have been one of the most worth while expenditures in some years. If the only real result was more engagement, there are always other outcomes from that sort of engagement. 

My advice to any one is going to be canvassing in the next 5/6 months keeps up the  momentum whilst the interest is awake.

It does however show how of touch some of the tenants reps were.

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Martin Wicks

• Personal Website
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 11:56:56 AM »
Well Muggins it's not such a paradox as it would appear, voting "to stay with the Council". We voted to maintain our security of tenure, which we would have lost if we 'transferred'. But people talk about !"the Council" as if it were just a single entity. It isn't. It's comprised of the ruling group, which is there so long as the electorate votes for them, the senior officers, and the foot soldiers who do the work. By and large the Council staff do a good job. The problems I have had as a tenant have been the result of shoddy work by contractors.

I'll write an assessment later, but let me say that I'm pleased that the victory is so clear. Nobody can argue with it. Despite all the crap from the Council about "presentiing the facts" tenants know that they were organising a Yes campaign. Indeed, I think one of the reason for such a big No vote is that tenants asked themselves why is the Council so keen on a Yes vote. They know a hard sell when they see it.

Swindon Tenants Campaign Group will be having a discussion about what next. My own view is that this victory provides the basis for building an independent tenants movement which has been absent from the town for many years.

One final thing. Councillors and senior officers shouldn't think that because we're happy about the result we will forget about the way they conducted the campaign. We'' be attempting to shine a light on all the nasty nooks and crannies and demanding an accounting for the way they conducted their campaign.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 12:05:44 PM »
Martin I am very pleased to hear that you do not intend to let matters rest and wish you well in setting up an Independent Tenants Group to involve everyone rather the ones that fit the criteria required by the Council.

Nobody can argue with any of that and a balanced way forward is in the better interests of everyone including the Council, its Members and Officers.

However, I am sure you would also agree that this whole scenario will have very far reaching consequences not least of all for those so keen to execute a 'Yes' vote!! :santa_cheesy:
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Muggins

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 01:47:45 PM »
"Swindon Tenants Campaign Group will be having a discussion about what next. My own view is that this victory provides the basis for building an independent tenants movement which has been absent from the town for many years."

And if I was a tenant I would do everything I could to help you do that - and will as a person.
I'll start by putting it on agenda's.  I'm still flipping annoyed (understatement) that so much funding as gone the way of creating dependent tenants movements which was never the desire or intention of the funders.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Martin Wicks

• Personal Website
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 03:09:37 PM »
For initial comments on the result see:

http://keepourcouncilhomes.wordpress.com/2012/01/03/decisive-vote-by-swindon-council-tenants-to-reject-transfer/

Martin

Offline Muggins

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 04:40:35 PM »
Totally by co-incidence:

‘Residents, including social housing tenants, want to make big positive differences to their communities – and I want to put the powers in their hands to be able to do so. Grant Shapps, Housing Minister

We will be running the following course in relation to this:

Tenant Panels
Wednesday 14-Thursday 15 March 2012
Trainers: Eileen Adams, Tim Morton   Engage Associates

The course is aimed at tenants who are, or want to be, involved in Tenant Panels.

Training will help you explore if being a Tenant Panel Member is for you and will take you through the type of activity Panels will be getting involved in – from scrutiny to dealing with complaints.

It will help you compare the arrangements your landlord has in place with those of other landlords so that you can push for continuous performance improvement in service delivery.

To book, please can you fill in our application form, please click here for a copy.

Do not hesitate to contact me on 01244 300246, mc.lawton@traffordhall.com for more information.

Warm regards

Claire Lawton
Training Programme Administrator

Trafford Hall
Ince Lane,
Wimbolds Trafford,
Chester
CH2 4JP

Tel: 01244 300246
Fax: 01244 300818

Url: www.traffordhall.com

Company Registration Number: TTCo 2781694
NCRC Number: 2648892
Charity Number: 1005555
Registered in England and Wales

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 05:55:52 PM »
Despite being subjected to a barrage of deliberately bamboozling 'official' information, tenants clearly understood the issues surrounding self-financing.

Despite being bribed with the carrots of new kitchens and bathrooms, tenants knew a moody deal when they saw one.

Despite being pressured with multiple personal visits from council officers, phone calls from council officers and companies engaged by the council to contact them, tenants knew they were being subjected to a pressure-sell but didn't sell out their security.

Despite the best efforts of Pro-Transfer Conservative & Liberal Democrat councillors, and tenant members of the Swindon Housing Association 'Shadow' Board to convince other tenants that SBC is a crap landlord which will not maintain their homes in the future.....tenants still weren't about to be taken for a ride.

Despite a £40,000,000 bail-out being very, very high on Cllr's Bluh, Perkins, Edwards & Hollands Xmas wish list, tenants obviously were not willing to use their own homes to bail out the Conservatives from a black hole budget of their own creation.

Tenants are not stupid people, but those who thought they could treat them as such are....

....and I'm glad Swindon tenants weren't conned into repeating the same mistake we made in Newbury.

