Author Topic: Honda's Turbine Dreams to Become Reality Tonight?  (Read 24032 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Honda's Turbine Dreams to Become Reality Tonight?
« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2011, 06:26:39 PM »

Cllr Faramarzi logged into TS earlier and sent me a pm regarding the planning meeting, which was nice of her :)

Not sure why she doesn't post it though?

Ringer

« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2011, 06:34:03 PM »
Finland why go there  our twin town Salzgitter is not far from Gorleben suppository  perhaps we could use their facility? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorleben

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2011, 07:32:50 PM »
If it was announced that nuclear power had been abandoned as away forward I doubt anyone except those working in the idustry would cry much.

Let's see how many people 'cry' when they get their future energy bills or should we all just sigh and say 'it's worth it'

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2011, 09:02:32 PM »
I don't think crying is part of any plan.
We live in a country that created world beating WW2 aircraft out of pianos and curtain lining.
I still prefer the "world leaders of alternative energy" approach.
Proud to be gone

Offline Muggins

« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2011, 08:55:38 AM »
If it was announced that nuclear power had been abandoned as away forward I doubt anyone except those working in the idustry would cry much.

Let's see how many people 'cry' when they get their future energy bills or should we all just sigh and say 'it's worth it'

As I have to take increases in my bills quarterly anyway, and weighing that against the nuclear danger - I'll take the increase and hope my granchildren don't have to live with any worse threat than they have to now. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2011, 11:37:13 AM »
Come on then you clever lot, I don't know that much about this stuff but I have heard the wind and solar thing being sold to the individual, in that any residual power (left over when said household has taken it's share) goes to the national grid. So doesn't that mean that there ARE ways of storing it up for the  cloudy windless days?

Someone wrote that solar is the only option for the individual houshold, but small wind turbines are available for the garden and I know at least one - in Pinehurst.   

Would my unconventionally built house take solar panels?  I'd happily have a  couple of those garden wind turbines.

Your house could have solar panels fitted although with all those high trees at the bottom of your garden they could block some of the sunlight but never mind you could always chop a few down and have a real log fire ;-)

Depends if your roof is strong enough to support the panels.

I suppose the real test is cost and return, how long do you think you’ve got left in you to repay the cost and get some sort of return?

You might be interested in this article from a few days ago

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/money/article-2011540/Energy-experts-slash-estimates-household-savings-using-solar-panels.html

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2011, 11:40:58 AM »
Turbines......cracking idea, probably one of the coolest looking renewable energy thingymajigs, Bogo pretty sure i saw your mate starting his new job the other day!  O0
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Ringer

« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2011, 12:59:09 PM »
Are Helix turbine sails not as efficient as standard blades?

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #68 on: July 16, 2011, 01:09:21 PM »
Turbines......cracking idea, probably one of the coolest looking renewable energy thingymajigs, Bogo pretty sure i saw your mate starting his new job the other day!  O0

Wot mate…?  :o
Wot new job…?  :tickedoff:

I deny everything

Gisa job I can do it…..  :argh:

Drone

« Reply #69 on: July 16, 2011, 02:07:45 PM »
Finland why go there  our twin town Salzgitter is not far from Gorleben suppository  perhaps we could use their facility? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorleben

Up at Sellafield, they are sealing their nuclear waste in a mixture of molten glass and sugar.

I guess there old system of accidentelly leaking 80,000+ litres of nuclear waste liquid from a cracked pipe and causing a level 3 nuclear incident wasn't a great solution.

And then there's 'Dirty Thirty':

The open pit in building B30, named dirty thirty, is used to store radioactive leftovers from the Magnox period and renowned for its bad state. The pool is 20m wide, 150m long and 6m deep. Birds land on its surface and take small amounts of radioactive substances with them. The pool was used from 1960 until 1986. A confinement wall is scheduled to be built in the future to help it withstand earthquakes. The pool is to be emptied and dismantled in years to come.

It is impossible to determine exactly how much radioactive waste is stored in B30, algae is forming in the pool, making visual examinations difficult. British authorities have not been able to provide the Euratom inspectors with precise data. The European Commission has thus sued Great Britain in the European Court of Justice. There are expected to be about 1.3 tons of plutonium, 400 kg of which are in mud sediments. It is thought the pool also contains waste from the Tokai Mura plant (Japan).

