Author Topic: Is Final Chapter In wi-fi 'Saga' Near?  (Read 321213 times)

Offline Richard Symonds

Re: Is Final Chapter In wi-fi 'Saga' Near?
« Reply #1020 on: November 20, 2012, 01:23:06 PM »
Still no news of who the Magnificent Four will be!!    :-X

Obviously a priority

Just like trying to find out the truth!!

and well into their deliberations by now.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #1021 on: November 20, 2012, 01:31:40 PM »
Richard - good question, I am sure the names will be released very soon. Heavy rumour that labour will put up Coun Moffatt and Coun Bob Wright - one very much into figures and process while the other is more driven to consider ethics and behaviours.

The Conservatives are rumoured to favour Coun Ford and Coun Hurley - whether that's to ensure the issue is kicked in to the long grass is yet to be seen. I suppose it was too much to expect a Coun Ellis type figure!!

More important will be to see and understand the role and scope of the sub committee, what's the bet that Coun Bluh and Coun Perkins will want a narrow remit to be applied with no room for awkward questions

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #1022 on: November 20, 2012, 02:33:22 PM »
Richard - good question, I am sure the names will be released very soon. Heavy rumour that labour will put up Coun Moffatt and Coun Bob Wright - one very much into figures and process while the other is more driven to consider ethics and behaviours.

The Conservatives are rumoured to favour Coun Ford and Coun Hurley - whether that's to ensure the issue is kicked in to the long grass is yet to be seen. I suppose it was too much to expect a Coun Ellis type figure!!

More important will be to see and understand the role and scope of the sub committee, what's the bet that Coun Bluh and Coun Perkins will want a narrow remit to be applied with no room for awkward questions

Who will set the terms of reference?
It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #1023 on: November 20, 2012, 03:08:06 PM »
What would you like them to look like Jennyb?, nothing like getting in suggestions beforehand! 
You sound like you have some experience.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #1024 on: November 20, 2012, 03:29:20 PM »

I've also heard that Cllr's Moffat and Wright will form the Labour side - I like and respect both of them.  Bob Wright was present in Anne Snelgroves constituency office on the day I wandered in and, despite having given both of them a rough time for the previous couple of years, asked them to put that aside and listen to what I had to say about Rod Bluh's WiFi plans.  Both of them did so and that meeting played a small part in helping Anne bring the WiFi'asco to the attention of Parliament

The administrations plan will be, I'm sure, to achieve either a cross-party whitewash, a cross-party spreading of blame, heap the blame onto Rikki Hunts shoulders alone or possibly have another pop at blaming Swindon's arm chair scrutineers...... but what I hope the participants will consider is that there are people truly independent of either political party who already know what the right answers are and who won't hesitate to very publicly correct deliberate attempts to re-write history or massage the public record.

Another point to consider is that we might see two 'Clevers' being appointed to the Conservative half. I do hope so, because our experience has thusfar been that the cleverer local politicians try to be when evading and explaining-away fairly simple acts in a deliberately complex manner, the harder they fall on their arses. See: The Housing Transfer Debacle for some shining examples of utter stupidity.

Any attempt to whitewash or sweep the WiFi'asco under the civic carpet will probably cause more problems for all involved in it than a genuine attempt at truth and reconciliation yet I fear the leaders of the three parties in council all want WiFi to go away.  There is only one way to do that sensibly. It will hurt all of them, but some more so than others. This is the way of such things when done honestly.

The truth will out, I can pretty much guarantee it  :wink:

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #1025 on: November 20, 2012, 08:08:39 PM »
My money is on Hunt falling out of Rodder's favour.

I think we'll find that nice Mr Perkins was very much a victim of his suave machinations and Rodder's was laying block paving in the Town Centre.

Just a wild ill informed guess though as I am notoriously unreliable and poorly informed on virtually all subjects.

How many customers have they got now?
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #1026 on: November 21, 2012, 07:04:18 AM »
How many customers have they got now?

9 1/4  No, wait a minute, that's the platform for the Hogarts express. Doesn't matter I suppose as both exist only in fantasy :)

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #1027 on: November 21, 2012, 02:58:17 PM »
Who will set the terms of reference?

Perhaps a question to the next Scrutiny Committee along with what will be the Terms of Reference?

added to which I am as usual waiting for the promised written answers to my questions at the last meeting. 

The Fact I am still waiting hardly fills me with confidence

that this will be anything but a convenient misrepresentation of the facts!!

Labour if they did but realize it still have much to lose over this issue.

They must prove that Rod has not got them precisely where he wants them!!

The Swindon public expects. ::)
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline jennyb

• Kareen
« Reply #1028 on: November 24, 2012, 11:04:54 AM »
What would you like them to look like Jennyb?, nothing like getting in suggestions beforehand! 
You sound like you have some experience.

M,

I am sure that many of us have experience of either setting or working to terms of reference.

When the 'council' have set the TOR it will become apparent just how extensive this exercise will be.

It will be interesting to note whether the BS has to approve them.

I am content to wait and see what transpires.

It takes wisdom to know what you know and wisdom to know what you don't know and when to call in those who do. Often the people who do know will advise that evidence and research are very helpful when making decisions. Who knows it might even save a bit of money.

Offline swindoncentric

Is Final Chapter In wi-fi 'Saga' Near?
« Reply #1029 on: November 25, 2012, 08:09:27 PM »
Holding the Wi-Failed people to account will be even easier on the move with this app.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #1030 on: November 26, 2012, 10:04:15 AM »
My money is on Hunt falling out of Rodder's favour.

