Author Topic: Redlands Airfield Wanborough- BRACE! BRACE! BRACE!  (Read 42363 times)

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
Re: Redlands Airfield Wanborough- BRACE! BRACE! BRACE!
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2011, 09:08:38 AM »
I don't live in the areas that are affected by the low flying aircraft at redlands.  What does bug me is mosquito/fly like noise those planes make whilst trying to gain height before people with more money than sense jump out. 

During the easter weekend I had the windows open and I could hear that droning noise indoors, it seemed to last practically all day.

Drone

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2011, 09:09:54 AM »
I have heard that the noise from Redlands can be unbearable, it's not the chug of a train Bogo, it sudden unexpected blast of sound. And low flying aircraft too.

I can put up with most background noise, but there is one noise that drives me potty and if you live near me you know what noise that is and for 33 years it was relentless and we had no control over it, when it started, when it stopped, how often it was during that time or how near it was completely intrusive and spoiled lots of people lives.

What was it?

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2011, 09:20:24 AM »
I can put up with most background noise, but there is one noise that drives me potty and if you live near me you know what noise that is and for 33 years it was relentless and we had no control over it, when it started, when it stopped, how often it was during that time or how near it was completely intrusive and spoiled lots of people lives.

Church bells?
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Muggins

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2011, 09:42:25 AM »
Illegal motorcycling - nearly put some most of us in the ............

Sometimes from dawn to the middle of the night, sometimes more than one of them, it was relentless, when one went home another came out. 

Still get the odd one, but thank God for the Anti social Behaviour Laws, which put and end to the idea they were 'just lads!'

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 10:24:51 AM »
What in the streets Muggins or do you have "waste ground" er "development potential", near you?
What's it all about?

Offline Spectre

• Hello !
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 11:22:40 AM »
Illegal motorcycling - nearly put some most of us in the ............

Sometimes from dawn to the middle of the night, sometimes more than one of them, it was relentless, when one went home another came out. 

Still get the odd one, but thank God for the Anti social Behaviour Laws, which put and end to the idea they were 'just lads!'

Hi Muggins, I'm just back from a holiday and catching up.

I notice you did not mention the speedway noise. Goes to prove Bogo's theory that, in time you get used to certain noises. Many years ago I lived in Upper Stratton and I could hear the speedway noise from there. However, the track was there long before me so I had no cause to complain.

Same went for the brewery smell once or twice a week. Come to think of it I came to like the smell and missed it when I left.  :)

By the way I live under the aircraft climb circuit and during the summer it can be a little annoying but I've got used to it.  :coffee:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2011, 05:01:11 PM »
Out'er:  WASTELAND? WASTELAND?   ;D (I bet a few TS'rs ducked when they read that one!)   No, just  100 acres of the best unimproved herb rich hay meadows in Wiltshire!!! Read all about it here: www.sevenfields.org.uk

Spectre: Funnily enough, Speedway never worried us. No, I'm not that used to it, I always notice it and look forward to it the same as I do the first Cuckoo - summers here!  The difference is, that it is structured and lasts for only a  few hours, is in a purpose built stadium and watched by 100's.

Illegal Motorcycling by us was by a couple of totally selfish little oiks and when they grew up they encouraged their small oiks to do it too. No structure, no control and the rest of us hated it.  Totally different.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2011, 05:09:48 PM »
Is there anywhere in or around swindon where you can go off road and have a laugh? I doubt the speedway stadium will let anyone come on when they like
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Drone

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »
Out'er:  WASTELAND? WASTELAND?   ;D (I bet a few TS'rs ducked when they read that one!)   No, just  100 acres of the best unimproved herb rich hay meadows in Wiltshire!!! Read all about it here: www.sevenfields.org.uk

Illegal Motorcycling by us was by a couple of totally selfish little oiks and when they grew up they encouraged their small oiks to do it too. No structure, no control and the rest of us hated it.  Totally different.

They do the same at Shaw Ridge. I was almost knocked over on a  footpath a few hundred yards from the nearest road... 'oik' is a more polite term than I would use.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2011, 05:34:46 PM »
Mellon - no there is not and if you were having a laugh you would not be laughing long and the people who  live up there wouldn't be laughing at all.

