Poll

How did you vote in the AV Referendum?

No
Yes
I didn't vote

Author Topic: AV Referendum 2011 - The TS Exit Poll  (Read 9002 times)

Drone

Re: AV Referendum 2011 - The TS Exit Poll
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2011, 10:06:08 AM »
Booo.

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 10:09:08 AM »
Would have been nice to see the AV referendum use an AV-style ballot paper: Rank the following options in order of preference:

Indeed.  It has been a standing joke in our hovel that the AV campaign and the ultimate vote offered no alternative!!

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2011, 06:22:06 PM »
I had to read the ballot paper twice, don't know why, I think I may have been hit with a sudden case of the stupids

I didn't feel at all confused by the question and voted in the certain knowledge that I understood exactly what I was voting for :)

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2011, 08:45:47 PM »
I didn't feel at all confused by the question and voted in the certain knowledge that I understood exactly what I was voting for :)

Does that count as a spoiled paper? You don't seem to have put an X against any of the options  ;D
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2011, 10:20:57 PM »

D'oh!

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 08:26:14 AM »
I thought that the AV vote question was written in a way that many people would not fully understand it and thus put their cross or whatever in the wrong place. It was a question that had to be read very carefully like some trick exam questions.

It could have been written better or simpler i.e.

If you want to keep the present "first past the post" system, put your cross here:   (This is a square box)

If you want to change to the proposed "alternative vote" system, put your cross here:   (This is a square box)

I'm sure others could word it even simpler but I do not have a degree in English or a high flying Civil Serice qualification like the person who wrote the question in the first place.

Webbleman: Mrs Outoftowner did the same thing as Mrs Weebleman in the vote. Did they plot this together while we were "supping?"
What's it all about?

Offline poemogram

• Hello !
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 08:48:04 PM »
I too thought the wording of the AV vote was ill-conceived and not as clear as it might have been...cock up or conspiracy ?...surely cannot be the first...doesn't mean ot was the second..conspiracy and yet...someone must have considered alternatives...

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 09:16:08 PM »
I'm sure others could word it even simpler but I do not have a degree in English or a high flying Civil Serice qualification like the person who wrote the question in the first place.

But I bet you can do sums with letters though! Problem with being a true high flier is that every now and then you're forced to 'bale out' when you least expect it.  ;D

Webbleman: Mrs Outoftowner did the same thing as Mrs Weebleman in the vote. Did they plot this together while we were "supping?"

Yes, I'm just beginning to realise that I've been living in a coalition for the past 40 years  :coolsmiley:

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 09:42:52 PM »
Given that the eventual poll result was almost identical to the forecasts, it seems unlikely that any potentially 'clever' wording achieved anything for either side of the debate.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart