Author Topic: Is Final Chapter In wi-fi 'Saga' Near?  (Read 246416 times)

Drone

Re: Is Final Chapter In wi-fi 'Saga' Near?
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2011, 06:50:00 PM »
So despite a £450,000 investment from SBC, completion of Highworth is dependent on the council pushing forward a programme of street light switching? That will cost local people more money and isn't a priority in such cash strapped times. It's also buck-passing of the highest order. Wrong sort of leaves on the line, now wrong sort of lampposts in Swindon.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2011, 08:26:26 PM »
Strikes me that the individuals concerned figure they may as well just do as they please because those who're taking a very close interest in this are unlikely to be satisfied regardless of what they do.

I think you are being very naive as to the good reasons for keeping this topic live and expressing the disappointment and anger felt by so many rate-payers (and why those concerned would prefer otherwise).

1. If TS didn't keep scrutinising this issue, it would long since have been kicked into the long grass and forgotten (you can bet your bottom dollar that the key players would prefer that!)

2. The scrutiny is exposing long-term ineptitude, hyperbole and spin.

3. There is STILL an outside chance that something might be salvaged from the whole debacle - and pressure here is one of the few stimuli to ensuring that someone somewhere is trying to recoup some value, now that the rewards of personal fortune seems to have gone out the window.

4. Voters and opposition council candidates will have access to the information lodged here on TS which clearly show that the concept was flawed from the beginning, that there was no detailed and viable business plan and that the tendering process appeared to be highly favourable to but a single  candidate who was totally inexperienced in this field.

All of the people involved in this cluste -£u<k of a project are either elected or employed using our money. The project ITSELF was funded using our money. People should consider whether these people are fit to continue in these roles, come election time...

... and that in a nutshell is the best restitution for the ineptitude which has been followed by evasion, spin and further undelivered promises. Anyone putting the key characters name into Google to find out their future suitability for a candidature, executive position, business investment, trusteeship or any other position of trusted responsibility will be free to read about what happened and draw their own conclusions as to their business acumen.

Its not the making of mistakes which stains some of those involved - but what they did (or didn't) do once the abject and utter failure of the project became clear.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 12:03:09 AM by Tobes »
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Ringer

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2011, 08:38:12 PM »
So despite a £450,000 investment from SBC, completion of Highworth is dependent on the council pushing forward a programme of street light switching? That will cost local people more money and isn't a priority in such cash strapped times. It's also buck-passing of the highest order. Wrong sort of leaves on the line, now wrong sort of lampposts in Swindon.

Check  the council's budget there is a programme of 400K a year for the next 3 years being spent on lamp post replacement, any way it is probably a coincidence? Wait a minute in some areas of Swindon are the parish and town council's responsible for street lighting?

Offline The Listener

• Hello !
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2011, 09:07:32 PM »
Des, thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay in responding, damn computers drive me nuts.

I still have several questions.

Firstly, without any income, who is supporting the current ongoing costs of the system?
Secondly, who's technically supporting the system?
Lastly, who's administering the system?

I'm hoping the costs are being distributed between the three shareholders and not being landed on SBC's door step (Remember 'Jointly and Severally Responsible').

Ringer, you ask why I have not posed these questions to our local MP. I'm sure he is aware of our concerns, I'm also aware he chaired several scrutiny meetings on this very subject and was, despite several questions, unable to find fault. Maybe he feels very shell shocked and has no energy to pursue this further. If he had the energy and the drive and the concern, then he would already have tackled the problem. I hope these are the reasons and not the reluctance for a Conservative vs Conservative conflict.

Ringer

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2011, 09:40:28 PM »
Ringer, you ask why I have not posed these questions to our local MP. I'm sure he is aware of our concerns, I'm also aware he chaired several scrutiny meetings on this very subject and was, despite several questions, unable to find fault. Maybe he feels very shell shocked and has no energy to pursue this further. If he had the energy and the drive and the concern, then he would already have tackled the problem. I hope these are the reasons and not the reluctance for a Conservative vs Conservative conflict.

Oh well never mind only a suggestion.  :popcorn:

Offline swindoncentric

« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2011, 10:23:46 PM »
Interestingly spotted this today :

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/everything-everywhere-teams-with-bt-for-4g-trial-2288552.html

and a bit about them...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Everything_Everywhere

As for a deal, it's now 10 days since Adam Kula got something about nothing (or nothing about something!) out of Garry Perkins, who said a deal was in the final stages.

In all the quotes about the wi-fi since the election campaign from politicians, if you're looking for dates, meaning, or tangibility, you've really got to Hunt For It.

Offline The Listener

• Hello !
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2011, 06:34:56 AM »
Does anyone remember Rabbit (telecommunications). This was a location-specific (Telepoint) telephone service backed by Hutchison and introduced in the late 80's. The idea was a combination of home phones and dial out only mobiles. The project failed with costs of £120,000,000 primarily due to the falling costs of the then more attractive analogue mobile phone service.
As I recall at the time of the WiFi project launch here in Swindon the initial test for G4 had proven successful. If the Cornwall trial proves to be viable, where will this leave WiFi and are we going to be left with an out of date system before it's properly launched?

