Author Topic: Redlands Airfield Wanborough- BRACE! BRACE! BRACE!  (Read 43842 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Redlands Airfield Wanborough- BRACE! BRACE! BRACE!
« on: June 06, 2011, 02:14:59 PM »

In 2011 Redlands Airfield celebrated 20 years of microlight flying and 9 years of skydiving from its airfield just off the Wanborough road but this might soon come crashing to an end.

Recently, Scott D'Arcy of the Advertiser reported:

Quote from: Scott D'Arcy
"A campaign by residents in Wanborough, Covingham, Nythe and Liden in objection to Redlands Airfield has gathered pace in recent weeks with 7,000 leaflets being put through homes in the area."

Given that Cllr Dale Heenan, (Covingham & Nythe), is the chair of the Swindon Borough Council planning Committee, and Cllr Faramarzi, (Covingham & Nythe), is the chair of the Federation of Small Businesses in Swindon,  I can't help starting to wonder where this will lead for all involved.

If the campaign against Redlands Airfield is being largely propagated within Covingham, Nythe and Liden, and helped along by Cllr's from these wards, (?), I wonder if the operators of Redlands Airfield are expecting to get a genuinely fair-go from the planning committee and, (if the operators are members of the Federation of Small Businesses), proper representation from them either?

I see political, commercial and professional conflicts of interests popping up all over the place in Eastern Swindon, especially so when the new Lawn & Ridgeway Ward is expected to contain the soon to be approved potential development at Commonhead Coate and the entire, (not-now-scrapped), Eastern Development Area.

Is getting rid of the Redlands Airfield the first multiple-objective step towards clearing the way for the next incarnation of the EDA, (Also called - 'The Three Villages Plan'), and an integral part of the East Swindon Conservatives 2012 election plan for the new wards? (or indeed old wards if they do manage to postpone the all outs).

I'm holistically curious about all these things because Cllr Faramarzi's first election leaflet carried the very definite promise that the EDA plans had been scrapped, yet there's plenty afoot which encourages me to think that a political pork pie factory is already doing the business in East Swindon.

I reckon Redlands Airfield and the not-so-scrapped EDA plans will be worth watching, especially so after tomorrow nights planning meeting re: Commonhead Coate.

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
Re: Redlands Airfield Wanborough- BRACE! BRACE! BRACE!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 03:08:33 PM »
(if the operators are members of the Federation of Small Businesses), proper representation from them either?

They're not listed on the FSB Members' Directory site - so it would appear not:

http://www.fsbonline.co.uk/SearchResultsSummary.aspx?F2=Redlands+Airfield&F3=&C=

Looks as though Cllr Faramarzi is perfectly free to represent her constituents' wishes without any conflicts.

As for planning decisions, Cllr Heenan will be more than aware that any decision that wasn't based on sound legal/regulation grounds would be swiftly appealled against by any half-competent lawyers the airfield owners may wish to engage.

Can't see much opportunity to attempt to discredit Tory councillors by implication and innuendo in the case of Redlands Airfield.

@Tobes: leaflet/flyer printing is amazingly cheap these days. Where we get ours done, 7500 full colour flyers comes in at £105. For some reason, they're not subject to VAT.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 04:15:43 PM by 20Eyes »
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Drone

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 03:37:32 PM »
Not scrapped at all, are they? 7500 homes, 20 HA of employment land, regional centre, three local centres, 3 schools...

It's all on p96: .pdf]http://www.swindon.gov.uk/ep/ep-planning/ep-planning-localdev/Documents/core_strategy_web[1].pdf

Drone

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 03:40:18 PM »
If that doesn't work, it's the first document on this page

http://www.swindon.gov.uk/corestrategy

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 03:49:13 PM »
If a local business has been operating successfully for nine years, it looks pretty narrow minded to attempt to NIMBY it out of existence. Still, the blue-rinse brigade will have their say if the noise of a motor disturbs their afternoon as they trim the roses and contemplate another macaroon before the Grim Reaper comes knocking...

Who had sufficient funds to print and distribute 7000 leaflets and what is their declared (or undeclared) interest in the matter?

There's either someone with a commercial axe to grind, or a politard in the background, methinks.
 :popcorn:

EDIT@20Eyes - a minimum of £105 is still more significant than a few photocopied leaflets... still smacks of summit more than a few localised nimbys to me...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 06:50:40 PM by Tobes »
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 08:39:42 PM »
I like watching the loonies jumping out of perfectly serviceable aircraft.

