Author Topic: Don't all shout at once please !  (Read 3759 times)

Offline boothill

Don't all shout at once please !
« on: December 17, 2011, 12:09:25 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-16215838

After reading the above story, my main question is...What does a town smell like generally and are there any suggestions as to a name for swindon's future entry in the "pong parade" ?

Just hope that the lady in question doesn't invite suggestions from the adver website intelligentsia  ...THAT could be a BBBBBIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGG mistake !

Old people believe everything...middle aged people suspect everything...young people know everything    3 2 1 back in the room !

Offline Muggins

Re: Don't all shout at once please !
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 02:34:03 PM »
Luckily, I don't think Swindon would inspire a perfume and I suppose if it did , what it would smell like is according to whether you live in Rodbourne or ehm..... somewhere else.

Round here smells of wet leaves at present.  I never have worked out what it is down in the Copse that smells of a good fabric conditioner -even in winter. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Jean

• Jefferies Land Conservation Trust
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 05:26:46 PM »
Talking about ideas for scents (which we are not) has anyone smelt the flower of the privet? I hate privet as a hedge but if you let it go to bloom, the smell is exquisite - a little like vanilla and not sweet and sickly. My husband suggested "Eau de privet" but we don't think that it will catch on.

As for a perfume for Swindon - here's a new line known as FCUKing developers' Eau de pollution.
Live simply so that others might simply live

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 06:05:25 PM »
Puttanata?
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 06:06:18 PM »
a good one would be Barnfield!!

oh and when is someone in the Council going to do something about it?

and to think that Lidl and B & Q located within range of its mystical charms - must have been on a good day when the Directors and decision makers visited!!

I wouldn't want to work there!!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 06:23:50 PM »
I've never noticed the pong inside either lidl or b&q, outside is another matter though. 

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 10:26:08 PM »
Back in the day when there was a council depot there, we would drive the mowing machines in there to get them repaired. If the sewage works had the big stick out and were stirring, the drive down great western way would take your breath away and bring tears to your eyes. Mustard gas had nothing on that.....

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 11:24:08 PM »
Barnfield doesn't come close to the nasal brutality of the Slough treatment works or the insidious choking infiltration of whatever lurks close to the M25/M3 interchange.  Get too close to either of those bad boys on a warm summer evening and your nose will tell you that you're being bludgeoned to death with a blunt excrement while your throat is experiencing, (what in wine parlance might be described as), a cloying chewiness.  Often counted myself lucky that I'm not a vegetarian.

Barnfield has, to my limited olfactory sensibilities, an aroma more akin to a river of warm, gently steaming pee than a giant bubbling pot of stuff recognisable on a Bristol stool chart.  :-X

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 11:37:33 PM »
I've never noticed the pong inside either lidl or b&q, outside is another matter though.

Gorgon I have to admit that I have not noticed it in Lidl but it was the subject of conversation inside B & Q last summer and was it bad!!

and yes Geoff having lived in Hampshire and commuted up the M3 most work days I would agree you would certainly know your location even in the worst of fogs and that applies to dear old Slough as well. What was that saying about Slough and the bombs in the war?

Mind you with regeneration Swindon does not need bombs someone else did it for them!!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Muggins

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 08:24:10 AM »
Back in the day when Swindon stopped at the county ground the New inn at Stratton, the Red lion (now the Boundary house at Moredon and the Moonies at Stratton - Yes, and all the bus stops had pub names! the milk was delivered by horse and cart.

I lived two streets away from Barnfield tip, there was no big roads and roundabouts then between us and the sewage farm.  We were brought up on that pong - and we played out all the time and went to the school 4 doors away.

We had a much closer relationship with pooh in those days - and better roses.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 08:46:44 AM »
East London, a customer's warehouse sat across the river from a 'solid waste incinerator'.

Lordy lordy.

Me Uncle Michael, God Bless him, brought his family up with the river Mole at the bottom of the garden and a few hundred yards downwind of the water treatment plant. For years every time in rained heavily the river advanced right up the fairly long and steeply sloping garden bringing with it the, um, surplus, from the water treatment plant.

He grew onions the size of your head.

Then they fixed it all and the 'Pixham Pong' was no more.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 09:06:24 AM »
Barnfield doesn't come close to the nasal brutality of the Slough treatment works or the insidious choking infiltration of whatever lurks close to the M25/M3 interchange.  Get too close to either of those bad boys on a warm summer evening and your nose will tell you that you're being bludgeoned to death with a blunt excrement while your throat is experiencing, (what in wine parlance might be described as), a cloying chewiness.  Often counted myself lucky that I'm not a vegetarian.

Barnfield has, to my limited olfactory sensibilities, an aroma more akin to a river of warm, gently steaming pee than a giant bubbling pot of stuff recognisable on a Bristol stool chart.  :-X
You wanna try sharing a bedroom with him indoors some nights ! Its like chemical warfare with a lurking green mist. I tremble  in  fear some nights so much so,  I have to get the torch out and check his side of the bed for a No7 (Bristol Stool chart).

He blames me you know!  He says I experiment with his food (cooking) far too much !

"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 12:04:19 PM »
"For years every time in rained heavily the river advanced right up the fairly long and steeply sloping garden bringing with it the, um, surplus, from the water treatment plant.2

What one ITV reporter once referred to (on a beach) as "A Visible solid"  We had great fun with that one for years, and for once clearing out the cat tray became an fun event.

Offline Alex

• Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 08:05:36 PM »
The turn into Wood street pongs just as highly as outside B&Q on a hot summer day at present- I guess the drains are working as badly as they do in the area outside Debenhams in the summer.

I dread to think what Eau De Swindon might resemble.

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 08:30:47 PM »
Stagnant water?

According to a former teacher of mine it's a problem in the lower lying areas of Swindon (so why Wood Street pongs I don't know - unless it's water in the smugglers tunnels).