Author Topic: Tory Scandal Cllr Bawden To Compulsory Purchase Land and Cut Down 250 Trees !  (Read 11096 times)

Got Signal

Cllr Bawden stated they were now looking at a Compulsory Purchase Order of land to the rear of the Marriott ( which includes approx 250 trees) to widen the access. (And in 'his opinion' this school will be built).

Scandalous outrageous is this man a builder or a bulldozer? 

Offline trudy333

• Hello !
I heard this too - Mike Bawden said that the school has his full support,  always did have and will be built. He refused to engage about the very questionable business case and the numbers that still dont add up. Bawden  said the only thing to sort was the access and that the croft spur could be changed to make it work. When asked how, he said it was within the council power to get the Marriott hotel to sell their land to enable the widening of the road. He dismissed the fact that their space is already full and there are over 200 trees that create a natural barrier between the hotel and the lane. He pretty much stated  the council can do whatever they want.  I have just been told that there are also bats in the trees - apparently  the Marriott put bat boxes up some time ago - mentioned in the newspaper at the time. It is interesting to note that the planning application conveniently excluded this section of the lane - the key entry point  - in their application and instead chose to "Red Line " the plans to Hesketh Crescent.  According to SBC , this is because they only need to indicate an address and as the school will face Hesketh Crescent - this is just fine according to them.  Interesting - we heard this is illegal.  Also interesting that the council spent over £26,000 on a widely derided traffic report that forgot to include 200 houses, was done when the centre was shut and didnt include any information at all about this key section of the lane. In the presentation, there was no awareness of the entry point for all deliveries to the Marriott hotel & dry riser for the safety of 500 + guests. Was this area excluded because this is an unadopted road and plans have to show access from a public highway? Advised this is also illegal.   So many questions - so few answers , but apparently its all open and transparent???.  Funny how the meeting last night was thought by many to be the long overdue ( 80+ days overdue) Old Town and lawn meeting then morphed into the cluster meeting - with no Old town and lawn concerns about the croft on the agenda. In fact , only by pushing hard did the residents get any information at all from two of the ward councillors. What kind of an example is this to the future generations of swindon.   

Offline Steve Wakefield

I don't think any councillor can do this unilaterally, it, think it will have to be an executive decision unless its dealt with by exec member decision note like the wifi was. However it depends on the price and the Act the Act may require a council decison?

I wonder if the neighbours have been consulted and who owns the wood, I would have thought that for this to have been announced at a cluster meeting it must be pretty well on the way or the landowner may be a little miffed to find out about after it was said in a public meeting? I wonder if the landowner is the  Marriott and has already given its consent?
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline trudy333

• Hello !
Bawden made the pronouncement in response to questions about access - it was not said in the general stage of the cluster meeting - but on the way out infront of a number of people. The neighbours had not been approached. In fact , turns out that Bawden had a conversation with a resident from another part of Old town a couple of weeks ago and mentioned this  to him then - with no thought to the people - his local residents - hearing it second or third hand - or even last night. Don't know how far he has got with talking to the Marriott but gut feeling is that he hasn't got far yet - but to be honest , It was clear to anyone who heard him last night that when asked whether the hotel would mind - he was  dismissive - it didn't seem to matter to him at all whether the hotel wanted to do it or not - his words were  along the lines of we can do what we want.  Never mind the setting , the wedding photos, the commercial needs of the hotel..... MBawden's opinion repeated many time last night is the council can forcibly purchase whatever they like.  So watch out - bats? Houses? Croft wood next? And all for a school that has a woeful business case - whats really going on here???   

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
I notice that Mr Renard has been tweeting this morning about discussing access issues for the proposed school.
Quote from: Mr Renard
Quick discussion with an officer on a property issue near a school

His previous tweet was
Quick Meeting with Director of Access and Provision to talk about the proposes Croft school

so I'm assuming both were about the same school.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Weebleman

So we can say "bugger the bats" we want when it comes to knocking down trees to get our own way, yet we can't knock down the old college because of........ Errrrr.........BATS!

Does not compute.....

Offline Alex

• Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
So...more trees to go according to Old Town councillors- the lungs of Swindon reduced even further- so much for their green credentials. Soon no-one will be able to breathe. 

I know people who treasure that wood and and keep it clean and free from  litter - on a voluntary basis- who will be heartbroken about this.  :'(
So much for the Big Society too.

