Author Topic: Honda In Swindon - Rod Bluh Scaremongering To Influence Planning Cmttee Result?  (Read 11761 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
BBC Wiltshire quote Rod Bluh as having said: "There is no economic plan in place, should Honda decide to leave Wiltshire"

As Honda want to spend £x millions on renewable energy generation at their South Marston plant it seems unlikely that Honda are planning to go anywhere just yet.

Isn't it more likely that Cllr Bluh is scaremongering in a desperate and stupid attempt to:

1. Influence public opinion against the sizeable number of objectors to Honda's planning application to site several windmills at South Marston.....

2. Get the application approved on behalf of Honda a.s.a.p, having already given quiet assurances that the planning process was 'a minor detail'.

We learned a long time ago that Councillor Bluh and his fellow Conservatives are usually much vexed when the public voice their concerns and exercise their rights during the planning process so I think this little show is indicative of the behaviour we will often see from Councillor Bluh & Co as things increasingly do not go their way.

Although I'm generally in favour of windmills when they are built in the right places for the right reasons I would not presume to interfere in the planning process on one side or the other so when Councillor Bluh  Scaremongers on a Borough Wide basis and uses the politics of fear to influence the planning process, he's demonstrating that, once again, he's out of his moral and political depth.

The end does not justify the means Roderick. Silly man.

Also bloggedHere

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
As Honda want to spend £x millions on renewable energy generation at their South Marston plant it seems unlikely that Honda are planning to go anywhere just yet.

Honda will do what Honda want to do. If they can't spend their money in Swindon, they'll make the investment elsewhere - possibly taking their production facilities and jobs with them.

What I find interesting about your post is that it would be of far greater surprise to me to learn that SBC did actually have an economic plan in place should Honda decide to leave Wiltshire. Despite the fact it would spell dire times indeed for the town, it's very difficult to see how Swindon could attract anyone/anything else to fill what would be an essentially disastrous hole.

Whether we like it or not, large corporations such as Honda provide the means for literally tens of thousands of people in Swindon to actually exist and lead their lives outside of a dole queue. While it's clearly fashionable in some quarters to like to stick one's middle finger up at such benefactors, once they get tired of it and take their money elsewhere, there's only ever one (or, in this case, many thousands of) loser(s).
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline MsD Meanor

• Hello !
How far removed from economic reality do you have to be to run this council?  ???

Ringer

Rod Bluh is he so far removed that Swindon is Swindon in Swindon? Honda will leave Swindon, not Wiltshire have he already been morphed into the LEP Borg? I think the conservative leader  lost his grip on reality about years ago.   :2funny:

Offline Muggins

Honda are announcing a new car today and have every reason to stay in Swindon at present. 

The damage that an apparent attempt at  blackmail on their behalf and the pubilicty so caused, will hardly endear SBC to Honda.  Having a dodgy council qas any sort of partner is more a reason to leave the area than an objection to wind turbines - which after all can be negotiated.

Perhaps the nick name should be 'bluhnder' aye?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Haha...I've been out for most of the afternoon and was discussing this topic with some Shaw residents.  They all laughed, but one handed me a copy of todays Adver - it was the first I'd heard of today's good news story at Honda http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/9160972.Honda_s_fresh_look_will_save_3_000_jobs/

If Roddy was raising the spectre of Honda leaving because he thought it would influence the planning process in Honda's favour over their windmills application and in doing so ingratiate himself to Honda and its workforce, then he's an even bigger fool than many of us thought.  Muggins is spot on with her comment on the same.

I've heard two rumours which run along roughly the same theme: 'Honda is blackmailing us - if we don't approve their windmill application they'll leave Swindon'.  I don't believe either rumour but I do believe they are indicative of political fuckwittage of impressive magnitude.  Honda doesn't need 'help' like this.  The planning process must be seen to happen properly, recent political manipulation of it is, I suggest, really starting to piss people off in several areas of the Borough.   

20 makes a valid point, is it the business of the council to have a 'plan' if and when Honda do eventually decide to leave Swindon?

Offline Muggins

Yes, they should have some sort of plan for any of our bigger businesses leaving town - look what happened when the Factory closed down......

I know I keep banging on about it, but if out here in Vol-land we have to have things like Organisational Risk Assessments then I am darned sure Councils should. 

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline MsD Meanor

• Hello !
20 says "While it's clearly fashionable in some quarters to like to stick one's middle finger up at such benefactors, once they get tired of it and take their money elsewhere, there's only ever one (or, in this case, many thousands of) loser(s)."

interesting use of the words "benefactors" .....there was and is nothing in it for them then?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

Who's flipping the finger at Honda in this instance?

Ringer

Being in Swindon outside the Eurozone must be a big help to Honda than if they were in Portugal, Ireland, Greece. or Spain.

Offline AnnCalsox

• Hello !
Rod Bluh is he so far removed that Swindon is Swindon in Swindon? Honda will leave Swindon, not Wiltshire have he already been morphed into the LEP Borg? I think the conservative leader  lost his grip on reality about years ago.   :2funny:

You do him an injustice......he cant lose something he never had

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
You do him an injustice......he cant lose something he never had

Bingo! I said the same thing earlier this evening to Mr Reid. Seems Rodders 'if I say it, its mine' Bluh is carrying on his usual behaviour
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
Thinking out loud here, p'raps Rodders is a Commie sleeper and has been activated by Putin.

His task?

Bring Swindon to it's knees, I for one think he is doing a stellar job, his economic wizardry is exactly what poor old Richard Pryor could have done with in Brewster's Millions.

Alienate every potential investor, well that's nailed.

Provide a bombed out landscape without the need for all those nasty bombs. Check.

I think the Rikkster is his Political Officer.

It's the only possible explanation.

It'd be lovely if Honda said either he goes or we do.........
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
I feel a red october spoof coming up....or red dawn
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah

Who's flipping the finger at Honda in this instance?

Of course, that's not actually what I said, if you re-read my post. However, to deny that there isn't a significant percentage of people who routinely flip their collective finger at multi-national corporations would be naive in the extreme.

As a member of the Labour party I'm sure you rub along with quite a number of them.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
More like an ongoing run of red nose days.

I've never liked clowns.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Jodie Maggio

• Hello !
Has anyone stopped to wonder why SBC are keen to get the turbines into Honda?

Could it be that it sets a precedent for SBC to start erecting these monstrosities all over the borough.

Ringer

Now there is a question to tilt at.

Offline swindoncentric

Fully blogged here : http://swindoncentric.blogspot.com/2011/08/honda-power-of-nightmares-foolhardy.html

Drone

Has anyone stopped to wonder why SBC are keen to get the turbines into Honda?

Could it be that it sets a precedent for SBC to start erecting these monstrosities all over the borough.

I'd prefer turbines to an incinerator.