Author Topic: Tory Scandal Cllr Bawden To Compulsory Purchase Land and Cut Down 250 Trees !  (Read 11100 times)

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
Re: Tory Scandal Cllr Bawden To Compulsory Purchase Land and Cut Down 250 Trees !
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2011, 03:33:51 PM »
So many threads.. so little time...

Have emailed both Cllr Bluh and Mr G Jones to ask about this CPO as this is 'breaking news' and whether this would be a'material consideration' on a planning application?  Oh, and also the small matter of the Marriott knowing.

However what I think Mr B has done is , despite stating that he has 'no personal opinion' on the access to the Proposed School , confirm that in order to make the access work they would have to CPO  a whole street ( we thought it would have to be Evelyn st..but you get the drift...). Where is all this money coming from?

PS... have just received a Survey from Mr Buckland MP..  The Croft School Proposal is conspicuous by its absence as are pictures of the Old Town 3 ... interesting...

maybe it is time for the Old Town 3 to be pursuing career opportunities 'outside of the industry'..
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline Steve Wakefield

Re: Tory Scandal Cllr Bawden To Compulsory Purchase Land and Cut Down 250 Trees !
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2011, 04:31:51 PM »
So many threads.. so little time...

Have emailed both Cllr Bluh and Mr G Jones to ask about this CPO as this is 'breaking news' and whether this would be a'material consideration' on a planning application?  Oh, and also the small matter of the Marriott knowing.

However what I think Mr B has done is , despite stating that he has 'no personal opinion' on the access to the Proposed School , confirm that in order to make the access work they would have to CPO  a whole street ( we thought it would have to be Evelyn st..but you get the drift...). Where is all this money coming from?

PS... have just received a Survey from Mr Buckland MP..  The Croft School Proposal is conspicuous by its absence as are pictures of the Old Town 3 ... interesting...

maybe it is time for the Old Town 3 to be pursuing career opportunities 'outside of the industry'..

A survey, without a question in hmm why? Is the proposed Croft School a nontroversy in Old Town for politicians?
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2011, 06:03:21 PM »
Not sure that I follow what you mean. A Compulsory Purchase Order might be used, for example, where access to a site is required across someone else's land (e.g. a house, garden, field or woodland area). The council has to pay for the purchase, with the value being determined by an independent valuation (but is usually less than the previous market value). Adopting a road is similar, in that the council has to make an order, which can be objected to, to take over the road, but as it also effectively involves a commitment from the council to maintain the road in the future, the cost is often to whoever they are taking the land from. So if you lived on a private road, which the council then decided to adopt, as part of the adoption order they may choose to levy a one-off charge on the residents of the road, as they are taking over from the residents the cost of maintaining the road.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline trudy333

• Hello !
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2011, 08:01:04 PM »
In this case, the council own the land on which the lane is built on - the cost and duty of maintenance is the formal responsibility of the croft sports centre - who maintain the road to a minimum standard. The council should - arguably - have  adopted the road formally some years ago, but chose not to. The issue is that even if they do now adopt it, it is widely accepted as providing inadequate access - as it would still be a small lane that is overused - carrying all traffic to the croft sports centre, childrens centre , local  residents, new football hub and all lorries to the Marriott Hotel.  Mike Bawden stated that the only way they could make it work would be to CPO some of the the Marriott land ( full car park ) and remove over 250 trees ( with recorded  bats and assorted birds and wildlife)  He pretty much stated that they could CPO whatever they wanted to - whatever anyone thought. 

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2011, 09:16:55 PM »
It's not quite that straightforward for the council to compulsorily purchase land, but the options for objecting are rather limited. And no doubt the Marriott Hotels would be more easily persuaded to come to some arrangement than the average private resident would.
http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/planningandbuilding/compulsorypurchase
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2011, 09:39:35 PM »
Just stumbled upon this http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-14850961 looks like SBC aren't the only council out there wanting to build schools people don't want.  Mind you this one appears to have been shelved by Cardiff council as there wasn't enough government money available (so where is the Croft money from ??? ).

In a twilight zone style coincidence the Cardiff council leaders name can be shorten to Rod...  :o

Edit: Blast wrong section, will post in the main Croft discussion as well  :embarassed:

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 03:45:23 PM »
It's not quite that straightforward for the council to compulsorily purchase land, but the options for objecting are rather limited. And no doubt the Marriott Hotels would be more easily persuaded to come to some arrangement than the average private resident would.
http://www.communities.gov.uk/publications/planningandbuilding/compulsorypurchase

Thanks... we have asked for and await clarification from Cllr Bluh and Mr Jones of SBC.
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2011, 09:42:55 PM »
I see Cllr Mike Bawden had his own page in the Adver today. Was it something to do with Scrutiny on Monday night?
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2011, 08:34:49 PM »
It would seem that the Adver were following up on Cllr B's statements at Scrutiny  that 'objections to the (proposed) new school are only coming from a few local residents ... can I stress that the vast majority of people are supportive of the Croft Project. I have been around a while and can probably make a judgement on what people think'

So... a bit of a muddle.. does the Cllr know what people think or does he think he knows what they think ?

Rhetoric , rhetoric and more rhetoric... and never a fact in sight.  There was a slight whiff of desperation in the pontification..

The elected representative continued to 'diss' his constituents who were in the audience...  Didn't a certain Mr Ratner do something akin to this...

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 10:23:39 AM »
Everyone tells me that a CPO is a big deal... and costs a few pennies...not sure that there are many pennies going begging in Swindon..... may be that Wifi deal may bring pennies from Heaven?

Well... a request for clarification was sent to the Council Leader and CEO..

Our Council leader said that he would get back to me on the CPO...

I think that the 10 days (is this Promise #8?) service level agreement may just be up and nothing has been heard.... will have to chase this up today .

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2011, 10:42:24 AM »
JennyB

It is 10 working days, so bear that in mind?

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2011, 10:48:23 AM »
Steve,

thanks... I always think in working days... old habits die hard!

J

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2011, 11:49:07 AM »
JennyB

:embarassed: not trying to teach the proverbial egg, only making a point about information. Have you got the 350 signature yet and does the petition include the 250 trees?

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2011, 03:18:19 PM »
JennyB

It is 10 working days, so bear that in mind?

10 working days are up... reminder sent... answer awaited ....

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
well I did get a response about 10 days ago.. which basically said I was all wrong ( and I think that people who were not there also said I was wrong).. and that I was being very hard on folks ..and that I had been asking so many questions( some kind chappie had even counted them for me!).

And I basically said... well  I didn't bring up the Subject of CPO's ..it was that Gentleman over there and now that it is out  in the open ...don't you think that you need to answer this..

... and no response...

this could be an infinite loop. 

Offline Alex

• Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
This and the Wifi thread might well be candidates for Private Eye's Paul Foot Award :

http://www.private-eye.co.uk/paul_foot.php? for real investigative journalism. 

If you won, that might embarrass enough people in SBC  that it elicits  a meaningful response from those paid by our taxes to provide a service. 

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
Oh Alex,

sad to say.. we have so much more....

J

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
Well,

Received a very nice letter to day stating not to worry there are no plans for a CPO around the Marriott.

that's good then.

Now all we have to worry about are the trees around the Croft and Hesketh Crescent as well as the trees on the large bank running from the Old Railway Bridge to the Marriott/Intel mini roundabout... as we wouldn't want to lose these either.

Still reading the planning application..

J

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
Probably introduce development enabling beavers to go with the development hindering bats.

Nature eah? Never can tell.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline bobwright

2 steps forward and 1 step back for the community forest.