Does make you wonder what is really going on. Anyone care to speculate?

Broken Britain? Broken Swindon certainly.

Offline Muggins

What wood is it?   What's it called?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Bobby Bingo

Is this Bawdens last throw of the dice before he is deselected. The leading tories will be all scrambling for safe seats in May so Bawden and Foley need to look over their shouiders. Remember Bluh ousted Bawden for the leadership and there is  no love lost between them.
Why oh why cannot some of these elderly councillors realise they are past their "sell by dates" and just retire gracefully.
Bobby

Offline trudy333

• Hello !
To clarify - the wooded area....... Bawden stated last night that the  school  (  aka Croft) has always had his full support and that access is most likely to be  via the unadopted section of Marlborough lane. When it was raised that this has been deemed as an unsafe and unacceptable access in addition to  being unadopted - he waved this all away saying " We can do a CPO on it." The Wooded area is the strip that runs the full length of the unadopted section - from the top down to the Marriott delivery point - at the very entrance to the proposed school   . The counted trees = between 200 + 250 individual trees - with the wildlife , birds & bats that live in them.
This long established bank of trees ( been here at least 20 + years)  provides a natural , low cost, low maintenance  barrier between the Marriott Hotel and the lane.   Everyone who drives to the Croft passes these.   This is not the Great copse, but is important in terms of numbers and its valuable purpose in acting as a safe,clean, healthy barrier between the full Marriott Car Park  and the lane - but according to bulldozer B - they can just be CPO'd away. ( Along with part of the Marriott)  - funny there was nothing included  in the £26,000 traffic assessment that forgot to mention the section of road  Based on this attitude -  what's to stop  B*****  CPOing  anything that gets in the way?  including the Great copse?  Totally agree with earlier comment, We should be protecting the few precious areas of natural beauty that are in Swindon.  We've learnt that amongst many other omissions in the planning application  nothing was included anything about Policy R4 or ENV 20 - protection of green spaces etc.   - should have been included but weren't.
 More than one experienced person has suggested that the temporary school ( £600,000 ) was put on the site  to create a precedent , trying to  sneakily wriggle out of complying with these rules to protect green space . Call me cynical - but is this why there has been no explanation or heads rolling about the temporary school only serving 15 kids at most - instead of  60 predicted by the great mathematicians?  Maybe the numbers never mattered at all, just the opportunity to put the building there  to "set precedent? " - making  signing off a permanent school seem easier.   Was the community lied to when they asked questions about the temporary school ?  What's next . Apparently no need to worry - SBC states that  the process is robust, open and transparent.   Where in the world ? Help.  Scrutiny meeting Council Offices monday evening. 

Offline Muggins

Re: Tory Scandal Cllr Bawden To Compulsory Purchase Land and Cut Down 250 Trees !
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 04:50:05 PM »
Was trying to get my head round the CPOing, there was me thining it was a typo and you meant a TPO!!  (tree preservation order).  I'm not familiar with this woodland, but I bet it's been planted with 'grant' money if it's in the last 20 years.   If its 'just' a strip of trees it could be a valuable wildlife corridor and planted to be one.

As to the temporary school with so few pupils, it this because the rest of the development has not gone ahead. i.e. it was put there anticpating more pupils?

I know there is an active community/action group in your area and has been for years,  what are they doing/saying.  Sure as fate they will know the answers to my questions.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Jean

• Jefferies Land Conservation Trust
Re: Tory Scandal Cllr Bawden To Compulsory Purchase Land and Cut Down 250 Trees !
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 04:56:02 PM »
Be warned about access arrangements that can be outside of planning permission and not consulted upon. The badgers learnt to their cost that the belt of trees that sheltered their setts were completely destroyed to make access to the new hospital on the Marlborough Road. This did not form part of the planning permission. After 13 badgers were killed on the road trying to access their setts (that had been fenced off),  I was told that Highways didn't have to get planning permission for access arrangements (apart from consulting with Natural England about destroying badger setts)! 

Natural England will also be consulted about bat roosts. But take it from me, Natural England is now so under-resourced and short-staffed that they can't possibly do the right things for any protected species or their habitats.  It's down to people to protect habitats and I've never known Bawden to be the slightest bit interested in environmental protection. 
Live simply so that others might simply live

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 05:24:46 PM »
What wood is it?   What's it called?

