Author Topic: Fuel Sales Down 5% Is it cost or Recession?  (Read 2735 times)

Offline Steve Wakefield

Fuel Sales Down 5% Is it cost or Recession?
« on: October 05, 2011, 07:51:09 AM »
The AA are reporting that fuel sales are down 5%  year is that due to cost or recession ie people losing jobs or changing jobs to cut travel distance costs or car sharing could even be cycling?

I walk more, because of cost and ask myself if journey is really needed, I would think my consumption is down by half. Anyone else had a drastic cut in fuel, apart from Chav who went from gallons to the mile in a 4x4 to miles to the Amp?

The tresury it is reported is losing 1 Billion a year in fuel duty/tax will it be increased? Tesco report that the cost of fuel is retricting the number of visits to their out of town stores, but fuel sales are up?

All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
Re: Fuel Sales Down 5% Is it cost or Recession?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 08:17:15 AM »
Someone is still making a profit. Fuel in Cirencester is normally 3 to 5 pence, per litre,more than in Swindon. Last week-end we picked up fuel in Lancashire a full 7 pence per litre cheaper than the Cirencester price. (That's 31.82 pence per gallon extra! I think that equates to 6 shillings and 4d per gallon EXTRA per gallon........ I used to fill my motor bike up for just less than 5 bob!)

As I presume the suppliers in Lancashire are making a profit, what does that make the suppliers around here? To cap it all, a good slice of that profit is extra tax.
What's it all about?

ph1lc

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 08:39:08 AM »
Interesting queston this.

In the mid 70's trouble in the middle east meant the price of fuel virtually doubled in a few weeks. Car journeys in London reportedly fell by around 4%.

Does the current 5% fall mean that we've reached a price where the demand for fuel is elastic? That would be bad news for the treasury, unable to rely on raising duty to plug holes in their budget.

It would be interesting to see data on tobacco consumption, has that fallen too?

Slight bit of good news on petrol front, Brent Crude closed at under $100 a barrel last night - in the short term at least that will bring the price down.

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 09:29:55 AM »
Someone is still making a profit. Fuel in Cirencester is normally 3 to 5 pence, per litre,more than in Swindon. Last week-end we picked up fuel in Lancashire a full 7 pence per litre cheaper than the Cirencester price. (That's 31.82 pence per gallon extra! I think that equates to 6 shillings and 4d per gallon EXTRA per gallon........ I used to fill my motor bike up for just less than 5 bob!)

As I presume the suppliers in Lancashire are making a profit, what does that make the suppliers around here? To cap it all, a good slice of that profit is extra tax.

It may be more to with Stanlow refinery, which has at times kept prices pegged in that area?

Ph1lc

That is a good question about the tax take, if it slides to 15% over a year then that is more than just a worry, it will be a fiscal headache. Cycles may have to be taxed to make up for it?  :wink:
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline DavidPayne

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 02:40:03 PM »
The AA are reporting that fuel sales are down 5%  year is that due to cost or recession ie people losing jobs or changing jobs to cut travel distance costs or car sharing could even be cycling?

I know I am driving less, the cost having focussed me on doing the common-sense thing - there is nowhere in the central area of town that can't be walked and a bike takes care of the rest - and I expect my car use to continue to diminish as I get more practised.

Under the suffocating menace of endless warnings about pain to come in recent times and the real privations of austerity policies inflicted immediate upon the ravages of the global financial collapse, I can't imagine anyone who isn't loaded, not having undergone a radical, subliminal reconditioning of perspective -  it has been a 'slow train coming' that the economy would sieze as people instinctively pull in their purses, hunt tirelessly for value and those fortunate to have any kind of surplus income, look out the old buscuit tin.

The Internet fluently provides the means to find ways to save and share ideas and the numbers who are Net-savvy are growing by the day. In my small circle the chatter is all about making your money work for you, we share our insights and are as determined as hell.

My pitch is that for the foreseeable future progressively less money will be spent by the majority, that which is will want ever better value and the requirement of the capitalist scheme for GDP to grow by the year will not be satisfied.

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 04:01:03 PM »
Type of Fuel      Total Cost at Pump      Fuel Duty      VAT       % of Fuel Cost that is Tax
Unleaded                  132.7p                57.95p       22.12p                    60% 
Diesel                       139.1p                57.95p       23.18p                    58%
LPG                            76.4p                31.71p       12.73p                    58%

There you go.

Personally I'm doing less miles because I can't hack driving so much at the moment, I still smoke though, but I've rolled me own for years, I probably spend less on fags  than some spend on moccachoccalattes. I take teabags and a packed lunch to work incidentally., 8 bob for a gob full of something warm and brown is taking the mickey, I can have 80 cups of Torkshire tea for the price of six of those.

I think tax on fuel is a pernicious thing because it immediately puts a loading on all goods in the shopsas suppliers try to maintain their margin, I think most firms bulk buy but it catches up with you eventually. I know I've seen wagons from the South East with twin tanks, apparently so they can top up on the continent when the opportunity arises.

If they are £1bn down they'll recoup it from somewhere else and that's a fact, so that's something to look forward to.

Still, good news for polar bears.

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 08:43:20 PM »
There is another factor.

Our overall mileage isn't down significantly.. however the 2 cars we have are more economic than last year so whilst the cost of fuel is up the overall amount we're spending is about the same.

As cars are definitely getting more economic, that's got to be having an impact on overall fuel consumption as well...  (I remember that the cash for bangers scheme had quite a big impact on fuel consumption because the most popular cars under that scheme were pretty economic compared to what they were replacing..)

Moley

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 08:50:08 PM »
I pay around £2.97p per week to charge me leaf  :)
That gives me 117 miles of battery life.

I plug it in like I do my hair dryer and let it trickle charge over night.
I have yet to see any fast charge outlets in Swindon.

I would have thought there would have been a couple. I have only seen one other Nissan leaf in Swindon and parked next to it outside the Range - power to the EV I thought!   >:D

I do love it though  O0 O0
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Alex

• Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 07:20:53 AM »
The car comes out for essential journeys only- out of Swindon usually- but where there isn't an available railway- like Cirencester or Wantage. 

I have reduced my journeys by 80% + over the last 7 years.

My old car is growing a bit of moss on one of the windows and I have a pet spider on the driver's side wing mirror- he seems to enjoy the experience on the odd occasion he gets a look at the countryside.

I'd love  a Leaf- but not till the old girl  has popped her clogs- which is unlikely to happen as she's not  getting used much so won't wear out  - and a Leaf would need a garage- so we'd have to move.