Author Topic: Peter Pan loses his head  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Muggins

Peter Pan loses his head
« on: August 12, 2011, 08:46:27 AM »
I can't tell you much about this, but after hearing Cllr Bluh on the radio this AM I can tell you more than him.

However he is offering a reward of £500 for information etc.

No doubt Richard B can tell you everything you know and it was telling that there was no one in the department to speak to the press so they quoted Richard (from last year). Which I found odd.

2 things I do know is that Lead is poisonous and that the original statue was worth too much to put out in the open in an insecure place.   

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Bobby Bingo

Re: Peter Pan loses his head
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 11:42:09 AM »
I can remember as a small boy leaving the Rink cinema, running through the Town Gardens on our way home and stopping by the Peter Pan statue for a drink. Yes, it was from the lead cup. I was always The Lone Ranger, riding my imaginary horse, smacking my backside as I went and this was always accompanied by a resounding shout of "Hi Ho Silver away".
Bobby

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 11:57:56 AM »
I can remember as a small boy leaving the Rink cinema, running through the Town Gardens on our way home and stopping by the Peter Pan statue for a drink. Yes, it was from the lead cup. I was always The Lone Ranger, riding my imaginary horse, smacking my backside as I went and this was always accompanied by a resounding shout of "Hi Ho Silver away".
Added to .... off to Broke back mountain, last one there is a dandilion  >:D
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 01:49:40 PM »
Bobby B "Yes, it was from the lead cup"

That answers a lot of questions then Bobby.   :2funny: :2funny:

Here's mottley bunch with the original.

I think there was some talk of recreating it now they are all past 40.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 12:59:04 AM »
Thanks for the heads up mum  O0

Perhaps the reason no one was available from the council to say anything is because there isn't anyone from the council to speak on parks matters anymore. :popcorn:

The peter pan proper is in the hands of the arts centre, old town. Putting it back into town gardens and then finding a suitable permanent spot for the original was one of the last things I did before they made me redundant.

At least in there, it's protected from the wind, rain and all that miscreant hands can throw at it.

Sad to see vandalism and school summer holidays still go hand in hand.

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 01:09:24 AM »
In true Senior councillor mode... If Cllr Bluh had bothered to talk to his staff about the issue, he would have found out that the statue is a resin copy of the original and that the cost to recast it in resin is .... £250

... So he could take the £500 reward and pay for two more???

If he had talked to his staff he might also know that I had three copies made, with two in store for this very eventuality, perhaps he might want to:

a) put his money back where it came from
b) pick up the phone and talk to his park manager (if he hasn't made him redundant)
 and
c) get the spare put in place?

Offline MsD Meanor

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 12:16:13 PM »
 :clap:- there you go Richard- long term thinking....

I'm surprised you expected Mr Bluh to be endowed with the same quality.

;D

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 08:02:27 PM »
Missed opportunity there.

Could have kept flogging him resin replicas with a £250 mark up for years.

I hear he bought a resin replica WiFi network for £450k.....
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 08:02:39 AM »
Another money-making oppportunity missed:   

If they can get replicas made at that price, start selling them on the open market.  And the other Art Works. Shrink 'em down and sell them out of the Information Bureau as momentos of a visit.

Swindon Garden Statues plc.   

Some would pay good money for a Marilyn Monroe at the end of their garden. 

Offline Muggins

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 08:03:32 AM »
Come to think of it, perhpas they already have and that's why no one has discovered the replicas  :o

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 07:47:56 PM »
Marilyn Monroe at the end of their garden

Is that Wiltshire rhyming slang?

I would contend that we would get very much better value for some money in some instances if the buyers did not declare they were from a taxpayer funded body.

A bloody great cheese grater with winky blinky lights? That'll be a grand mate.

A vibrating regenerative statement piece of artwork? That'll be £38k sir.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 08:53:26 PM »
Another money-making oppportunity missed:   

If they can get replicas made at that price, start selling them on the open market.  And the other Art Works.

Cllr Mike Bawden had already beaten you to that idea.... Once again a future project for me, cut short by an impending redundancy, not sure if anyone else is looking at it?

Offline Alex

• Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 06:42:41 AM »
Muggins, I think you'll find the Information Bureau has gone too now. I believe the leaflets they offered are available in the Library but the shop itself is now empty.

Another missed opportunity..... and lack of investment in something actually useful.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2011, 07:50:15 AM »
Funny you should say that Alex, someone told me in the last few days that they (whoever it was) had hoped that their organisation could be funded to take over the role of the Information Bureau, but that SBC are keeping it in house - did I hear someone else say that it is going in or has already gone into the Central Library? 

The staff at the Info Bureau have always been consistently, over the years,  most helpful, calling in or by phone.  10/10

Offline Muggins

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2011, 07:55:55 AM »
Mart, I think you misunderstood my suggestion. That was once we/ SBC have purchased a work of art, that we also pay out for some smaller replicas and flog them off for garden ornaments or souveniers to help put some cash back.   Souveniers.....titter, titter!

Now this is a bit clever as most works of arts come from grants that can't be spent elsewhere or on anything else, so by doing the replicas the money can go in whatever budget SBC wishes.

i.e. if they could make a smaller Peter Pan and a gorilla at say £50 each I could afford one of each!

Richard - Mike Bawden might have had the idea, but he didn't so anything with it did he?