Author Topic: Is Final Chapter In wi-fi 'Saga' Near?  (Read 246415 times)

Offline moley

• Hello !
Re: Is Final Chapter In wi-fi 'Saga' Near?
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2011, 11:19:08 PM »
Do you all think the protagonists in Council were duped or just completely inept and incompetent and therefore should never be in charge of any money other than their own?

That's an interesting question Richard...

If the problem wasn't ineptitude, are there any better alternatives?  The only ones I can think of are worse!

Moley

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2011, 03:03:06 AM »
Do you all think the protagonists in Council were duped or just completely inept and incompetent and therefore should never be in charge of any money other than their own?

That's an interesting question Richard...

If the problem wasn't ineptitude, are there any better alternatives?  The only ones I can think of are worse!

Moley

I actually wrote something to that effect Moley but then thought better of it!!

But then the question that has to be asked why would they want to do that?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline The Listener

• Hello !
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2011, 05:33:48 PM »
If the first £150,000 of the loan was spent on Highworth equipment (Hard to believe, but let it lie!), what was the second loan of £250,000 spent on? After that loan was approved we saw little or no further expansion of the system, so where had the money gone?

If a new company takes over the project (You never know, stranger things have happened, not often I must admit) will the council then reveal how this vast some of money was used? Surely it cannot be that commercially sensitive.

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2011, 05:45:36 PM »
will the council then reveal how this vast some of money was used? Surely it cannot be that commercially sensitive

Somehow i suspect 'hell will freeze over' before SBC reveals what the £250k wasused for.  As for whether they know what is was used for, my view is that they do but would plead all sorts of reasons why they can't say.  One person who does know is Coun Perkins as he is a director of DC.  If he claimed not to know what the £250k was spent on it would demonstrate a lack of understanding on his part as to the fiscal responsibilities he assumed the day he signed up.

As to 'commercial sensitivities - there are none BUT there are huge politicial sensitivities and these trump any commercial ones in the wonderful world of Coun Bluh to whom openness and transparency are but words to be casually bandied around

Ringer

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2011, 11:56:39 PM »
Almost 10 days on are we nearly there yet?  :popcorn:

Drone

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 06:22:01 AM »
Suspiciously quiet...

Ringer

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 07:18:14 AM »
Perhaps the Swindon landscape is the wrong type of flat?

Lincolnshire 'ideal' for street light wi-fi  The equipment would use the street lights' electricity supply. Street lights in Lincolnshire could be used to distribute wireless broadband signals because of the flat landscape.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lincolnshire-13431102

I see the Journos on the Lincs paper are saying
Inkspot Wi-fi Limited, an Edinburgh-based company, has applied to the county council to install a piece of kit on Lincolnshire's street lights that would be able to provide wi-fi access.

It would be the first time publicly funded property was used for commercial purposes.

http://www.thisislincolnshire.co.uk/news/lampposts-offer-beacon-hope-wi-fi-wilderness/article-3534367-detail/article.html

More on Inkspot http://www.inkspotwifi.co.uk/

Drone

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2011, 08:31:54 AM »
The most recent news on 'get signal':

The majority of those with an SN6 7 post code can now enjoy 2 hours free internet, or upgrade to our 24/7 faster paid service for just £9.99 per month, and the first month is FREE.

For those of you in Highworth that we cannot get to at present I hope the following explanation helps,

To be able to cover the remaining area we have two challenges to overcome. Our equipment is mounted on lampposts and therefore our ability to provide coverage is predicated on the availability of appropriate street furniture. In some areas there are concrete lampposts on which we cannot mount our equipment because it is perceived to pose a weight threat to the structural integrity of the post, the second challenge is that we have a number of quite short posts or posts which are in dips, this makes it harder to get effective radio communication between posts.

In the medium to long term we are maintaining a dialogue with Swindon Borough Council who do have a programme of replacing concrete lampposts with more modern steel ones. As Street furniture is upgraded we hope to be able to extend our network coverage. We are not in a position to put a timetable on when this might happen.

Drone

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2011, 08:34:10 AM »
Mr Hunt was too busy dropping out of another project before completion:

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/9043333.We_are_on_top_of_the_world/

Mr Hunt attempted the final push to the summit, but dropped out.

Mr Hunt’s wife, Laura, posted a message to say he had turned back just shy of the summit ‘due to weather and other issues’.

She wrote: “Rikki made a decision, to turn back at 8,300 metres, which everyone believed saved his life.

“He ended up sleeping alone at the death zone and then descending, alone, back to ABC [advanced base camp].

“This was because someone had become ill and his sherpa left to look after the casualty. The weather was atrocious.

“During his descent he slipped and completely fell off the mountain, thankfully he was roped and this definitely saved his life.

“He was exhausted and feeling the altitude in every way in his body, this cost him a good half an hour to recover.

“On arrival at ABC everyone greeted him like a hero and the sherpas insisted he was a ‘real’ man for surviving a night at the death zone and then for making absolutely the right decision to turn around when he did.”

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2011, 08:40:27 AM »
I see that Inkspot WiFi are a new start up company. I hope that they have some experience. Especially with lamp post electrical power supplies.
What's it all about?

