Author Topic: Labour accused of putting a stick in Rikki's WiFi hole and wiggling it.  (Read 28105 times)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
Re: Labour accused of putting a stick in Rikki's WiFi hole and wiggling it.
« Reply #60 on: September 08, 2011, 05:46:02 PM »
No signs of turning into a toad yet, so I'm hopeful.

Bugger.

I've just made it worse haven't I?

Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #61 on: September 08, 2011, 06:10:39 PM »
Mart, If you see a Mobility Scooter coming at you at full tilt, you're gonna need a set of  nice new trainers, from a friendly Hoodie, to get away!
What's it all about?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2011, 06:30:27 PM »
Nope, couldn't be worse than the first dig - you know me, not a glass slipper kind of gal, more a Madam Mimm.

However, should my prince come along (at last) you'll need more than a plain old stick to remove what he might wiggle in the hole with - best stick a magnet on the end, because you won't be able to see what you are wiggling at.

PS can you run faster than 4.25mph?  Although if you get more than 10 miles in front, you'll be safe.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2011, 07:24:58 PM »
I can traverse the living room in under 1hr at the moment, if you have an ounce of mercy you'll give me a head start.

I blame the doctor what changed my medication everythings a bit  :crazy2: at the moment.

My defence is temporary insanity, failing that I'm willing to plead for my life.

Can I have a kneeling and begging for mercy icon please.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #64 on: September 08, 2011, 07:29:00 PM »
Komadori makes a good point - I did consider the same issue but felt that if Gavin Jones said 'Rikki Hunt contacted the Council and given my question referred to the 'executive' of the Council, hs answer would be all embracing and honest.  But, in deference to the query i have sent this to the CE

Dear Gavin

Just to be absolutely clear and to avoid any misunderstanding whatsoever in terms of the use of words, when you say ‘Rikki Hunt approached the Council’ do you mean

He approached employed officers or an officer of the Council
He approached elected members or a member of the Council
He approached members or a member of the Cabinet
He approached the Council by way of simply communicating with SBC

I ask these questions not to be ‘pedantic’ but simply to avoid confusion over semantics.

I am pleased that Coun Bluh has answered my question in respect of the political administration and i replicate it here

Dear Des

Rikki's statement was a complete surprise to me as well as the Chief Exec and others.

For my part I had no idea that Rikki was working on such a project until I was informed about it by the Chief Exec and my understanding has always been that he took the idea to the Chief Exec in the first instance.  This accords with the Chief Exec's recollection of events.

Regards

Rod

I have checked my papers and can confirm that it has always been the case that the line was that RH brought the project to the council in June 2009.

Offline komadori

• komadori's green corner
« Reply #65 on: September 08, 2011, 07:38:08 PM »
The pedant in me can still see some wriggle room for ambiguity there, but I'll let it pass, primarily because so much else of what Mr Hunt had to say in that Adver article has been demonstrated to be inaccurate.
If something's worth doing it's worth doing in green. komadori's green c

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #66 on: September 08, 2011, 07:38:51 PM »
Des do you think that Rod has finally woken up to what he has actually done now and the nature of he with whom he has involved us and our £400,000 loan?

PS welcome back Komadori, you have been really missed!!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #67 on: September 08, 2011, 07:54:42 PM »
Des do you think that Rod has finally woken up to what he has actually done now and the nature of he with whom he has involved us and our £400,000 loan?

I'm not Des, but....

I think he has, he'd have to be pretty dense not to, and I don't think he's dense at all.

The question is what is he going to do about it and how? It's a bit of a crossroads for him really and an opportunity to partially reinvent himself in a positive way.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #68 on: September 08, 2011, 09:06:22 PM »
The question is what is he going to do about it and how? It's a bit of a crossroads for him really and an opportunity to partially reinvent himself in a positive way.

Well maybe he could take lessons from his mate RH!!

After all he got you into this mess Rod, didn't he/

The blame game is just about to start!!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #69 on: September 08, 2011, 09:18:47 PM »
Des do you think that Rod has finally woken up to what he has actually done now and the nature of he with whom he has involved us and our £400,000 loan

Blimey Mart - I couldn't have answered it better myself.