STV and REG should immediately disband themselves pending the creation of a properly constituted, independent, representative and democratic association to represent them.     

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 06:01:07 PM »
Well done everyone  :clap:
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Jarvis

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 06:56:49 PM »

How much has Roderick's latest vision cost us?

Offline Scott Thunes

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 08:24:18 PM »
This result is fantastic news and a real welcome to the New Year.

I hope that this is a sign of the electorate waking up to the reality of the Bluhtocracy that misuses taxpayers money and is driving Swindon into the ground, ridden with debt.

I for one will continue to spread the word far and wide to open the public's eyes to the need to send this shoddy, arrogant, undemocratic administration packing come May.
Oooooh Matron!

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2012, 08:45:37 PM »
I plagiarise and then I fink.

That because the tenants were subjected to a barrage of patently bamboozling 'official' information they did not need to understand the issues surrounding self-financing, it wasn't a head decision, it was a gut decision.

Despite being bribed in a singularly unsubtle way with the carrots of new kitchens and bathrooms, tenants probably imbued those carrots with the same credence as the other root vegetables that are brandished when our elected representatives crave a boon.

Because they were pressured with multiple personal visits from council officers, phone calls from council officers and companies engaged by the council to contact them, tenants knew they were being offered the habitable version of an Austin Princess when they were already the proud owners of a Morris Marina, least worst see?

Despite the best efforts of Pro-Transfer Conservative & Liberal Democrat councillors, and tenant members of the Swindon Housing Association 'Shadow' Board to convince other tenants that SBC is a crap landlord not enough tenants were shocked enough by this relevation to tick yes. Crap they may be but they are also tenuously accountable.

All that I worry about is what form retribution will take, there will be retribution because a certain spikiness is a defining character trait of the present administration. I also idly wonder what the charm offensive cost in WiFi's, 2 maybe? Or did it go all the way up to a Lost Weekend at Lydiard, mebbe's it scraped in at a abernacle or may even now be lurching to a Croft School in a Box (just add pupils)?

Interestingly this is the first significant reverse of fortune (quite literally folks!) I can remember and could be a box ticked on the Failure Tick List.

This does not fill me with any particular joy, though I will smile a bit cos some herberts have been especially obnoxious (that's a hubris thing innit?), for me it just confirms the cyclical nature of the
thing.

Peaks of success never seem to plunge the depths of failure, or is that just me?
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Des Moffatt

• Hello !
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 09:18:41 PM »
“tenants knew they were being offered the habitable version of an Austin Princess when they were already the proud owners of a Morris Marina, least worst see?”

Ohi Mart, you besmirch the grandfather and grandmother of my Rover 75

Got Signal

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 09:30:25 PM »
Mart

You forgot to mention the DVD and shadow board  :santa_shocked:

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 11:06:43 PM »
One final thing. Councillors and senior officers shouldn't think that because we're happy about the result we will forget about the way they conducted the campaign. We'' be attempting to shine a light on all the nasty nooks and crannies and demanding an accounting for the way they conducted their campaign.

Martin...

Congratulations... a victory for common sense!

I think that we may have common cause on the behaviour of the Cllrs and Officers.... there would appear to be a certain culture at play here which stinks to high heaven...

Wifi... Housing... Croft...North Swindon S106 money....Coate... Tadpole Farm.... Wichelstowe...Locarno...Marlborough Park ...to name but a few...

We must have a chat!

JennyB
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 08:20:51 AM »
Mart1:  Despite the best efforts of Pro-Transfer Conservative & Liberal Democrat councillors, and tenant members of the Swindon Housing Association 'Shadow' Board to convince other tenants that SBC is a crap landlord not enough tenants were shocked enough by this relevation to tick yes. Crap they may be but they are also tenuously accountable".

Also SBC have consistently used one of their good landlord thingy as one of their better qualities.

Mart2: "All that I worry about is what form retribution will take, there will be retribution because a certain spikiness is a defining character trait of the present administration."

My biggest fear too................

I think that some tenants were really on top of the money thing, some of them didn't really get it but may have felt that the benefits were more for politicans than tenants, some didn't take the heavy sell as a good sign, and for some the 'facts' were too much to take in, so they did as most sensible people do when in a quandary and stuck with the status quo.

The tenants now have their fate in their own hands, having been given a pick poke in the ribs let's hope they get going and form their own independent associations and do it quickly so that they can fight or better fight anything that might happen under point 2 herein. Martin W might lead, but he will quickly be pigeon holed without a good crowd of people behind him. (not your fault Martin, it happens to all leaders in Swindon)

Offline Martin Wicks

• Personal Website
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 12:19:00 PM »
We've got a good crowd of people Muggins - it just needs to grow. Even the best of leaders cannot substitute for troops on the ground. The greatest lesson of the ballot process is that collective working class organisation can win, even against the odds. Tenants have to have our own organisation to fight for our collective interests. If we look to our own individual interests alone, we are powerless. If we combine together then we can achieve things.