Author Topic: Redlands Airfield Wanborough- BRACE! BRACE! BRACE!  (Read 36840 times)

Offline Muggins

Re: Redlands Airfield Wanborough- BRACE! BRACE! BRACE!
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2011, 08:30:20 AM »
The noise from the Moredon track could be heard all over North Swindon, it was closed due to misuse.  OiKids rode their bikes to and from it.   

The track at the bottom of Blunsdon Hill is, I think not open  to everyone. It's on the Fun-e-farm and probably too tame and structured and carefully supervised for the Oiks. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2011, 08:48:22 AM »
ICDT, Far better to stall your bike than your aeroplane!!! ;D
What's it all about?

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2011, 12:48:32 PM »
Very true O0
Proud to be gone

Offline itspavagain

• Hello !
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2011, 01:19:56 PM »
Quote from: the gorgon link=topic=7662.msg62189#msg62189

Well I never, I think it might still be there judging from this aerial photo on google http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.57682,-1.809788&spn=0.00151,0.003449&t=h&z=18

That's for radio controlled cars. You'd struggle to get a push bike around that track!

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2011, 07:38:07 PM »
Remember the 'Go-ped?
I remember that there was a very grey area surrounded with it in terms of where the Go-ped should be ridden -path or road!
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2011, 08:22:51 PM »

Well I never, I think it might still be there judging from this aerial photo on google http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.57682,-1.809788&spn=0.00151,0.003449&t=h&z=18

That's for radio controlled cars. You'd struggle to get a push bike around that track!

LOL I was rather surprised that it was still there!

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2011, 10:35:16 PM »

LOL I was rather surprised that it was still there!

No thats the Swindon Nitro cars society, they rent the old all weather hockey pitch at Moredon playing fields. Its quite a good facility for racing model cars...

A bit of Richard Beale personal history as I helped install the 'redgra' surface when it was Hockey Pitch

Centres the map on where the Motocross track was...

Offline Muggins

« Reply #47 on: June 10, 2011, 08:21:15 AM »
But say tata to that lot, isn't it die for development and a huge through road.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #48 on: June 10, 2011, 09:06:36 AM »
What on earth are Nitro Cars?   :o

Offline itspavagain

• Hello !
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2011, 09:46:30 AM »
What on earth are Nitro Cars?   :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio-controlled_car#Nitro-powered_models

They are quite a sight and they have a very impressive set-up there in Moredon.

P.S. That space out the back of B&Q would make an excellent speedway stadium.

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2011, 12:37:21 PM »
It'll probably be used for more flats and a vibrant vision  :D
Proud to be gone

Offline Muggins

« Reply #51 on: June 10, 2011, 01:48:52 PM »

Apart from it being a Thames Water Nature reserve?

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #52 on: June 10, 2011, 02:30:25 PM »

Apart from it being a Thames Water Nature reserve?

i think the only reserve down there is the one just on the corner of weastmead industrial estate, its more of a bog/marshland than anything else and its all fenced off too
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2011, 03:09:20 PM »
A note for Muggins and anyone else disturbed by "off Road" motor-cycles on .....wast....er.....nature reserves.

There was an item on this mornings Crimewatch on BBC 1 (don't ask!) about a special team of police in the Manchester area. They stop the kids and take their bikes. Unless they can produce valid insurance they scrap the bikes. Those that have insurance get a warning and the next time they do it the bikes are taken anyway. It seems that riding a motor bike "other than on a road" still needs insurance. So if you are bothered by these people telephone the police.
What's it all about?

Offline Muggins

« Reply #54 on: June 10, 2011, 04:32:19 PM »
Our Police and Neighbourhood Safety team have already done magnificent work in this area and I have copies of letters they send out, put notices up around the fields and in the really bad days, spent thousands of hours sitting on that 0845 number  (waiting for an answer) - there have been co-ordinated phone ins on really bad days, in the days before the law changes etc. We've had about 3 years of relative peace.   I love our local police :-* :-*

I bet if we could get hold of the figures, the mental health problems must have been reduced by half since then. 

Do'ya know Out'er, that getting involved in those fields have turned us into (grey haired!)experts on several problems, from fly tipping to too many Magpies, planning to bramble bashing - I'm your gal!