I think you are right.  Coun Bluh probably wishes he had never done the deal with RH - however, i am equally sure he still thinks the principle of the Wi-Fi project had and has merit.  I supported the principle of the Wi-Fi project from day one as did many of the so called cynics. Unlike Coun Bluh I was very clear from day one that RH was bad news and i said so, I thought the financial projections were nonsense and i said so, finally i thought the implementation time line was a joke and i said so.

Today, i'm not at all sure that a Wi-Fi deal has commercial merit, the technology has moved on apace and the need for a lamp post based technology is toatlly disproven. Swindon has over 65% coverage for Broadband - we are first in the country still well ahead of Cardiff our nearest competitor and if they overtake us we will still be numero uno in England.  Let me quote from the Norwich study, information I gave to Coun Bluh and RH in December 2009.

"One of the issues we discovered was that lamp posts were not the best place to hang acess points - we found lamp posts varied in the way they  are wired and configured. Where in the psot the wire goes in for example could mean a more expensive installation. Also putting extra holes could compromise the integirty of the post. Other issues involved getting access to them"

I await with interest the revelations to be heralded next week.  Do I think i'll be amazed, no. Will I be delighted - no because I am sure this is an expedient fudge to cover a sad 24 months. But let's wait and see as i said two years ago when i first set out my concerns about the DC project - i hope i'm wrong.

Got Signal

« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2011, 09:47:43 PM »
Is there a possibility you can reproduce the document as there maybe more questions to ask?

Komadori makes a good point - I did consider the same issue but felt that if Gavin Jones said 'Rikki Hunt contacted the Council and given my question referred to the 'executive' of the Council, hs answer would be all embracing and honest.  But, in deference to the query i have sent this to the CE

Dear Gavin

Just to be absolutely clear and to avoid any misunderstanding whatsoever in terms of the use of words, when you say ‘Rikki Hunt approached the Council’ do you mean

He approached employed officers or an officer of the Council
He approached elected members or a member of the Council
He approached members or a member of the Cabinet
He approached the Council by way of simply communicating with SBC

I ask these questions not to be ‘pedantic’ but simply to avoid confusion over semantics.

I am pleased that Coun Bluh has answered my question in respect of the political administration and i replicate it here

Dear Des

Rikki's statement was a complete surprise to me as well as the Chief Exec and others.

For my part I had no idea that Rikki was working on such a project until I was informed about it by the Chief Exec and my understanding has always been that he took the idea to the Chief Exec in the first instance.  This accords with the Chief Exec's recollection of events.

Regards

Rod

I have checked my papers and can confirm that it has always been the case that the line was that RH brought the project to the council in June 2009.

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2011, 09:56:13 PM »
Is there a possibility you can reproduce the document as there maybe more questions to ask?

Got Signal - Not sure what you mean ??

Got Signal

« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2011, 10:06:16 PM »
Des

No need to Hansard obliged
Swindon borough council has provided a loan of £450,000 on commercial terms to Digital City to enable it to create the wi-fi network across Swindon. In return for that loan, the council has received a 40 per cent. equity stake in the company. If the loan is repaid within two years, Avidity Consulting has an option to purchase 5 per cent. of the company's shares from the council for £1. Avidity already has a 25 per cent. stake in the company. The other shareholder is aQovia, which holds the remaining 35 per cent. of the company. Digital City intends to install wireless internet across the entire borough of Swindon. Both Digital City and Avidity Consulting were incorporated on 14 August 2009 as off-the-shelf companies. They became active on 21 and 22 September respectively and thus have a negligible track record. On 13 March 2009, aQovia was incorporated and it appears to have become active on 16 September, and thus it also has a limited track record.

According to a timeline produced for me on 19 March 2010 by the chief executive of the council, for which I am grateful, discussions commenced at officer level at the council on 19 January 2009 involving the instigator of the initiative, Rikki Hunt, and members of aQovia. According to the timeline:

"On 25th June 2009 Rikki Hunt presented an outline proposal to the Leader and various members of the Cabinet; this consisted of the business idea, the level of investment that was being sought and the potential level of return if the Council chose to invest. Subsequently, officers were asked to do some more detailed work in order for a funding proposition to be considered.

3rd - 10th July 2009 a financial plan and written outline business case was received from Rikki Hunt."

The question  maybe how did Rikki get it so wrong?

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2011, 10:23:26 PM »
discussions commenced at officer level at the council on 19 January 2009 involving the instigator of the initiative, Rikki Hunt, and members of aQovia

mmm Taking Komadoris more sceptical view (not wrong of him) there is still a case to ask how members of aQovia existed in January 2009 when aQovia didn't exist until September 2009.  But maybe that's just a technical issue of registering the company name?

I am sure RH will have a good and plausible answer for hsi claim and I woudl hope that Gavin Jones will be writing to him to ask him to withdraw his comment and apologise for the error, or maybe not, after all errors of fact are not new to RH - he claimed to be a director of Forward Swindon when he wasn't but equally Hitesh Patel claimed not to be a director of Digital City when he was - that was after he claimed to eb a director when he was - you can see how the Wi-fi project has blighted peoples careers.  we now have the issue of  - is Coun Perkins an executive director or a non-executive director, does he know what he is?

Offline komadori

« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2011, 10:27:14 PM »
The question  maybe how did Rikki get it so wrong?
By the simple matter of having no experience whatsoever in the industry he was about to enter. There's also the 'slight' matter, given his track record, of what would count as 'wrong' for Mr Hunt. If he considers "start a company, get others to invest, move on, watch company fail" to be normal, then he may not really count it as wrong. Until a few months ago, he's made a fairly could career out of that model.

Offline komadori

« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2011, 10:33:28 PM »
mmm Taking Komadoris more sceptical view (not wrong of him) there is still a case to ask how members of aQovia existed in January 2009 when aQovia didn't exist until September 2009.  But maybe that's just a technical issue of registering the company name?
If you recall, there are several aQovia's, related by people involved rather than share ownership in some cases.

aQovia Ltd, incorporated in the Isle of Man, 11 December 2006
aQovia Group Ltd, incorporated in the Isle of Man, 23 February 2009
aQovia UK Ltd, incorporated in England, 13 March 2009 (but not active until September 2009).

Got Signal

« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2011, 10:51:24 PM »
Des

Hansard
Did officers insist on one of their own number sitting on the Digital City board because they were concerned about the closeness of Mr. Hunt to councillors and the council processes, and did they recently realise that this decision would instead compromise them and therefore decide to run a mile from it?

Perhaps that was a reason he was when he was?

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #77 on: September 09, 2011, 09:00:51 AM »
Apologies if this link has already been posted elsewhere, but this BBC News article covers the issues of free wifi and specifically mentions the Swindon experience.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-14835059

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2011, 04:58:51 PM »
One issue stiill bugging me is that concerning phase 1 - Highworth. To recap :-

1. Highworth was the trial and £150k of SBC's loan was released for phase 1.
2. Highworth was 90% completed and launched 16 December 2009.
3. First quarter performance measured (in line with loan agreement) and found to be severely lacking in some critical areas - namely take up and sales. I think they are critical issues for a company which was selling a product.
4. Officers insisted that it was 'essential and in the Councils best interests for the rest of the loan to be paid over - this would allegedly stimulate investor interest, provide funding for the roll out to be progressed and protect the initial loan of £150k.

Having read and re-read the papers again and again and again - I can't find any direct or covert references which would lead me to conclude that councillors were being asked to provide any of the second tranche of money to pay for phase1.  I suspect (although i doubt they would admit this) councillors imagined the £150k had been used up on phase 1 and that the £250k was all about phase 2 (whatever phase 2 was). 

I mention phase 2 because it was based on the Forward Business Plan for phase 2 that the money was loaned - that is a fact not an opinion. Whereas Coun perkins has admitted that some (I await with interest the breakdown as promised at the cabinet meeting) of the £250k was used to pay off invoices for phase 1 which leads me to conclude that phase 1 cost more than £150k in which case just how much did the Forward Business Plan say phase 2 was going to cost and just how was it going to be financed. It's no good officers saying - we didn't know, they saw the business plan and approved it.  It seems that some officers really do need to answer some questions, sadly I suspect Council processes will ensure those officers are kept well away from any real scrutiny. 

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2011, 08:32:36 AM »
Des do you think that Rod has finally woken up to what he has actually done now and the nature of he with whom he has involved us and our £400,000 loan

Blimey Mart - I couldn't have answered it better myself.

I think you will find I said this Des!