It could perhaps be Great Copse that's behind Intel and the Marriot (remember going there as kid to pick brambles).

Offline trudy333

• Hello !
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 06:04:57 PM »
The Wooded area is the strip that runs the full length of the unadopted section - from the top down to the Marriott delivery point - at the very entrance to the proposed school   . The counted trees = between 200 + 250 individual trees - with the wildlife , birds & bats that live in them.
This long established bank of trees ( been here at least 20 + years)  provides a natural , low cost, low maintenance  barrier between the Marriott Hotel and the lane.   Everyone who drives to the Croft passes these.   This is not the Great copse, but is important in terms of numbers and its valuable purpose in acting as a safe,clean, healthy barrier between the full Marriott Car Park  and the lane - but according to bulldozer B - they can just be CPO'd away. ( Along with part of the Marriott)  - funny there was nothing included  in the £26,000 traffic assessment that forgot to mention the section of road  Based on this attitude -  what's to stop  B*****  CPOing  anything that gets in his way? The great copse next perhaps - based on precedent?  CPO = Compulsory purchase order - removal of trees if so chosen.

Offline trudy333

• Hello !
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 06:06:51 PM »
Be warned about access arrangements that can be outside of planning permission and not consulted upon. The badgers learnt to their cost that the belt of trees that sheltered their setts were completely destroyed to make access to the new hospital on the Marlborough Road. This did not form part of the planning permission. After 13 badgers were killed on the road trying to access their setts (that had been fenced off),  I was told that Highways didn't have to get planning permission for access arrangements (apart from consulting with Natural England about destroying badger setts)! 

Natural England will also be consulted about bat roosts.

Thanks for this info - Is this why the section of Marlborough lane wasnt included on their plans  perhaps????  Good to know what we are dealing with in advance.

Got Signal

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 06:10:36 PM »
Is there any Great Crested Newts, Natterjack Toads,  slow worms, grass snakes rare fauna, fungus, mushrooms, bees, butterfly and or molluscus'?

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 09:14:23 PM »
I have spoken to some people today who were to put it mildly stunned when they had heard about this, I was asked lots of questions and beside this and the Tweets by Cllr David Renard that Komadori posted up I could tell them nothing.

Can anyone update?
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline trudy333

• Hello !
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 09:55:26 PM »
Thanks Talkswindon for the information that Councillor Renard has been tweeting to the world  - interesting to hear that these were " Quick " meetings -   -  Sounds as thorough as other meetings on the Croft school then?  As we no doubt pay for Councillor Renard's time and Tweeting, when will he enlighten us as to which property he is referring to , the issue and its relevance to the previous tweet? This would add a touch of responsibility and transparency to an otherwise somewhat opaque situation.   Does the "property" issue refer to MBawden's publically stated assertions that he can CPO the Marriott Hotel's land?

"
I notice that Mr Renard has been tweeting this morning about discussing access issues for the proposed school.
Quick discussion with an officer on a property issue near a school

His previous tweet was
Quick Meeting with Director of Access and Provision to talk about the proposes Croft school

so I'm assuming both were about the same school. "  "

Offline trudy333

• Hello !
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 10:16:32 PM »
 Ref Steve Wakefield's  questions - a number of people  heard Mike Bawden's pronouncements from him in person  - both at the end of the long overdue Old Town/ Lawn meeting that morphed into the cluster meeting - and in a couple of his "individual personal chats" . In response to the question about species -  in 2008 the Marriott hotel installed a number of bat boxes and it is apparently a pleasure to witness the colony returning into the trees on  early evenings. An expert has suggested that there may well be even more worth protecting in this corridor of wildlife and is keen to explore further.   

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 11:32:14 PM »
Ref Steve Wakefield's  questions - a number of people  heard Mike Bawden's pronouncements from him in person  - both at the end of the long overdue Old Town/ Lawn meeting that morphed into the cluster meeting - and in a couple of his "individual personal chats" . In response to the question about species -  in 2008 the Marriott hotel installed a number of bat boxes and it is apparently a pleasure to witness the colony returning into the trees on  early evenings. An expert has suggested that there may well be even more worth protecting in this corridor of wildlife and is keen to explore further.

It is good to see the Marriott carrying out such a project in its locality. I do not know, but from what I heard today I think some others may think about joining you to save the trees and wildlife.