It's not that noisy and they keep reasonable hours, ot like Gatwick's interesting interpretation of 'No night flights'.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 08:18:41 AM »
I've heard bits about this subject, maybe it needs VERY deep scrutiny.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Drone

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 05:32:05 PM »
Policy NC4 –Proposed Eastern Villages

A. An allocation is made for a new mixed-use development as defined on the proposals map based on a series of new distinct villages and an expanded
South Marston village. The development will deliver:
7,500 homes in total at an average density of 35 homes per hectare
20 hectares of employment land in total (B Class uses)
12,000m2 (gross) of retail and complimentary uses, of which no more than
20% will be comparison goods. This will include:
A high quality district centre with an anchor food store of up to 10,000m2 (gross)
3 local centres, and Additional facilities at South Marston to serve the local community.’
A learning campus containing a secondary school as detailed in part E
An additional 2 primary schools ( 2 forms of entry) and an extension (1.5 forms of entry) to the existing school at South Marston
Capacity to manage the demographic peak at primary and secondary schools (for up to 4 forms of entry)
A comprehensive approach to tackle climate change including the harnessing of renewable energy, preferably with a district heating system
Green infrastructure in accordance with Council standards, including a landmark park and an extension of the River Cole GI Corridor to connect with Nightingale Wood
Sport and leisure facilities, including a leisure centre with swimming pool linked to the learning campus; or to existing school(s)

B. Land should be safeguarded for the following uses:
A sewage treatment works if required
A fire station towards the south of the site if required
The route for the Wilts and Berks Canal

C. The district centre should be located in the northwest of the site, which does
not compete with Swindon town centre, and should include:
An anchor food store of up to 10,000m2 (gross) and small scale retail and complimentary uses
35,000m2 of B1 office floorspace, that does not undermine regeneration of Swindon town centre
A flexible multi-purpose building for use by the community, the public sector and for worship
A health care facility with GP, dentist and pharmacy
High quality public realm including outdoor civic public space

D. The 3 local centres will all include:
Small scale local retail, leisure and employment and
A flexible multi-purpose building for use by the community, including for worship
The learning campus should consist of:
A secondary school (8 forms of entry)
A primary school (2 forms of entry)
A 0-19 special school to serve profound, multiple and severe learning difficulties
Local public sector base and access to facilities for community use
Children’s Centre and early years facilities

F. Sustainable transport links will be provided that integrate with the wider area
and prioritise access between the proposed Eastern Villages and Swindon
town centre. These will include:
A rapid transit link to Swindon town centre in the first phase of development and other public transport links
Additional public transport services
Improvements to the Oxford Road / Drakes Way and Covingham Road / Dorcan Way transport corridors
A green bridge across the A419 near Covingham Drive
Creation of an improved junction at White Hart to manage additional demand and deliver high quality public realm to reflect its gateway status
A new link across the A419 at Dorcan
A new link to the Commonhead Roundabout
A new link under the Bristol to London railway line connecting the development north and south
A Park and Ride site
Measures to minimise rat-running through existing villages and east Swindon

G. The Eastern Villages development will ensure:
Heritage assets including the Scheduled Ancient Monument Roman settlement of Durocornovium, Earlscourt Manor, Moorleaze Farm and a range of Listed Buildings should be protected, acknowledged and enhanced
Biodiversity including the River Cole Corridor and River Cole Meadow
County Wildlife Sites is protected, integrated and enhanced
Landscape and views to and from the North Wessex Downs AONB are respected, including potential off-site mitigation
The risk of flooding is minimised at new and existing communities,
particularly associated with the river corridors, and existing flood risk in east Swindon and South Marston is reduced where possible
The character and identity of South Marston, Wanborough and Bourton is protected through non-coalescence

H. Development must integrate with the existing communities in Swindon and South Marston and maximise the opportunities for nearby residents to benefit through:
Safe, attractive and direct links to new facilities
Improved access to transport and new jobs
Improved affordability of homes
Complementing Swindon town centre in terms of employment and retail
provision and its timing

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 05:46:08 PM »

Fascinating read which raises some more questions.

Looking through the above I think the Redlands Airfield is toast and the 'campaign' against it deserves a closer look.

Drone

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 06:56:19 PM »
It's worth reading through the Core Strategy. 19,000 houses before 2026, with associated infrastructure and facilities and transport links... it has to go somewhere.

Offline Im All Ears

• ???
  • Hello !
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2011, 11:57:38 PM »
Folks, sometimes there is no Machiavellian master scheme.

