Author Topic: Lights going out in Swindon  (Read 12263 times)

Offline mikbrains

• Hello !
Re: Lights going out in Swindon
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 09:41:59 AM »
I cannot see why all these new lamposts are being erected. The majority are simply replacing
metal ones. I could understand replacing the concrete ones that have deteriorated but not like for like.
The orange lights in my view negate the car lighting on my car.
Let us all work for a better Swindon.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 09:48:13 AM »
Does anyone remember that the street lights used to be white?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2011, 10:16:07 AM »
Does anyone remember that the street lights used to be white

Indeed they did but we now have Low Pressure Sodium Lamps, which have been around since the early thirties.  Studies show that the colour of the light (yellow) is close to the maximum sensitivity of the human eye in normal viewing conditions.

High Pressure Sodium Lamps give off a bright white light

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 11:25:39 AM »
Gosh! This is why I love TS.
From my initial post re light polution, I have learned so much >:D

Everyone's contribution is a valid one, and from various angles regarding street lights.
 O0
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2011, 11:43:43 AM »

Everyone's contribution is a valid one, and from various angles regarding street lights.
 O0

Oh bugger Chav, if turning off street lights gathers any pace you’ll soon have to plug your milk float into your own house instead of the lamppost outside your house

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2011, 11:50:26 AM »
I can't see whay in this day and age, the technology can't be developed so that movement sensors can't be attached to lamposts, so that when you step into the zone of one it switches on a couple in front of it etc.

I wonder if this would work properly given the number of animals out at night that are likely to trigger them off. I also suspect that those with lampposts outside their homes would soon be complaining of the lights going on and off which can be more disturbing than and constant low level of light.

Finally I believe the reason that these low pressure sodium lights are used is because they use less energy and are slowly warmed before reaching full brightness. I don’t think that you would get the instant light in the same way with these types of bulbs. I know I can’t use the energy efficient bulbs in external light which also has a movement sensor

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2011, 01:39:27 PM »
You are correct Bogo. Low Pressure Sodium Lamps are both energy efficient and slow to warm-up to deliver full brightness. They are not energy efficient during warm-up.
What's it all about?

Drone

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2011, 01:46:08 PM »
Geoff " ....and that Cllr Greenhalgh still intends to spend £1,200,000 on new lampposts?"

Is that so they will be fit for Wifi??  :D

Wasn't one of the unexpected problems in Highworth that Wi-Fi wouldn't run off lampposts when they weren't powered? Will turned-off lampposts ever be able to support Wi-Fi?

All rather academic really.

It'll be interesting to see how it works. As people have mentioned, Wiltshire has been rolling it out for a few years. I haven't heard about road accident stats, but it doesn't seem to have turned the county into some crash-ridden burglar paradise.

Ringer

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2011, 02:21:30 PM »
It has here http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/5025241.Accidents_up_at_light_switch_off_sites/

Curfew on women? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1189507/Council-places-curfew-women-switching-street-lights-midnight--burglars-roam-ease.html

Here on Stoney Broke Bradley Stoke last week a meeting covered the subject http://www.bradleystokejournal.co.uk/2011/07/12/discontent-rises-street-light-switchoff-programme-completed/
A posting on 2nd July describes the switch-off scheme as “insane”, saying it will “lead to [a] rise in crime and insurance premiums”. Maria also tells readers that she voiced her concerns at a recent Councillor Surgery and that the Council has told her that it has “no legal duty to provide lighting”.

Make sure you have your own torch if you are an emergency worker http://www.borehamwoodtimes.co.uk/news/1301927.0/?act=complaint&cid=171584

Time will tell I am sure Old Methusala Morgan can remember Gas lamps and Cllr Perkins right, will reassure us, right  that the Tories right, have the right policy, right!  Am I right? :2funny:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 03:52:29 PM »
Des: "Studies show that the colour of the light (yellow) is close to the maximum sensitivity of the human eye in normal viewing conditions"

Wonder who commissioned those studies. it's a horrible light nothing like veiwing stuff in daylight-  have I mentioned that I have a lampost 6 ft from the bedroom window? :D, and it's NEVER been yellow, it lights up red and warms up to orange.  I have observed recently that it's a duller orange than ever and wonder that, even if they haven't got the technology for on/off things, they might well have the technology to dim the lights - and I think they have been using it for some time.

