Author Topic: The No To I.D Forum  (Read 8125 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
The No To I.D Forum
« on: March 30, 2006, 12:22:04 AM »
Here it is.

Enjoy  8)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 10:09:45 PM by Geoff Reid »

Offline Lynda

• "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
    • NO2ID Swindon
Re: The No To I.D Forum
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 05:55:45 PM »
NO2ID is a campaigning organisation opposed to the government's planned ID card and the National Identity Register.

Swindon NO2ID is one of dozens of local groups set up across the country,
It is a single-issue, non partisan group.
We are a group of indiviuals from all sections of the community, we seek to ensure that the case against ID Cards and the National Identity Register (NIR) is forcefully put forward in the media, in local government and at grassroots level.

We had hoped to defeat the ID Card Bill in Parliament, but we will continue our campaign until this government ( or the next ) retreats from possibly the most illiberal law we will witness.
The Identity Card Act will become Tony Blair's Poll Tax.

Lynda  NO2ID 07802 151464  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Lynda

• NO2ID Swindon
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 06:07:53 PM »
The NO2ID forum is a fine example of what one individual can do to help the campaign. One of our supporters created this forum and made it available for all of us to exchange views, check facts, debate and organise.
It is brilliant to have a local forum for us to meet on.
There is an excellent forum at the central NO2ID site, www.no2id.net
but this is ours, it is less remote and so more accesible for some.

We have an email distribution list as well as a mailling list ( if you want to be on either, contact me at swinond@no2id.net) this forum will compliment both of those and will mean that we can all chip into the discussions.

We have just finished the main Parliamentary process. The government will force us onto an identity register and give us the 'option of taking an ID Card ( which, incidentally you will pay for whether you 'accept' it or not)

We now move into phase 2 of our campaign.
Let it be known that many of us WILL NOT allow the government to become masters of our identity, we will continue to fight like ferrets ( an descrpition accorded to Charles Clarke by Andy Smth of the WDP ) and we WILL defeat this law.

Join us .

Lynda

swindon@no2id.net
07802 151464

Lynda  NO2ID 07802 151464  Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

karen leakey

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2006, 08:13:19 PM »
I subscribe to the NSPCC weekly e-letter and one of the topics involves finger-printing children at school - see link below

www.leavethemkidsalone.com

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2006, 08:22:52 AM »

Let it be known that many of us WILL NOT allow the government to become masters of our identity

Are you the same millions of people who would definitely NOT let Tony take us to war in Iraq?

Much as I support your cause, this government does whatever the hell it wants, regardless.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2006, 09:24:00 AM »
Much as I support your cause, this government does whatever the hell it wants, regardless.

That is very true.

However, if we do end up living in the totalitarian state we fear, it won't be because of complacency on our part.  :)

Every day of the week NO2ID coordinators are exchanging information, scrutinising the press, Hansard, government committee reports....ad infinitum, separating the wheat from the chaff, (so to speak), and publishing what we find so Joe Bloggs doesn't have to go looking himself.

The government has slipped so much bad, bad stuff past us, (the country), by relying on our utter disengagement from the political process. They're clever bastards really...they give catchy titles to stuff they do want you to pay attention to, e.g 'The Big Consultation', (now known as the 'Big Con'), and dull, harmless sounding titles to stuff they'd rather you didn't read, i.e, 'The Legislative and Regulatory Reform Bill'.

Quote from: www.saveparliament.org.uk/problem.php
The boringly-named Legislative and Regulatory Reform Bill started life as an extremely dangerous piece of legislation. It had the power to grant any minister the ability to amend, replace, or repeal existing legislation. The frightening thing is this: they would have been able to make major changes to the law without Parliament being able to examine it properly, taking away the ability of Parliament to meaningfully represent the citizens of this country.

More worryingly, the minister involved could have amended almost any existing legislation; nothing was protected. So, as was pointed out in The Times by 6 law professors from Cambridge, a minister would have been able to abolish trial by jury, suspend habeas corpus (your right not to be arbitrarily arrested), or change any of the legislation governing the legal system, with the only exceptions being the Bill itself and the Human Rights Act.

That would have been 700 years of democracy and the rule of law, thrown away in a heartbeat. What's left of the Magna Carta, the foundation of just about all modern democracies, would have been finally gone, and our Parliament, which has influenced democratic systems all over the world, would just be a footnote in history.

We're ordinary people, living ordinary private lives, doing ordinary jobs....and we just want that to continue living like that without the State looking over our shoulders, charging us to look, and then selling what they've learned to 'authorised' commercial concerns.

All we ask is that people consider the information we present, and when it comes to local and general election time, ask the candidates what their views are, and make a considered judgement on whether to vote for them, or not.