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2011, 11:43:22 AM »
Well, given that WiFi now appears to be in 'The Death Zone' - perhaps Rikki (who obviously has cash to go off on very expensive ego trips to The Himalayas) would care to show that he's a REAL man by returning the salary which WE paid?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2011, 12:36:05 PM »
Well, given that WiFi now appears to be in 'The Death Zone' - perhaps Rikki (who obviously has cash to go off on very expensive ego trips to The Himalayas) would care to show that he's a REAL man by returning the salary which WE paid?

If he were to do this Tobes, however unlikely, I think the people of Swindon would regard him in a different light.

The question is will he say anything about Wi-fi when he returns, if indeed he ever does so? - return to Swindon that is!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2011, 12:55:22 PM »
Out of interest, what's the checklist of events that would actually placate people?

How about:

1. Rikki Hunt to publically apologise for failure and return any and all money he's been paid from the WiFi Mesh loan for the past few years and maybe face criminal charges.

2. Gary Perkins to publically apologise for failure and resign any form of public office and maybe face criminal charges.

3. Rod Bluh  to publically apologise for failure and resign any form of public office and maybe face criminal charges.

4. The full loan amount, plus expected interest to be repaid to the Council coffers by somebody or other.

In the highly unlikely event that all four of those four things happens, I suspect a significant number of people would still continue railing on about the whole subject because it does seem to have become about more than the failure of the project and the loss of a relatively medium-sized loan.

Strikes me that the individuals concerned figure they may as well just do as they please because those who're taking a very close interest in this are unlikely to be satisfied regardless of what they do.

Is there actually anything they could do in order to make people think, 'OK, fair enough, we'll draw a line under it now'?

I suspect not.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Ringer

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2011, 04:49:44 PM »
The question is will he say anything about Wi-fi when he returns, if indeed he ever does so? - return to Swindon that is!

Don't be so sure that Rikki not be riding again he has been written off before, and bounced back.

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2011, 05:19:43 PM »
“On arrival at ABC everyone greeted him like a hero and the sherpas insisted he was a ‘real’ man for surviving a night at the death zone and then for making absolutely the right decision to turn around when he did.”

Nothing quite like the undimished love of a good wife for her hero of a real man.  As for quitting at absolutely the the right time, Rikki (for free) Hunt is one of the the finest exponents of the art of quitting before completing the task, in this case it was 'weather and other issues' pretty much the same reasons given for not completing the Wi-Fi project; as for surviving, without doubt he is one of lifes survivors

Drone

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2011, 05:22:18 PM »
Did the Sherpas used the phrase 'real man' or are the Hunts translating from the original Tibetan?

Offline The Listener

• Hello !
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2011, 09:17:17 PM »
Des, thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay in responding, damn computers drive me nuts.

I still have several questions.

Firstly, without any income, who is supporting the current ongoing costs of the system?
Secondly, who's technically supporting the system?
Lastly, who's administering the system?

I'm hoping the costs are being distributed between the three shareholders and not being landed on SBC's door step (Remember 'Jointly and Severally Responsible').

Ringer

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2011, 08:16:46 AM »
Des, thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay in responding, damn computers drive me nuts.

I still have several questions.

Firstly, without any income, who is supporting the current ongoing costs of the system?
Secondly, who's technically supporting the system?
Lastly, who's administering the system?

I'm hoping the costs are being distributed between the three shareholders and not being landed on SBC's door step (Remember 'Jointly and Severally Responsible').

If you have such good questions then why not consider a FOI on what do they know.com or Ask Robert Buckland MP  :-X to do an Anne Snelgrove and ask questions in the house?  :fish:

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2011, 09:12:37 AM »
If you have such good questions then why not consider a FOI on what do they know.com or Ask Robert Buckland MP  :-X to do an Anne Snelgrove and ask questions in the house?  :fish:

Given that an FOI request, on average, costs us all £80 (and could cost up to £450), does it not make more sense to ask if the information's available amongst contributors who may very well know the answers before running off to cost us all yet more money?
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2011, 05:50:57 PM »
The most recent news on 'get signal':

The majority of those with an SN6 7 post code can now enjoy 2 hours free internet, or upgrade to our 24/7 faster paid service for just £9.99 per month, and the first month is FREE.

For those of you in Highworth that we cannot get to at present I hope the following explanation helps,

To be able to cover the remaining area we have two challenges to overcome. Our equipment is mounted on lampposts and therefore our ability to provide coverage is predicated on the availability of appropriate street furniture. In some areas there are concrete lampposts on which we cannot mount our equipment because it is perceived to pose a weight threat to the structural integrity of the post, the second challenge is that we have a number of quite short posts or posts which are in dips, this makes it harder to get effective radio communication between posts.

In the medium to long term we are maintaining a dialogue with Swindon Borough Council who do have a programme of replacing concrete lampposts with more modern steel ones. As Street furniture is upgraded we hope to be able to extend our network coverage. We are not in a position to put a timetable on when this might happen.

Interesting, although a misleading statement.  I think Highworth Town Council, not SBC, is responsible for lamposts in Highworth.

'Maintaining a dialogue' is a meaningless phrase within the context of the above statement.