Poll

How did you vote in the AV Referendum?

No
Yes
I didn't vote

Author Topic: AV Referendum 2011 - The TS Exit Poll  (Read 8534 times)

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
AV Referendum 2011 - The TS Exit Poll
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:25:31 AM »
Not that it will particularly give any guide to the national result, but just thought it might be interesting to get a feel for the TS view on the AV Referendum vote.

As far as I'm aware, this poll is fully annonymous (maybe an admin could correct me if I'm wrong?)

"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: AV Referendum 2011 - The TS Exit Poll
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 02:02:43 PM »

Yep. Fully anonymous :)

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 02:19:53 PM »
Thanks, Geoff.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 02:35:11 PM »
I haven't voted in the poll yet (mainly because my phone views in Wap not http but will do when I get in from work, also the only figures I've seen as a probable result is from the guardian.

32% of voters will vote yes
68% of voter will vote no

I don't know how accurate that will be or how big the sample vote was for those figures, be interesting to see what comes of it as this may be the last year I vote if AV comes in.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Muggins

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 02:38:58 PM »
I've voted, having read and watched the arguments I was still split on which way to go. 

The pencil hovered above the voting paper, left a mark in fact and then I put the cross in the other box - however, I sort of hope that Mr Muggins voted the other way!
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 02:40:25 PM »
Interesting numbers, Mellon, hadn't seen that.

Looks like Miliband may get a shot in the arm with Council seat gains but a kick in the teeth for his high-profile support of the 'Yes to AV' campaign.

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 04:26:47 PM »
Mine was effectively a wasted vote as the better half voted for the opposite option (hence I won't bother voting in this on-line poll). Waste of bl**dy time me going out this afternoon >:(

Offline Karsten

• Politics is Bollock'tics
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 04:57:47 PM »
Mine was effectively a wasted vote as the better half voted for the opposite option (hence I won't bother voting in this on-line poll). Waste of bl**dy time me going out this afternoon >:(

Lucky you...
 >:( angry make up sex..  >:D  wwooo weee :banana:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 06:32:48 PM »
Somehow, I don't think Mrs weebleman will be getting any for a while!  ))))
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Alligator

• Twitter - @Alliflowchart
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 07:41:03 PM »

I don't think your votes will be wasted even if they do cancel each other out.  Me and my other half have just had a discussion about which way we'll vote and I think we've concluded that we're about to go and vote for opposing options too.  I believe it's widely recognised that the two options on the ballot are extremely restrictive in what could have been a much wider debate as they simply don't accommodate the full range of alternatives to first past the post.  Consequently as far as I'm concerned no matter what the outcome, I think it's the turnout and the message that can be read from the results that matters.   

My gut feel is that we'll see the NO votes win out on the night, but if that comes with a strong YES vote it will send a message to politicians that the British people aren't satisfied with the current system.

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 07:42:51 PM »
Interesting that, at the time of writing, the TS voting ratio mirrors the Guardian figures almost precisely.

Offline Karsten

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 07:47:18 PM »

Mr or Mrs?
What if she was the one going Yes! ..... YeS! ........YES!...

is there a divorce lawyer in da house?

Offline Mellon

• Mellons Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 07:49:46 PM »

Mr or Mrs?
What if she was the one going Yes! ..... YeS! ........YES!...

is there a divorce lawyer in da house?

its amazing how you didnt reach parliament  ;D
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 08:38:01 PM »

You're right, I feel a migraine coming on   :'(

At least we appeared to agree on the choice of local councillor, so we can't be totally incompatible  :banana:

Edit to add: Judging by the number of names crossed out on the voters' list (@3:00pm) I think the turnout is going to be very low.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 09:47:43 PM »

Always the chance she soiled spoiled her ballot!

Drone

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2011, 08:18:40 AM »
Would have been nice to see the AV referendum use an AV-style ballot paper:

Rank the following options in order of preference:

- Alternative Vote System
- Proportional Representation
- First Past the Post
- Anarchist Free State
- Absolutist Monarchy

Offline Mellon

• Mellons Blog
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2011, 08:55:07 AM »
I had to read the ballot paper twice, don't know why, I think I may have been hit with a sudden case of the stupids

Offline Karsten

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 04:06:13 AM »
Just 25 votes in this poll?
TS doesn't seem to have many involved readers.

Just like Swindon doesn't have many involved voters.
 :(

Offline Muggins

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 07:52:02 AM »
If you look back not many of the 'votes' on TS have attracted people to click the button, but there has usually been plenty of debate about the points.  Maybe people ARE interested, want to discuss and learn more before they make their mark, then get confused enroute and end up not voting?

I noticed several times yesterday that over 200 where looking at TS, perhaps by then it was too late.

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 08:26:05 AM »
I noticed several times yesterday that over 200 where looking at TS, perhaps by then it was too late.

The poll's still open, as far as I'm aware  :)

Drone

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2011, 10:06:08 AM »
Booo.

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 10:09:08 AM »
Would have been nice to see the AV referendum use an AV-style ballot paper: Rank the following options in order of preference:

Indeed.  It has been a standing joke in our hovel that the AV campaign and the ultimate vote offered no alternative!!

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2011, 06:22:06 PM »
I had to read the ballot paper twice, don't know why, I think I may have been hit with a sudden case of the stupids

I didn't feel at all confused by the question and voted in the certain knowledge that I understood exactly what I was voting for :)

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2011, 08:45:47 PM »
I didn't feel at all confused by the question and voted in the certain knowledge that I understood exactly what I was voting for :)

Does that count as a spoiled paper? You don't seem to have put an X against any of the options  ;D
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2011, 10:20:57 PM »

D'oh!

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 08:26:14 AM »
I thought that the AV vote question was written in a way that many people would not fully understand it and thus put their cross or whatever in the wrong place. It was a question that had to be read very carefully like some trick exam questions.

It could have been written better or simpler i.e.

If you want to keep the present "first past the post" system, put your cross here:   (This is a square box)

If you want to change to the proposed "alternative vote" system, put your cross here:   (This is a square box)

I'm sure others could word it even simpler but I do not have a degree in English or a high flying Civil Serice qualification like the person who wrote the question in the first place.

Webbleman: Mrs Outoftowner did the same thing as Mrs Weebleman in the vote. Did they plot this together while we were "supping?"
What's it all about?

Offline poemogram

• Hello !
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2011, 08:48:04 PM »
I too thought the wording of the AV vote was ill-conceived and not as clear as it might have been...cock up or conspiracy ?...surely cannot be the first...doesn't mean ot was the second..conspiracy and yet...someone must have considered alternatives...

Offline Weebleman

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2011, 09:16:08 PM »
I'm sure others could word it even simpler but I do not have a degree in English or a high flying Civil Serice qualification like the person who wrote the question in the first place.

But I bet you can do sums with letters though! Problem with being a true high flier is that every now and then you're forced to 'bale out' when you least expect it.  ;D

Webbleman: Mrs Outoftowner did the same thing as Mrs Weebleman in the vote. Did they plot this together while we were "supping?"

Yes, I'm just beginning to realise that I've been living in a coalition for the past 40 years  :coolsmiley:

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2011, 09:42:52 PM »
Given that the eventual poll result was almost identical to the forecasts, it seems unlikely that any potentially 'clever' wording achieved anything for either side of the debate.