Personally, I will not ever vote for a candidate who supports even the notion of the National Identity Database or the compulsory 'enrolment' into an Identity Cards Scheme.

If enough people feel the same way, get off their arses and vote for MP's and Political Partys that will abolish the National Identity Register and Identity Cards, then this particularly disgusting 'Blairism' will be gone. Hopefully forever.

Offline Lynda

• NO2ID Swindon
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2006, 09:48:12 AM »

Let it be known that many of us WILL NOT allow the government to become masters of our identity

Are you the same millions of people who would definitely NOT let Tony take us to war in Iraq?

Well some of us are I expect, but really I have no idea what most people's position is on the war.

Thanks for your support 20 eyes, I disagree with you as it happens; this govt. will do as most do and that is whatever it takes to stay in power. As it realises that it will go down with it's ID Card Act, it'll scramble.

One other thing, this isn't 'our' cause. It's everyone's.

I implore you as one who cleary has integrity to write again to your MP expressing your opposition to the Identity Register.

Offline Dave Gould

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 09:44:01 AM »

And so will the public who we keep informed.

Why is New Labour £23 million in debt?  We may no longer live in a democracy but New Labour are still scared of the media.

Did you know the National Union of Journalists affiliated to NO2ID last week?

That's another 40,000 journalists getting regular briefings about the Govt's plans.

It's up to you what you do with this opportunity.  Only you can know whether you're doing enough to help the people you care about.
Bristol co-ordinator for NO2ID Alternative NO2ID FAQ: *Link Removed*

Offline Robert Buckland

• Parliamentary Spokesman (Cons)
  • Pingu and Bob in fisheries talks
    • robertbuckland.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 01:20:24 PM »
The Today programme is running a poll to determine which piece of legislation people would like to see scrapped.  I have voted for the inclusion of the ID Cards Act.  To do likewise, please go to http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/today/vote/2006vote/index.shtml.

At this stage, a shortlist of six statutes is being drawn up, ready for a vote to be held and for a result to be announced on New Years Day.  The ID Cards Act has already been nominated, but more comments from us supporting its nomination will help to ensure that it is on the final shortlist.
"Forever poised between a cliche and an indiscretion" (Harold Macmillan on being Foreign Secretary)

Offline ZPW

• Bob Wright better do a stellar job
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 03:58:47 PM »
Well sptted that man.
Thanks, I'm on the job.

Offline Tel Hudson

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 11:12:09 PM »
There is one difference between NO2ID and Iraq war opposition.  All serious parties barring Labour are opposed to ID cards.  A number of parties, such as the Conservatives, originally supported the war but lost their bottle when the true implications came out.  This totally undermines their credibility because you can never be certain why they are against it.

With the NO2ID campaign, they joined in the LibDems opposition virtually from the start and so their position is unequivocal.
I am right 96% of the time. I don't give an aerial intercourse about the other 5%..

Offline Lynda

• NO2ID Swindon
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 08:56:09 AM »
There is one difference between NO2ID and Iraq war opposition.  All serious parties barring Labour are opposed to ID cards.  A number of parties, such as the Conservatives, originally supported the war but lost their bottle when the true implications came out.  This totally undermines their credibility because you can never be certain why they are against it.

With the NO2ID campaign, they joined in the LibDems opposition virtually from the start and so their position is unequivocal.

I remind you that it was the Conservatives led by the good David Davis that ultimately let this Bill through.
As it is now on the statute book, no amount of 'support' for the NO2ID campaign will  suffice until the Act is revoked.
They will need to join the Lib. Dems again to repeal the Act.

Offline frank

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2007, 05:19:07 AM »
Thank you for inviting me over here to look around.
All I can see that the this ID issue is becoming one of the examples of an ongoing war between those in power and those ruled on. The script and the story is the same, everything repeats itself with different protagonists and antagonists. And a lot of energy is wasted on such issues that cannot be properly evaluated, because of the nature of identifying a problem and approaching a discussion (the essay style, list the pros and cons, and the play around with them without coming to a healthy conclusion). So though it looks as if it was a specific issue, it is not and will never be, as every issue is connected to many other issues and the focus is changed and shifted to another aspect and subject and we are back to square one. This is how I feel about a debate like this and identifying a problem like this (do we need IDs or not, is our liberty at stake or not, etc.)
Most of us have not got a clue what identity is anyway and are damned scared to use it if they have got one, like we or her real name (first and family name). Look at the internet with milions of fancy character names and ids of people who believe we live in a free society where we have no reason to hide or cover up our identities. But we, they do, they use all sort of aliases, pseudonames, assumed names. Why I wonder?
What is wrong here in the first place?
best regards, Frank