Bogo:  if they had the technology to 'on/off' with people passing they should also have the wit to set the 'on/off' switch higher than the local fox height.  People have been doing it for years with their garden lights.

Some years ago we had cause to fight the installation of lights along a stretch of cycle route. One of our logical reasons for fighting it was that behind the light was darker than it would have been if not installed and working.  Our research showed that more attacks took place along these lit but lonely paths than anywhere else and the rascals made use of those dark patches.  Installing lights also encouraged people to use that route at night when it was not advisable, in fact it would be downright insane.

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2011, 07:56:00 PM »
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/s/2021411_godalmings_historical_links_with_new_technology

Funny old world innit.

I knew Godalming had some claim to fame in the world of lumination.

I can also remember one of those gas lamps atthe bottom of the path to my nan's house, had the little wotsits to rest the ladder on,my nan reckoned she can remember the bloke lighting it.

Was electric by the time I trundled along.

Just like this it was.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2011, 08:34:10 PM »
The road just up from me has several quite large signs on display to explain that the lights have been turned off. Three questions:

1: If all the other areas have as many signs put up, how much of the £20k saving has been wasted on producing and erecting them?

2: Are they really necessary? Surely the fact that it's dark is clue enough that the lights aren't switched on.  :bash:

3: Am I alone in thinking the amount of signage and notices attached to every other lamp post is getting out of hand and as much to blame as litter in making the place look a mess.

Waste of money IMHO.

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2011, 08:38:02 PM »
Christ, I've just re-read my last post and I really am starting to sound like my father.
I vaguely remember the days when I would be out actually enjoying myself on a Saturday night.  :o

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2011, 09:13:16 PM »

O0

Oh bugger Chav, if turning off street lights gathers any pace you’ll soon have to plug your milk float into your own house instead of the lamppost outside your house
That as maybe Bogo, but at least I will have pleasure knowing that you won't be able to syphon my fuel in the deep dark nights without street lights  >:D coz I ain't got a fuel tank innit  O0 so you will have to nip next door instead and if i am charging me milk float and you trip over me cable in the dark, you could be in for a bit of a nasty shock  :o
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2011, 09:13:55 AM »
"my nan reckoned she can remember the bloke lighting it" 

Was his name Wee Willy Winky?   Was that about the time they went round with barrows shouting "Bring our your dead?"

Chav, if you now had your own wind turbine, it would be costing the earth not very much at all to get you to work and back.

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2011, 10:45:59 AM »
Does anyone remember that the street lights used to be white?

Yeah, mind you I remember them being more of a bluey-white.   Those were the street lights that were switched off at night.   I can still vaguely recall still seeing the old style street lights in the 90s.

Drone

« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2011, 01:47:12 PM »

1: If all the other areas have as many signs put up, how much of the £20k saving has been wasted on producing and erecting them?

Good point! FOI anyone?

Drone

« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2011, 01:59:14 PM »
Those signs cost between £70-150 each, on my calculations. Not including paying SCS to 'install' them, obv.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2011, 02:12:12 PM »
Those signs cost between £70-150 each, on my calculations. Not including paying SCS to 'install' them, obv.

and please include the 30mph signs on one side of roundabouts and 40mph signs on the other all over West Swindon.  Just try and round at more than 30mph and then you would guilty of dangerous driving if a police officer were there to witness it.  But then West Swindon doesn't see much of the police since they closed down Westlea Police Station.

Added to this are the Crash Barriers on the wrong side of Street Furniture like Direction Signs and Lamp Posts. 

What an obscene waste of money?

and it is not as if we have money to burn at the moment either, with an escalating deficit!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Steve Wakefield

Re: Lights going out in Swindon.... Or Are they?
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2011, 09:50:30 AM »
Someone siad let there be light, but was it Cllr Greenhalgh?
http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/9198731.Council_bows_to_fears_over_darkened_streets/
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana: