Author Topic: Is Final Chapter In wi-fi 'Saga' Near?  (Read 269513 times)

Ringer

Re: Is Final Chapter In wi-fi 'Saga' Near?
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2011, 10:40:25 AM »
WiFi is great in hotels, airports and your own home, but even in those places you can see the problems that weak signals cause,

Good point Gorgon, ever tried the following?
 http://www.btfon.com/

Drone

« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2011, 11:58:43 AM »
So despite a £450,000 investment from SBC, completion of Highworth is dependent on the council pushing forward a programme of street light switching? That will cost local people more money and isn't a priority in such cash strapped times. It's also buck-passing of the highest order. Wrong sort of leaves on the line, now wrong sort of lampposts in Swindon.

Check  the council's budget there is a programme of 400K a year for the next 3 years being spent on lamp post replacement, any way it is probably a coincidence? Wait a minute in some areas of Swindon are the parish and town council's responsible for street lighting?

There would be no other eason to replace street lighting, so that makes...

£450,000 in financial support for Digital City
£400,000 in lampposts upgrading
£???? in office/rent costs for the office space in the David Murray John tower
£???? in staff time for finance and legal staff to seek to negotaite on DC's behalf with potential business partners.

So... how much as the WiFi debacle really cost us?

Ringer

« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2011, 12:57:16 PM »
£400,000 in lampposts upgrading
So... how much as the WiFi debacle really cost us?

£400,000 X 3

Will lamp posts have to be replaced anyway due to age? Concrete to metal, but only in Swindon*? More questions than answers  :-\

* Will Parishes/town council's pay for their own street lights so the £1.2 million must be for the Swindon unparished areas and that is a lot of lamp posts.

Drone

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2011, 01:08:49 PM »
So we're up to £1,650,000 not including office accommodation, staff support, lobbying, marketing or any other hidden costs...

Ringer

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2011, 01:14:27 PM »
So we're up to £1,650,000 not including office accommodation, staff support, lobbying, marketing or any other hidden costs...

You might think that,  >:D  But there are others out there that can't possibly comment  :-X  :2funny:

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2011, 02:58:22 PM »
Is Garry Perkins waiting for Rikki to return to answer the questions and what if he doesn't, return that is, and he has to do so on his own?

Not looking good for you Garry.

meanwhile, carry on digging.

Anyone seen the latest Private Eye?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Drone

« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2011, 04:12:06 PM »
Got it this morning. Doesn't look like we're in it this week.

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2011, 05:24:13 PM »
Ricki was heard to be singing at base camp last night
"Climb every mountain
Ford every stream
Wher'es the bloody Wifi
I can hear you scream"
Bobby

Ringer

« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2011, 05:26:53 PM »
In July 2009 Lincoln City Centre (St Marks) had its wifi in city centre 15 minutes free access

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/news/WiFi-revolution-set-transform-city-net/article-1210428-detail/article.html

How come this was not mentioned in October 2010 when Swindon was to be the first?

Anyone heard anything more of it?

Anyone been to Lincoln lately and tried it? Has it made an improvement to their BID?  :popcorn:

BTW Bobby Very Good  :2funny:

Offline mikbrains

• Hello !
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2011, 05:30:40 PM »
He left it up Everest; lost it when he fell; buried in the snow as he seems good at snow jobs!
Let us all work for a better Swindon.

Ringer

Offline The Listener

• Hello !
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2011, 03:15:29 PM »
Ringer, the points you are making are very true. Two years ago, when the council were first approached about the WiFi system, there may have been an arguement to support the need for this project in Swindon. However, it is now probebly very difficult to find an area of the town where you are not already just a few feet away from a hot spot from BT or Virgin.  For the council to suggest that they are in talks with a company who are going to take the existing project over and return the outstanding money is stretching our trust and belief. This could be a sad moment for a council who have done a considerable amount for the town only to stumble and fall on a sword of their own making.
Lets just consider the errrors,

Offline The Listener

• Hello !
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2011, 03:21:38 PM »
1   Not consulting experts in this field before commiting.

2   Not abiding by their own loan stipulations.

3   Relying on the charisma of one person, without qualification in the subject, to carry the project through.

4   Downright stupidity in the way they have handle the media interest in Wifi.

So, best of luck SBC

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2011, 03:55:50 PM »
1   Not consulting experts in this field before commiting.

2   Not abiding by their own loan stipulations.

3   Relying on the charisma of one person, without qualification in the subject, to carry the project through.

4   Downright stupidity in the way they have handle the media interest in Wifi.

So, best of luck SBC

Let's go through those points:

1 - Not getting a consultant in, that must be a first for SBC! Just asking an IT lecturer at Swindon College probably would have done the job.

2 - Yup.  What happened to due diligence I wonder?

3 - If you've ever watched The Apprentice (BTW I owned an Amstrad radio once - it was rubbish) you'll see that that is allegedly what "makes a good manager" in UK plc.

4 - I'd go further, downright stupidity in the way they handled everything.

Offline mikbrains

• Hello !
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2011, 06:39:33 PM »
On the news today..Govt making millions available for better broadband in rural areas via optic cabling-wireless routers etc--hmmmmmm so much for WiFi then?

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2011, 08:18:26 PM »
On the news today..Govt making millions available for better broadband in rural areas via optic cabling-wireless routers etc--hmmmmmm so much for WiFi then?

You typically need some kind of fibre backhaul even if using wifi/3G/4G for the last mile.... I don't think anyone has managed to get wireless backhaul (outside labs) to anything like the bandwidth you can get on a fibre...

(and remember that even if you get 40M between your device and base station, the backhaul has to transport many peoples' data.)

Moley

Offline mikbrains

• Hello !
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2011, 08:43:24 PM »
Moley; sort of get your drift. So with what is happening in Lincoln and now this Govt thingy; am I right in thinking this WiFi system here has little to no merit?

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2011, 09:29:20 PM »
I never really saw much merit in what we've been doing here (I've been posting here to this effect since pretty early on).

There are a lot of trials of various technologies going on in various parts of the country - but at the end of the day the Digital City numbers just did *not* stack up for me (partly because everything in the public domain (e.g. the council getting the equipment back to cover their investment) seemed to suggest minimal investment in planning and installation - but typically for networks, planning and installation are a very significant part of the overall network cost, especially if the network provides a high level of quality.

And since Swindon already had fairly high internet penetration it wasn't clear to me where the customers would magically appear from (and if I were a business dependent on the internet I wouldn't personally buy my internet service from a startup - even if I had to pay slightly more I'd want to buy it from a company that I was convinced had sufficient manpower to address any problems and really deliver on SLAs).

Moley

Offline mikbrains

• Hello !
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2011, 09:34:43 PM »
Yes..That just about sums it up--Thanks.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #79 on: May 28, 2011, 06:27:16 PM »
When is the next Scrutiny meeting and will Digital City and Garry Perkins be on the Agenda?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group