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2011, 04:22:42 PM »

Noisy aircraft need controls says Cllr Heenan in the Adver this week.

After realising that his planning committee doesn't have the powers he thought it had, and his previous bullishness towards the Redlands airfield was little more than an impotent political rant, he's now lobbying MP's Justin Tomlinson and Robert Buckland for a change in the law.  Dale didn't know his subject as well as he'd led people to believe and this looks like sour grapes.

Take it on the chin and move on Dale :)

Robert Bucklands comments in the adver won't be of much use to Dale though, as they suggest that more people that have written to him about it are in favour of the Redlands Airfield than against. (sorry, I know that sentence is clumsy).

I suppose Cllr's Heenan, Faramarzi and Hurleys wish to see land East of the A419 sprouting their '3 villages' of between 7,500 and 12,000 houses will have to wait.

Meanwhile, we're still waiting for an explanation from Covingham and Nythe councillors about their claim to have scrapped the Eastern Development area plans and promise to keep a 'watchful eye' on plans for 3 villages of 1,500 houses each.....

....and the subsequent positive noises they then started making about a figure of 7,500 houses. I'm confused dot com. 

I think this one is going to roll on for a long time yet and next years election leaflets are going to be interesting.

Offline bobwright

« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2011, 05:59:32 PM »
Geoff - To be fair to Councillors Faramarzi and Hurley they gave opinions in favour of small businesses such as Redlands. I don't think it is fair to associate them with Dale's position and indeed there were diverse views expressed by councillors.

On the night of the Planning meeting I did wonder if the problem was that bad it would stop the Eastern development?
There is still room at Wichelstowe.

Those in the know about the issue did say if Dale got his way it could had lead to a heavy legal bill for SBC. Good job they accepted the advise.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2011, 06:13:57 PM »

Fair point Bob, but I'll wait patiently and compare their fine words against deeds and leaflets before conceding the point completely :)

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2011, 09:36:15 PM »
There are licensed and unlicensed airfields (I think Redlands is unlicensed).
It doesn't make any difference, from a legal point of view, which type Redlands is.

Been a while since I sat that exam, but for an airfield to be licensed it has to meet certain criteria.
I think nothing taller tha 50ft can be within a mile of the runway approach. That would limit new buildings.

There are many mutations to the rules. Some airfields have licensed and unlicensed runways.

If the airfield is unlicensed, it has certain limits.
I believe the main one is student pilots can't practice circuits (touch & go's)

As I personally know some of the residents, but hold a pilots' license (not microlights), I initially shared knowledge and experience with the
campaigners to see if rules were being adhered to, find a compromise etc.

Unfortunately it seemed to be a one way street.
Wild claims that someones car had barely missed collision with a returning aircraft at Commonhead Roundabout (totally impossible even for a display pilot).

Another claim said they use Cessna's and these aircraft commonly crash on take off / landing.
If people want to lay into aviation then using one of the most tried and tested aircraft in the world is not a good starting point.

It has to be noted that if an aircraft type has a recorded crash, even for something as simple as a seat latch, then every aircraft of that type has to be inspected and an AD (aircraft directive) has to be signed by a registered engineer.

As Cessna's haven't changed much since the 50s it's a poor choice of mugging.

Other distractions on the Adver site suggested microlights (the only aircraft issued with noise certificates) are as loud as Spitfires.

20's psuedonym started banging on about night and day loud motorbikes (I guess that was just to grab my attention, but all my bikes are legal / effectively silenced)

The claims should be honest and perspective.

I also question Dale's other objective of eliminating the Parish Council simultaneously.

All seems a bit power crazy
Proud to be gone

Offline Muggins

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2011, 08:59:43 AM »
None the less, that's not feather pillows flying low across homes. 

If Ben had whipped his putt putt, (like ER on his way home) every day, it would still have the capacity to drive people to the brink, so I can imagine what it must be like living close to it.

Never mind the buzz bombing and low flying over the A419 (was it ex-Cllr Glaholm that happened to?) the noise alone would be enough.

It's like that dripping tap - once it starts to get on your nerves, it's noise is amplified a 1000 times.