Author Topic: Rod Bluh - Leader of Swindon Council Waxes Lyrical About His WiFi'asco April 2011  (Read 11917 times)

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
'BT said they wanted a £7m investment from the Council'

I am sure some will recall it was question from me that prompted Mr Hitesh Patel to comment that SBC had been approached by BT in 2006 but the answer provided by Mr Patel never mentioned £7 million is was simply stated that nothing further became of the initial discussions.

Coun Bluh said that the '2006 talks' were on the web - anyone have a reference or did he make that up?

Got Signal

Cllr Bluh said that the '2006 talks' were on the web - anyone have a reference or did he make that up?

I searched, but could not find it, I don't think the council leader would make it up... would he?  :embarassed:

Offline Richard Symonds

Cllr Bluh said that the '2006 talks' were on the web - anyone have a reference or did he make that up?

I searched, but could not find it, I don't think the council leader would make it up... would he?  :embarassed:

Or is it part of his furtive 'Vibrant and Innovative' Imagination?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Got Signal

He would not be so unwise to be stating a fact he could not back up would he?

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
Well let's see - in an email sent today I said :

Dear Rod 

In a recent radio interview you stated that BT and SBC discussed Wi-Fi in 2006 but at the time BT wanted £7million up front from SBC.  You also said that this information was on the Web –and that it could be Goggled.

Please would you provide a link confirming this as to-date I have been unable to find the story

Kind regards

Des

Offline Steve Wakefield

As its on the web and Rod obviously knows where or he would not have made such a statement. It will  be such a simple thing to send back by return of email the link.
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Got Signal

Well let's see - in an email sent today I said :

Dear Rod 

In a recent radio interview you stated that BT and SBC discussed Wi-Fi in 2006 but at the time BT wanted £7million up front from SBC.  You also said that this information was on the Web –and that it could be Goggled.

Please would you provide a link confirming this as to-date I have been unable to find the story

Kind regards

Des

Des

I think we have to be careful here of seeing a conspiracy behind any statement. He could have made a mistake and if he is right as already said he can send the link back by email. Is it really that important? or am I missing something?

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
71. Mayor's Announcements
The Mayor reported that the BBC had requested permission to film the Council
meeting. The Council agreed that, in accordance with Standing Order 12, the BBC
be permitted to film the Council meeting.
The Mayor advised the meeting that he had received a request from the BBC for the
Council to take the Motion on Wi Fi earlier on the agenda. With the agreement of the
Council the Motion on Wi Fi was moved to Agenda Item 6a.

Taken from:http://ww5.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/mgConvert2PDF.aspx?ID=3833&T=10&J=1    (page 1)

Is it going to be on the TV then, or have I missed it !
Maybe it will come out as a documentary  ???
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
"Maybe it will come out as a documentary"

Did you mean "a docu-mental"?
Proud to be gone

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
I think we have to be careful here of seeing a conspiracy behind any statement. He could have made a mistake and if he is right as already said he can send the link back by email. Is it really that important? or am I missing something?

No hidden agenda or 'conspiracy theory' simply a need to see the proof supporting the statement. When I asked why SBC had not partnered up with BT et al, no one mentioned £7m and I was sitting to the right of Mr Patel when he responded to my question.  If Coun Bluh has made a mistake, I am sure he will be big enough to #hold up his hands' and admit it's yet another one as far as Wi-Fi is concerned and if he is right it will be easy for him to provide the link.

Of course if BT wanted £7m it begs the question as to how Coun Bluh thought his friend Mr Hunt could provide a Borough wide service for £1.5m - of course it could be that the BT offer (if indeed there was an offer/proposal) was not for a Wi-Fi scheme but a fully integrated cable Broadband system

Remember, that in May 2007 only 30 months before DC came on the scene, Swindon enjoyed the much envied reputation of leading the national table of 'households with broadband' with an incredible 65.3% of households having broadband. I suspect that figure would be a little higher today plus the introduction of fibre optic technolgy will probably have had an impact.

In short the target households open to any new investor and indeed DC was extremely restricted due to the success of the incumbent providers. I susoect these figures were not used in any marketing plan proposal or risk analysis

Offline bobwright

Des - You are forgetting about the socially excluded although I think they might want a house first. Based on today's announcement on the Coalitions 60% plus cut in social housing money I don't think that is realistic. Still sat in their cardboard box they can still enjoy wi-fi?

Offline Richard Symonds

Des - You are forgetting about the socially excluded although I think they might want a house first. Based on today's announcement on the Coalitions 60% plus cut in social housing money I don't think that is realistic. Still sat in their cardboard box they can still enjoy wi-fi?

As we all know with a Library Card you can enjoy the Internet for two hours a day so what is/was the Big Deal in Rikki Hunt aka Digital City offering two hours a day free connection?

The people of Swindon could still enjoy two hours a day free and could have saved £400,000 in the process.

You know it makes sense!   :crazy2:
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline marius

• Hello !
This article proves what a two faced cretin Rod Bluh is given his treatment of the Croft Residents. The article comes from the latest edition of the Handy Mag.

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
You are forgetting about the socially excluded although I think they might want a house first

Ah yes - social inclusion, the first of the reasons for introducing Wi-Fi and the first to be abandoned as it was only ever a 'sound bite' based on the emotional attraction it carries. Reality is that the supposed 'needy within society either have mobile phones/computers or in the case of some (I hesitate to say - many) of the more senior of our citizens, ciomputer technology and Wi-Fi is something they simply don't want. Please, don't all you senior citizens come on and say 'yes we do'.

Offline Richard Symonds

Oh yes we do Des

Oh no you don't Richard

oh I forgot because if you didn't you couldn't post anything on here could you Des?

Got Signal

Des

Thanks for clearing up the conspiracy bit your points are valid. I do apologise.  :azn:

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
I just knew Richard would be the first - only surprised he beat Steve (I'm chained to my tablet) Wakefield to the punch.

I was being a touch ironic - tongue in cheek - an attempt to be funny - just knew it wouldn't work. :embarassed:

Offline Richard Symonds

I was being a touch ironic - tongue in cheek - an attempt to be funny - just knew it wouldn't work. :embarassed:

Me too Des!!

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
I just knew Richard would be the first - only surprised he beat Steve (I'm chained to my tablet) Wakefield to the punch.

Steve (Im chained to my tablet )Wakefield is chained to his tablet because he likes to play 'Angry Birds' at every given opportunity  >:D

What level are you on now 'Stevie babes ' - #Angry Birds Rio ?   >:D

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
"Maybe it will come out as a documentary"

Did you mean "a docu-mental"?

Well, there is a story to be told  :-\ 

I wonder what actors would play the characters though ?