Author Topic: The 2011 Eastcott Election Result  (Read 2401 times)

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
The 2011 Eastcott Election Result
« on: May 17, 2011, 08:51:42 PM »

Administrator Comment This post was split from the 'Truth About Eastcott Thread

Dougal

Accusation 5: There was a swing from Lib Dems to Labour

I am pleased with the progress that Labour has made in Eastcott ward. It is the best that Labour have done for 21 years in this ward.
If you compare the 2011 result with last local Council only election in 2008, there was a swing of +17% and an increase in votes for Labour of 713.
If you compare the 2011 result with the 2010 result, it was a swing of +9%.

It’s easy to spin figures this way but by making a longer term comparison (and starting from 2002 as I already have the figures) I believe that the picture you paint isn’t all that rosy.

Looking at the 2008 vote, it was the lowest percentage vote that Labour had got since 2002 at 17.86% of the vote, Labour even failed to pick up any extra votes that year from there being no Green candidate. In comparison the Lib Dem vote was at an all time high since 2002 at 58.43 of the vote.

It is no wonder then that Labour’s share of the vote when up when you consider:
A) The national swing against the Lib Dems for unpopular national coalition policies. B) The extra campaign work that you and your Labour colleagues did within Eastcott ward this year (and that alone does deserve recognition so well done)

p.s. Apologies for not having the turn out figures for 2004 &2010

Administrator Comment Picture attachment added to permanent directory

Dougal
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 03:13:35 PM by Dougal »

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
Re: The 2011 Eastcott Election Result
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 10:41:35 AM »
Thanks for the graph Bogomil

If you do not mind, I have lifted it for my blog (credited to Bogomil).

www.chriswatts1967.wordpress.com.

Let me know if you have any objections. :)

Small Print: Member of the Labour Party. GMB Accompanying Rep. IT consultant on sabatical.  Postings may contain political bias. If you have an adverse reaction please desist from reading. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 11:32:20 AM »
Chris
Fact is fact and, although politicians will always put their own interpretations upon them especially the rationales for their highs & lows, the figures are available if you search on the net.

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 11:47:23 AM »
Chris
Fact is fact and, although politicians will always put their own interpretations upon them especially the rationales for their highs & lows, the figures are available if you search on the net.
yep, but if i was a Lib Dem, i would have credited myself for the graph.  :2funny:
Small Print: Member of the Labour Party. GMB Accompanying Rep. IT consultant on sabatical.  Postings may contain political bias. If you have an adverse reaction please desist from reading. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 04:02:37 PM »
Chris
yep, but if i was a Lib Dem, i would have credited myself for the graph.  :2funny:
But would that make people more or less sceptical about the authenticity of the figure?

I think there are various posts on TS where poster have expressed a view that they wouldn’t even believe a politician if they said that black was black unless they checked it for themselves.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 02:04:08 PM »
by making a longer term comparison (and starting from 2002 as I already have the figures) I believe that the picture you paint isn’t all that rosy.

Certainly doesn't look very rosy for Eastcott's Lib Dems, does it?