Linked Events

• Eddy Shah interview on the FSB's Mind Your Own Business: June 23, 2011

Author Topic: Eddy Shah interview  (Read 10635 times)

Offline Tobes

• Regents
Re: Eddy Shah interview
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 10:36:30 PM »
Blimey! I've just read the resume of Eddy's latest book!!!
Eddy Shah's new thriller takes us straight into the parallel world of today's virtual-reality Internet, where millions work and play every day.

But the politicians have moved in on this last truly free territory of the people, enforcing strict laws and policing cyberspace ruthlessly. It is the bureaucratic madness of our times - and all in the name of democracy.

An insignificant scientist starts the fightback for personal liberty, but he is forced into suicide to prove his point. As a result of his actions the US President is put in great danger, while dark forces within the security services wrestle for ultimate control of the information age. The defenders of freedom soon become public enemy number one, and now only a disillusioned recluse stands against the forces of chaos.

Is that Geoff?!  O0
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 03:43:54 AM »
Just to get rid of the concrete on the site to even let it return back to nature would cost £100 million

Emma - just imagine what the environmental clean up costs would be?  Seventy plus years of chemicals leaching into the soil, fuel oil and other contaminants too numerous too mention which will require an intensive remediation plan - i suspect the costs would be at least equal to if not higher than the cost of removing the concrete.

Des
They allegedly cleaned up the old railway slag/dummping site on which they build all those expensive apartments so there must be some profitability in the scheme of things.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 08:16:23 AM »
If the plan I saw in the Adver comes off, it seems a good idea, a bit of everything for everyone.  A Fun Park taking in the air base history etc and it looks like they are promising green development practices and sustainable fuels driven stuff, jobs, some housing? and green (as in park) areas, which will no doubt be enhanced for wildlife and it's more or less a brown fields site i.e. build on that not green fields.

Of course the people who live around it have got to llike it! and no matter what's promised it will have to be fought for.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Emma Faramarzi

• Hello !
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 09:07:14 AM »
I agree with you Muggins. There are also plans for a Small Business Village and for it all to tie in with the Kemble train line. What we can ill afford is for it to be ignored and for the areas of Calne, Lyneham, Wootton Bassett, Swindon and even as far as Cheltenham to suffer from the loss of £90 million every year being brought into the area.

There was even talk of a snow dome and a Centre Parks type setup.

Please forward me your collective questions and I will ensure they are asked during the interview. Alternatively there will be an opportunity to call into the 105.5 studios and ask the questions yourself on air.

Drone

« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2011, 05:15:02 PM »
There would be more traffic, but it would be offset my jobs, money into the local economy and not watching Lyneham turn into a derelict no-mans land. We've lost agriculture and manufacturing industries locally, so maybe leisure and toursim is the way to go.

Offline Emma Faramarzi

• Hello !
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2011, 10:18:15 AM »
Only just seen the thread.  Is the show repeated or is there an equivalent of iplayer?

The interview will be live but yes, it will be recorded for a pod cast so I will post it here when I have it.

The date of the interview is changing because of a clash in Eddy's diary so I will update you all when I have his new date. It should be a lively interview.

As I said, please call in on the day to put your suggestions forward.

Offline Emma Faramarzi

• Hello !
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2011, 10:20:59 AM »
Just to get rid of the concrete on the site to even let it return back to nature would cost £100 million

Emma - just imagine what the environmental clean up costs would be?  Seventy plus years of chemicals leaching into the soil, fuel oil and other contaminants too numerous too mention which will require an intensive remediation plan - i suspect the costs would be at least equal to if not higher than the cost of removing the concrete.

Hi Des - only just saw your post. I agree, the cost would be enormous. There is one area of the land that is very contaminated and wont be developed in any way.

Drone

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2011, 05:28:39 PM »

Hi Des - only just saw your post. I agree, the cost would be enormous. There is one area of the land that is very contaminated and wont be developed in any way.

Are you talking about Calne?  >:D

Offline Emma Faramarzi

• Hello !
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2011, 06:16:56 PM »
I have just had confirmation that the rescheduled date is 18th of July 6-7pm.