Radiation around the pool can get so high that a person is not allowed to stay more than 2 minutes, seriously affecting decommissioning. The pool is not watertight, time and weather have created cracks in the concrete, letting contaminated water leak.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2011, 04:10:57 PM »
Bogo: how long do you think you’ve got left in you

Cheeky b$%^&*^

Someone will be inheriting Muggins Towers so no worries with time.

Trees don't particularly hide the sun except a tthe bottom of the garden right underneath them- we are direct South facing, and your suggestion of cutting a few down is just plain naughty and you know it! Burning wood is an environmental no no - fossil fuel and all that.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Emma Faramarzi

• Hello !
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2011, 05:19:32 PM »

Cllr Faramarzi logged into TS earlier and sent me a pm regarding the planning meeting, which was nice of her :)

Not sure why she doesn't post it though?

The idea of being trolled is the reason I did not post   :fence: and I wanted to tell Des how many people turned out.

So, for the wider audience here is what I emailed to Des and copied Geoff :

496 residents signed into reception at the Civic for the Honda / Redland Planning Committee. That did not include Councillors of Officers present.

An SBC record I am told. It is great to see Swindon engaged.

Administrator Comment Emma, Your account has not been blocked nor moderated. Due to recent events your account was placed into a holding que. Since your details were obtained either willingly or unknowingly we (the admin team) had to assume your account had been either 'hacked' or your login information was passed on willingly thus breaking the registration agreement. You have been asked to clarify the situation but have not done so. Until you can clarify what happened or assure the admin team that your details will not be used again, you will remain in the que
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 06:22:13 PM by Gooch »

Offline Emma Faramarzi

• Hello !
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2011, 05:20:39 PM »
Oh, and my account it blocked and being moderated.

I just remembered why I fired Talk Swindon   :angel:

Administrator Comment Emma, Your account has not been blocked nor moderated. Due to recent events your account was placed into a holding que. Since your details were obtained either willingly or unknowingly we (the admin team) had to assume your account had been either 'hacked' or your login information was passed on willingly thus breaking the registration agreement. You have been asked to clarify the situation but have not done so. Until you can clarify what happened or assure the admin team that your details will not be used again, you will remain in the que
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 06:22:33 PM by Gooch »

Offline Muggins

« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2011, 06:29:34 PM »
Emma: An SBC record I am told. It is great to see Swindon engaged.

An excellent turn out, where any checks made to ensure where they all local residents?

Offline Emma Faramarzi

• Hello !
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2011, 07:12:52 PM »
Don't know Muggins. I'll find out on Monday.

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2011, 08:46:30 PM »
[496 residents signed into reception at the Civic for the Honda / Redland Planning Committee. That did not include Councillors of Officers present.

An SBC record I am told. It is great to see Swindon engaged.

/quote]

Thanks Emma - I thought my estimate of 300 was possibly on the low side.  I wonder how many were from S Marston?

Drone

« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2011, 02:03:25 PM »
Oh, and my account it blocked and being moderated.

I just remembered why I fired Talk Swindon   :angel:

Because your account was openly being used by someone different from the person who set up the account? Ie, someone who wasn't you was logging on and using your account to post as they had already been censured for other inappropriate behaviour?

Ringer

« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2011, 04:21:13 PM »
Will those people that turned up be listened too? If old town councillors did not turn up at the croft school meeting. Can anyone blame them, if they now ask for the planning application to be called into committee? It's a case of sometimes you have to take the water to the stubborn donkey as my nan used to say.  :2funny: :2funny: :2funny:

ph1lc

« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2011, 05:42:06 PM »
We'er talking 300 people out of a town of 200K. noisy NIMBY's.
I for one hope the councillors have a backbone.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2011, 05:47:57 PM »
Yes, but if that 300 live in the vicinity they are the one's it will affect.

If if they have a good case then they should be listened to. We don't all
agree that they have, but none the less, their fears should be listened to. 

After all if this planning application for turbines goes through, the next ones' might be on your doorstep.  It sets a precendent.

They should not be just labelled nimbys.

Is that why councillors stopped away from the Croft Meeting or couldn't they label those people as nimbys?  i.e. they would have had to come up with a REALLY good reason for not allowing that development. Smacks of rank arrogance to me.