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2011, 07:09:59 AM »
Yes

:banana:
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Ringer

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2011, 08:42:24 AM »
Swindoncentric

In January it was claimed by Des Morgan somewhere on TS that the cheque was in the post.  :2funny:

Offline mikbrains

• Hello !
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2011, 08:45:29 AM »
Does anyone remember Rabbit (telecommunications). This was a location-specific (Telepoint) telephone service backed by Hutchison and introduced in the late 80's. The idea was a combination of home phones and dial out only mobiles. The project failed with costs of £120,000,000 primarily due to the falling costs of the then more attractive analogue mobile phone service.
As I recall at the time of the WiFi project launch here in Swindon the initial test for G4 had proven successful. If the Cornwall trial proves to be viable, where will this leave WiFi and are we going to be left with an out of date system before it's properly launched?
From day one the concept of this WiFi system was marketed as a revolutionary idea to bring cheap internet access to the masses. The free part meant nothing as numerous people with wireless routers still do not secure their connection. In fairness most people have used others connections without causing problems. This changed when the music industry realised they were losing revenue due to downloads of material. How many of us access sites to listen to music etc which we can download legally. It becomes illegal if we share it; yet if we send a link
for others to download direct it is apparently not. Or am I wrong on that?
Is this similar to this projected WiFi system which is so contraversial?
Let us all work for a better Swindon.

Ringer

« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2011, 08:59:33 AM »
No, and anyway what has file sharing to do with Swindon council tax payers money being spent on a stalled/frozen desperately seeking a rescue solution wifi system?

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2011, 09:02:49 AM »
In January it was claimed by Des Morgan somewhere on TS that the cheque was in the post

Ah - indeed.  At a meeting of the Cabinet chaired by no less than Coun Perkins himself - it was claimed by the Councillor that a deal was imminent - papers were ready to be signed and the cheque was 'all but in the post'.  So amazed I asked Coun perkins whehter this comment was okay to report (Adam Kula from the SA was to my left) as there ws no formal statement available from the press office of SBC.

Of course since that date Coun Perkins has been 'put in his place' by Coun Bluh who suggested Coun Perkins was being optimisitic.  Nothing new there.

Interestingly I wonder if the new deal will even be with the party to whom Coun Perkins was talking

Ringer

« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2011, 09:09:36 AM »
DES

Thank you I was being ironic I knew that you had stated this months ago I could not find it on TS.  O0

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2011, 09:35:20 AM »

I remember Rabbit well, I can even recall where one of Swindon's access points was - at the foot of the DMJ just above the shops IIRC.

The whole WiFi project if it ever gets rolled-out will be too little too late.  I already have one of those pay-as-you-go broadband sticks if I visit people who don't have an internet connect.  As I understand it parts of the analogue TV spectrum will be sold-off to telecoms companies and will probably be used for mobile broadband, rendering the WiFi scheme totally redundant.

Ringer

« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2011, 09:52:19 AM »
........ rendering the WiFi scheme totally redundant.

Is the roll out project  now moribund? Or was it already pre obsolecense before it stalled?

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2011, 10:14:06 AM »
I think you are being very naive as to the good reasons for keeping this topic live and expressing the disappointment and anger felt by so many rate-payers (and why those concerned would prefer otherwise).

Thanks.

Your post essentially proves the point I was trying to make. The outcome of the WiFi Mess saga is largely irrelevant. Those with an agenda will continue to persue it and keep the topic alive, despite the recent polls showing that it's highly unlikely to actually do the Labour group any favours at the ballot box.

Unless the aim here is to replace one bunch of Tories with another bunch of Tories, I think it's a little naive to think it's about much else.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline mikbrains

• Hello !
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »
No, and anyway what has file sharing to do with Swindon council tax payers money being spent on a stalled/frozen desperately seeking a rescue solution wifi system?

Ah; maybe you cannot see how WiFi was never a viable project whilst people still leave their
wireless connections open. I know very little about the different systems and simply used the
example of file sharing as one of the reasons many closed their network. I just checked and in my immediate area there are 12 networks of which 7 are open. I merely asked why in that case would this council invest in a Wi Fi system and all the controversy which has surrounded it. Surely the major providers would be queing up to offer a few hours free in the belief that they would sign up to a package. Like many I welcome the truth in this affair; my problem being I do not understand the difference between systems. Yes I do not believe it is the Councils place to involve the taxpayer in this venture when they cannot provide needed services.

Ringer

« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2011, 10:22:50 AM »
Mik

Well put  :clap:

Offline mikbrains

• Hello !
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2011, 10:27:17 AM »
Mik

Well put  :clap:

I also cannot see why the whole business has been shrouded in secrecy " Transparent Council"
one of those promises which has never seen the light of day.

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2011, 10:29:29 AM »
........ rendering the WiFi scheme totally redundant.

Is the roll out project  now moribund? Or was it already pre obsolecense before it stalled?

Good question! 

I'm no telecoms expert but I think if they'd done it as quickly as they'd promised (if not quicker) it might have stood a reasonable chance (in the short term at least).  Now I think something like 4G that can piggy-back on existing mobile phone infrastructure will overtake it. 

WiFi is great in hotels, airports and your own home, but even in those places you can see the problems that weak signals cause, what's going to happen when you try and cover an entire town (they can't even cover Highworth properly)?