:D

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2011, 06:52:02 PM »
Well why dont we give them somewhere, problem solved. My recommendation - Coate , its not getting built on now and I'm sure there's a spare piece lying around with racing potential.

Failing Coate somewhere the otherside of J16
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Spectre

• Hello !
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2011, 07:40:43 PM »

They do the same at Shaw Ridge. I was almost knocked over on a  footpath a few hundred yards from the nearest road... 'oik' is a more polite term than I would use.

They do it between Nythe and Greenbridge Rd on land next to the Rugby Club. :surrender:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2011, 08:10:42 PM »
You need to get your neighbourhood safety teams involved and don't take no for an answer.  If they tell you they can't do anything about it, I can give you the references.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2011, 08:23:27 PM »
By chance I saw some"oiks" today with small motor-bikes (not the sub-minature one, just small). They seemed to be preparing to go from a public road, where a large van was parked, onto a track across farmland. (which has been blocked by the farmer to prevent access!)

It looked like "Daddy" was teaching one sprog how to start his bike properly before they set off. They were not wearing crash helmets, goggles, gloves, boots, or protective jackets or trousers! The supervisiory skills of the adult therefore amounted to crass ignorance. Apart from annoying people, who will pick up any resulting medical bills?

Luckily they were not about to set off over a nature reserve as nice as Muggins'.  :coolsmiley::coolsmiley:
What's it all about?

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2011, 09:05:41 PM »

It looked like "Daddy" was teaching one sprog how to start his bike properly before they set off. They were not wearing crash helmets, goggles, gloves, boots, or protective jackets or trousers! The supervisiory skills of the adult therefore amounted to crass ignorance. Apart from annoying people, who will pick up any resulting medical bills?

With a bit of luck they might end up nominated for next years' Darwin awards...

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2011, 09:37:41 PM »
Well why dont we give them somewhere, problem solved. My recommendation - Coate , its not getting built on now and I'm sure there's a spare piece lying around with racing potential.

When I was a young tom-boy girl I used to drive my mum to despair by going to a place near Moredon near the railway tracks to a man made dirt track complete with mud humps and I would ride my mates brothers BSA 250 CC motorbike, and another friends yamaha 125 dirt bike  >:D
I loved it, I was about 15/16 then. I think if there was a place for motorbike/trials/dirt track/mini motor riders to go , then it would stop them going where they ain't supposed to go.

Maybe a mini FoxHill in Swindon  :D
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2011, 09:47:33 PM »

When I was a young tom-boy girl I used to drive my mum to despair by going to a place near Moredon near the railway tracks to a man made dirt track complete with mud humps and I would ride my mates brothers BSA 250 CC motorbike, and another friends yamaha 125 dirt bike  >:D
I loved it, I was about 15/16 then. I think if there was a place for motorbike/trials/dirt track/mini motor riders to go , then it would stop them going where they ain't supposed to go.

I am fairly sure one was planned for Shaw tip years ago, but i think over time that has dropped from implementation

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2011, 10:01:34 PM »
Come to think of it isn't there a track to the side of the A419 near to Liden or Dorcan? It always seems very busy at weekends

So is it aircraft you can hear.. or motorcyclist whizzing round the track..?????

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2011, 10:02:42 PM »

I am fairly sure one was planned for Shaw tip years ago, but i think over time that has dropped from implementation

There used to be a track round the back of Cheney Manor Industrial Estate (I think) in the mid (maybe late) '80s, you could even hire the motorbikes.

EDIT:

Well I never, I think it might still be there judging from this aerial photo on google http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.57682,-1.809788&spn=0.00151,0.003449&t=h&z=18

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2011, 10:47:43 PM »
There is a track at the bottom of Blunsdon Hill.
You can see it from the new road, but you have to get on the old road to get to it.

Brrrm Brrrm whaaaaaw Wheeee Brrrrm Brrrm.

Back on earth topic, I would guess that it is mainly the parachute plane orbiting that causes the most disturbance.
Most of the other pilots will be spending a lot of money on their flights so they tend to take the shortest route from 'A' to 'B'.
Judging by previous comments, it would be easier for both sides to communicate and come up with some structured times so that the mighty Airvan causes minimum disturbance.

Darn. Now I've stalled me bike >:(
Proud to be gone