Author Topic: Interesting Comments on Swindon Borough Councils 'Housing' Facebook Page  (Read 4930 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

I've been reading SBC's 'Housing' facebook page with interest.  There's some interesting stuff being said and, now that there's more tenant interest in the page it's worth reproducing some of it here.

One such comment has been made by Jan Bailey.  Readers will probably remember that Jan is a tenant member of the Swindon Housing Association Board.

Her biography says that Jans' opinion of the potential transfer is that she: "Believes that it is important that everyone understands why this change must take place"

"Must" Take Place Jan ?

It seems Jan is determined to employ a wide range of tools from her pro-transfer toolbox, starting with reverse psychology:

Quote from: Jan Bailey, Swindon Housing Association Board Member

Jan Bailey   04 November 11:17

"If Swindon Borough Council Housing department are all about propaganda and politics can I ask, why anyone would want to stay with them?"

The answer to that is quite easy, but what isn't so clear is why Jan has not made it very clear in any of her comments on that page that she is a member of the Swindon Housing Association Board and is very pro-transfer?

Ruth Kiddle, regular attender of the West Swindon Forum and fellow Swindon Housing Association Board member has also joined the fray, but doesn't seem to anxious to involve herself with pesky tenants who keep asking awkward questions, (in fact it seems like neither Cllr Holland, Ruth Kiddle or Jan Bailey have answered any questions except those questions which are pro-transfer).

Quote from: Ruth Kiddle
Kiddle Ruth   05 November 15:38
These discussions can go on & on, But have you read the Offer Document sent out??
have you raised any concerns with the names & numbers given at the back of the book, Rember the closing date is 21st November.

Interpretation: "Shut up with your yacking, if you have any questions ask the tenants advisor...." 

Sorry Mrs Kiddle, it doesn't work like that ......  :wink:

George Elliot

Re: Interesting Comments on Swindon Borough Councils 'Housing' Facebook Page
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 10:23:41 AM »
Have they explained self financing to the tenants? Or just the preferred position as interpreted by the DWA independent tenant advisor?

It seems rather odd that Russell Holland got Labour to jump into their own gag by supporting a motion.  Yet he and the shadow board members Mrs Ruth Kiddle and Jan Bailey can merrily post away anything they want to?

Can anyone explain that one to me? If it is an FB page  for Swindon tenants then does it fall into a direct communication with Swindon tenants? Or can anyone join it and post?

Has Mrs Kiddle and Jan Bailey had their postings checked over by the  independant tenant advisor? Have they both got permission to speak for the shadow board chairman; whoever they are? Why is the chairman of the shadow board so secretive about their appointment?

Finally if this is a direct communication with tenants why has the shadow board member Jan Bailey not made it clear on the facebook page she is a member? Has she a moral duty to declare an interest?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 12:15:21 PM »
Just a few words on the quality of 'representation' Swindon Housing Association Board Member (Tenant) Ruth Kiddle is giving to her fellow tenants:

These quotes from the Swindon Borough Council Facebook Page:

Has anyone read pages 28 & 30 of their Offer Document? page 28 talks about "Right to buy" as we do now with the council with the max discount being £30.000 but page 30 talks about "Right to Acqurie" with max discount being £11.000 - I thought the two things were the same with a different title. who understands it.

To clear the air, Yes I am a tenant at Toothill & yes I am on the Shadow Board till early January 2012, then the board may disband or become a Full Board.

So Ruth finally admits to being on the Swindon Housing Association board....

...before publishing this little gem:

Kiddle Ruth posted in Swindon Housing

Hey, Just had a thought - IF we go to ballot & IF we get a yes vote to transfer, Will the no votes be so against the HA that they move to another Council area??

So, the un-elected and unaccountable tenants 'representative' shows exactly how 'inclusive', 'fair', 'impartial' and unbiased she is.  Single-handedly striving for community cohesion ? or, as seems more likely to me, she's picked what she hopes is the winning side and has started disparaging anyone who doesn't agree with hers, and the Conservatives 'preferred option'.....

...and it was no surprise to see a familiar troll lurch into view there yesterday so, yes Oliver, I read your 'barb' on the facebook page and I treated it with every ounce of respect it deserved and metaphorically polished a chocolate starfish with it  :wink: 

The tenants know Ollie D is a Conservative Cllr's boyfriend, so I look forward to watching him do his very best to unintentionally bugger Russell's VOTE YES TO TRANSFER  campaign up completely :)

I was a tenant who voted YES to transferring housing stock to a housing association in the UK's first large scale voluntary transfer.  After the council established Housing Association was inevitably swallowed by Sovereign Housing I exercised my right to buy just so I could get out from under them as a landlord.

Of course, if tenants do vote to transfer to the Swindon Housing Association, (my God, imagine having people with attitudes like Ruth Kiddle and Andy Harrison on the board making decisions which affected you), The Right to Buy vanishes, to be replaced by something called 'The Right To Acquire'.

I'll let members read up about the differences between the 'Right To Buy' and 'Right To Acquire', but does anyone intuitively think the change will benefit tenants? :popcorn:

George Elliot

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 07:30:32 PM »
but does anyone intuitively think the change will benefit tenants? :popcorn:

I do not believe this exercise is about what benefits the tenant the preferred option is the council's and short of having a loud hailer van driving through council estates pumping out the preferred position. The council is pumping hard under the weight of their own conviction. Ruth, Andy and Ollie D may want to assist Russell, though short of wearing sandwich boards and Tee shirts with the end is neigh emblazoned upon them I cannot see what they can add into the mix of the ongoing discussion on the council's preferred position.

Got Signal

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 08:03:48 PM »
Can anyone join the FB group or is it just tenants and invited people?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 10:44:20 PM »

Don't know - I know very little about Facebook  :-X

I was added to the group but didn't think it appropriate to chip into the discussions as I'm not an SBC tenant.

That said, now there are conservative activists trolling around in there amongst the tenants perhaps it is time to chip in with some accurate comment?, what do other TS members think?

George Elliot

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2011, 10:56:36 PM »
It is not about chipping in and putting the record straight, it is about fair play. If Trolling Tory activists are contributing why not other, in the interest of balance?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2011, 08:59:49 AM »
Someone sent me a request to be a friend of the page, I have put a couple of comments up but like Geoff, I'm not a tenant so I don't feel it's my place - but I would but in if I thought no one else would counter mis-information. 

I think it's interesting that SBC are now going to vote on whether or not to hold the ballot.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 09:15:04 PM »
P'raps SBC has gone Greek?
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
Why is Dale “Reindeer-man” Heenan suddenly being so nice to tenants of Council Houses? Is an election due?

Housing Minister approves Council plan to help struggling tenants

http://www.swindon.gov.uk/News/Pages/Housing-Minister-approves-Council-plan-to-help-struggling-tenants-.aspx

Swindon residents invited to look at home ownership opportunities

http://www.swindon.gov.uk/News/Pages/Swindon-residents-invited-to-look-at-home-ownership-opportunities.aspx

This is all a far cry from his plan to virtually gift the publicly owned houses to a business consortium.
What's it all about?

Offline Muggins

To be fair, probably fairer than I should be, I think the Swindon Torys or at least some of them, are now finding that the new legislation IS overbearing and cruel and that more people (than not) ARE genuinely in need of support.

They are using tenants money to help out Tenants in need.  I've only just heard it on the radio, so don't know the ins and outs.

No doubt Martin can tell us more about it.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)