Author Topic: yes / no to AV, have you had all the leaflets?  (Read 1708 times)

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
yes / no to AV, have you had all the leaflets?
« on: May 01, 2011, 10:04:39 PM »
With less than a week to go before we vote on whether to change the way in which our votes in parliamentary elections are translated into bums on seats in the mother of all parliaments, I'm somewhat conscious that the campaign material I've received to date is rather one-sided.

So far, I've had mailings addressed personally to me from the no campaign and from the tories pp David Cameron who also want me to vote no. I have never given either of them my address, so I'm guessing they've obtained it from the electoral register under whichever law allows election candidates to mail me (if they have the resources to do so).

I've had nothing from the yes campaign. Why not?

I'd like to invite TS members to let us know what they've received from the yes and no campaigns  :)

We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Ringer

Re: yes / no to AV, have you had all the leaflets?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 11:46:01 PM »
I asked my fried Vicky Pollard if she had them she said confidently Yes, No, But... :2funny:

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 12:48:07 AM »
It's a tricky one innit?
The proposed AV system is flawed, but if you don't vote for it the egotistical septic politicians will convince themselves that the current situation is just fine and dandy and we worship their self abiding, abnoxious R ses
Proud to be gone

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 09:09:44 AM »
It's a tricky one innit?
The proposed AV system is flawed, but if you don't vote for it the egotistical septic politicians will convince themselves that the current situation is just fine and dandy and we worship their self abiding, abnoxious R ses

That's why I'm voting "Yes".  I don't particularly like AV as a system, but I like the current system even less.

My view is if there's a "No" vote there will be no change to the voting system in my lifetime.

(In particular I really don't think FPTP works for local government especially with one third of the council up every year for reelection).

Moley

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 09:14:08 AM »
Inclined to agree.
Maybe vote for change, then vote for more changes till they get it right
Proud to be gone

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 10:19:51 AM »
I've received two specific leaflets each from both the 'Yes' and 'No' camps... plus about four LibDem local election/'Yes to AV' promo leaflets.

AV could well mean an improved system in certain situations but I don't believe it's a good fit for our particular political party arrangement. It's obvious that the main reason the LibDems are behind the idea is because they know that they stand to gain more than any other party.

The vast majority of people who vote Labour or Tory will not put the opposite party down as their second choice and so the LibDems will mop up most of the 'second' votes, thus giving them a much greater chance of election success in most areas. Regardless of a certain romantic view of politics, it's impossible to deny that the three main parties do poll more or less 90% of all votes cast, and so the fringe parties are still never going to really benefit.

Then there's the problem of low voter turnout. Given that around 30 to 40% of the electorate don't even bother voting, the idea that every vote must count does seem a little sniggerworthy. It's also worth noting that in two out of the three countries that actually use AV currently, voting is compulsory under law.

Also, in a sense, the pro-AV argument that 'people are more likely to get representation' is a bit of a myth. As it stands, for the vast majority of the electorate, if your chosen candidate doesn't win under FPTP it's likely that either the opposite team or the LibDems will be the winner... I can't really see how that will change under AV.

If we had four main political parties, AV would be my choice. But we don't, and it's our current party arrangement and low turnouts that make AV a bit of a non-starter for this country IMO.

FPTP maybe does have some inherent problems, but, to me, it seems the most fair, clear and simple system. I also don't really like the idea that a party that nobody really wanted but were the second least worst option get rewarded with office.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Drone

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 12:12:01 PM »
The Conservatives are opposed to AV. Which is why David Davis is the current Tory Prime Minister.

Actually, the Conservatives are opposed to AV being used to elect politicians but happy to use it to select their leader during the leadership contest. If Tory MPs can understand AV, I think the rest of us should get it eventually.