This Redlands issue is fairly simple but the side effects are considerable.

Redlands: Some people are upset by the plane sounds, some not. Thats it. People are trying to mediate a solution.

Do not go hunting in the shadows for something that does not exist, the issue above is complex enough.

Full disclosure: I am a CP paraglider working towards my PPL, I regularly fly and frequent Paravion in Marlborough, I love all things aviation.

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 12:07:35 AM »

Redlands: Some people are upset by the plane sounds, some not. Thats it. People are trying to mediate a solution.

Do not go hunting in the shadows for something that does not exist, the issue above is complex enough.

Full disclosure: I am a CP paraglider working towards my PPL, I regularly fly and frequent Paravion in Marlborough, I love all things aviation.

Attempted Divert! lets keep going!  :fish:
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 12:10:34 AM »

Thats nice  O0
Interesting hobby :-)

I have a 10ft flexifoil kite. Almost took off at the White horse once ! I was almost there.
I was trying to moonwalk- recon if I'd have had a stack of flexifoils I would have taken off like Mary Poppins  >:D

I fancy me chances at zorbing now, must give it a go sometime
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 12:13:38 AM »

Fascinating read which raises some more questions.

Looking through the above I think the Redlands Airfield is toast and the 'campaign' against it deserves a closer look.
It certainly does Geoff.
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 12:44:09 AM »
I have a full pilot license.
If Redlands is a licensed airfield it means that there will be building restrictions in the vicinity. I can't recall the exact requirements, but it's something like nothing taller than 50ft within a mile of the airfield.

I can understand people (who lived there before the airfield) not appreciating constant aero engine noise. That's up to the operators to ensure good neighbour policies.
On the other hand, some of the claims that have been made, in reference to low flying are farcical beyond belief. The greatest stunt pilot in the world would not be able to fly, at automobile height, from Commonhead roundabout to the airfield as one comment suggested on the Adver blog.

Proud to be gone

Offline Im All Ears

• ???
  • Hello !
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 12:50:39 AM »
Not really wanting to touch this with a barge pole...but.

I was picking strawberries at Lotmead farm on Sunday, plane went overhead on departure leg and the noise was as enough to prevent me hearing all other sound in the area, personally I loved it, some people covered their ears.

Horses for courses, I can understand it getting a bit much if I had to listen to it every day.

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2011, 01:13:26 AM »
I should point out that I don't fly from Redlands. The aircraft I fly need a bigger runway.

As I stated before, it's up to the operators of the airfield to do all they can to be good neighbours.
Most aircraft operating from Redlands will be microlights. Modern microlights are often quieter than some cars.
Unlike cars, they will not be operating at night.

The parachute aircraft will be a whole different scenario.   That should be used as efficiently / politely as possible (climbing to drop altitude from a distance etc.

If the airfield is closed, locals will eventually be treated to more development (houses and apartments), an increase of traffic, and anti-social noise that extends way beyond the airfield activity times. So be careful what you wish for.

I'd gladly swap my home in the town centre for a house in Wanborough, but (surprising?) no takers yet.
Proud to be gone

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2011, 03:05:45 AM »
Not really wanting to touch this with a barge pole...but.

I was picking strawberries at Lotmead farm on Sunday, plane went overhead on departure leg and the noise was as enough to prevent me hearing all other sound in the area, personally I loved it, some people covered their ears.

Horses for courses, I can understand it getting a bit much if I had to listen to it every day.

I have lived in quite a few places over the years, from the depth of the spookily quiet countryside to having a house that backed onto the main Swindon railway line. (and the gravel train at 5am vibrated the whole house)

It doesn’t take long to get used to any noises and your mind, if you ignore the sound, will soon block it out.

I get flaming annoyed at all these whingers who complain about things like the noise from the A419 (after buying their house alongside it) or local leisure facilities/business but are quite happy to be first out with their lawn mowers and hedge trimmers virtually every weekend.  :tickedoff:

Drone

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2011, 06:41:49 AM »
And how long has Swindon stood in the flight path of Lyneham? I'm towards the west of the town, and I only notice the noise if something unusual goes by.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2011, 08:49:39 AM »
I have heard that the noise from Redlands can be unbearable, it's not the chug of a train Bogo, it sudden unexpected blast of sound. And low flying aircraft too.

I can put up with most background noise, but there is one noise that drives me potty and if you live near me you know what noise that is and for 33 years it was relentless and we had no control over it, when it started, when it stopped, how often it was during that time or how near it was completely intrusive and spoiled lots of people lives.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)