He will undoubtedly become a sacrifice on Rod's table of 'I never make a mistake'.

The question is will Rikki get his version out first?  If I were him I would at least want to have a say and so for that reason he needs to provide his evidence to the working party, unless they are 'not interested', of course!

Meanwhile, we are all still waiting and the clock is ticking and the goose is getting fat and they expect to meet, investigate and report in January!! 

This lack of urgency definitely shows intent and as I have said many times previously Labour has more and more to lose if it does not do the business, which would prove the Administration has got them exactly where they want them! 

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #1031 on: November 26, 2012, 12:05:11 PM »
Any SBC councillor who was truly representing the residents and taxpayers of Swindon, should, by now, be all over the Wi-Fi'asco like a cheap suit.

What are they waiting for? :wakeup:
What's it all about?

Offline boothill

« Reply #1032 on: November 26, 2012, 02:37:22 PM »
                            all of 'em ??   yeah  of course !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20495222
Old people believe everything...middle aged people suspect everything...young people know everything    3 2 1 back in the room !

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #1033 on: November 26, 2012, 11:19:09 PM »
What are they waiting for?

Well if they are anything like me, it's ANSWERS

Here's a letter i sent on 13 November

Dear Coun Perkins. Please could you assist me. I am trying to determine the amount of any Bank Loan within the accounts and cannot find any record of one being obtained or used. Please would you direct me to the relevant item within the accounts which relates to any bank loan secured by Digital City UK Limited.

And one i sent on 9 November

Dear Coun Perkins

I am delighted that at long last the 2010 accounts for Digital City UK Limited have now been filed at Companies House.

In your BBC radio interview of 2 September 2011 you said that you had no ‘objection to people knowing where the £400,000 had been spent – at all’.  I would like to take you up on that commitment and ask three questions 

Under ‘cost of sales’ there are four headings titled 

a. Product management/sales support           £31,500

b. Business intelligence                                £ 3,600

c. Customer service                                     £16,000

d. Billing Collections                                     £16,000

Question: Was any of this work undertaken by Mr Hunt or any member of Mr Hunt’s family and was any of the money paid to Mr Hunt or to any family member or company/organisation with which Mr Hunt had an association?

Under the heading ‘Turnover’ is shown the sum of £5,000 

Question: please can you confirm the source of this turnover in terms of was it from Bathgate Bid or was it from paid for packages as a result of the Highworth phase of the Wi-Fi project?

In the forward to the accounts the directors state that the business plan was dependant on selling Wi-Fi to business units and the failure of Digital city to achieve this part of the plan was a reason why the commercial viability of the company was impaired. 

Question: How does this claim accord with the ‘model’ presented to Council in which it was stated the objectives in year one were to 

Sell to 7% of households in year one
Having between 5,000 and 7,000 free users, and we expect that a proportion of these will want to upgrade to a paid service
Selling 1,000 business packages 

You will recall that the Leader of the Council went one step further when stating “We believe that Digital City are being realistic about target sales to households, business, public sector organisations and business visitors”

I look forward to a reply at the soonest as I am sure you would like to honour your pledge of the 2 September 2011

It's now the 25th November and no reply ALTHOUGH he has said he will get back to me -

Your questions will be investigated and once further information is available you will be contacted

Do I think he will answer the questions - no I don't.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #1034 on: November 27, 2012, 08:24:31 AM »
Apparently there was a Meeting of the Scrutiny Committee last night of which I was unaware and therefore did not attend.  Did anyone go and or know what was said on this issue?

That aside I am still waiting for my written answers and would hope that Chairman Small would expedite!! I hope he realizes that by not doing so he is implicated in a cover up by default.

Will the 'working party' be interviewing anyone who may have additional information not necessarily made available by the Directors or the Council?

I wonder what would happen if the 'working party' does the business on its own without reference to outside sources?

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #1035 on: December 05, 2012, 08:59:26 PM »
Hitesh Patel falls on his sword?

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10090550.Council_IT_boss_axed_in_bid_to_balance_budget/
Proud to be gone

ph1lc

« Reply #1036 on: December 05, 2012, 09:19:28 PM »
Hitesh Patel falls on his sword?

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/10090550.Council_IT_boss_axed_in_bid_to_balance_budget/

So now w know where Rodders wants the blame to lie!

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #1037 on: December 05, 2012, 10:52:55 PM »
Pooor journalism that Patels name wasn't mentioned in connection with WiFi and the obvious question asked. Patel MUST have had significant responsibility for the overview of that project. Its ultimate failure has to weigh partly on his shoulders.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #1038 on: December 05, 2012, 11:59:13 PM »
I note The Adver didn't allow comments on that one  :wink:
Proud to be gone

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #1039 on: December 06, 2012, 12:28:17 AM »
Good. That'll save him the daily commute from Chepstow to Swindon. Did we also pay his travel expenses and company car?

Gavin Jones should also have his post 'deleted', partly because he's damned expensive to employ, partly because the council has been allowed to deteriorate so badly while he's been the Chief Exec and also because Wiltshire Council hums along quite nicely without one.

If we can do without gardeners, carers and I.T directors, we can do without Gavin.

We should also axe the Borough solicitor and send him home to enjoy his retirement and spend his severance pay in Hampshire. Do we pay for his commuting too?

Posted from Galaxy Note using Tapatalk 2 App.