Author Topic: False Memory Swindrome  (Read 18561 times)

Offline MsD Meanor

• Hello !
Re: False Memory Swindrome
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 08:08:18 AM »
It is the councillors that are always named?

Have people forgotten that councillors don't do the leg work.. The chief executive and other permanent council employees advise and 'recommend'..

If only!

If a councillor wants to do something, no matter how ill-judged/poorly thought out/expensive/wasteful, as a council officer every one of your managers will ensure you do nothing but devote your life into putting their plan in to action.

You don't question the councillor.

You don't question your senior managers.

You don't rock the boat.

You mention 'value for money' at your peril.

I'm not sure if it's like this in other councils, but the level of political power is frightening, the level of officer cowardice is depressing.

That's called "Management by Fear. "  It is illegal. 

It needs someone to stand up and be counted. Bullies then tend to fade away or go elsewhere.

Didn't I read somewhere that SBC (so I guess that means all of them) have signed up to the Mindful Employer programme? 

I can understand that people feel bullied into doing things they don't agree with, "cowardice" is perhaps a bit strong, but the level of hypocrisy seems to know no bounds- if they are really "Mindful Employers" they need to be keeping the welfare of their staff uppermost in their thoughts and behaviour. Seems to be no evidence of this.
 :bash:
!

Offline Karsten

• Politics is Bollock'tics
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 02:04:41 PM »
In PM Questions today, Cameron said that Conservative run councils were pooling resources with others..
sharing chief executives and reducing 'back office' staff's pay.

Isn't SBC conservative run?  Doesn't SBC's chief executive earn more than the PM?
Our MP is conservative.. perhaps he should take this up with the PM.

If Swindon's 'back office' staff are 'cowards' then perhaps they need a proverbial 'kick'.
Saying they just follow orders and aren't responsible reminds me of my history lessons at school.

If the Bollocktical parties are so powerful, then don't vote for them.  I have never feared for my job and always speak up if something is wrong even if its likely to get me fired/made redundant or make enemies.

Drone

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2011, 07:09:05 PM »
And we're in the Eye again (no 1288):

Another publication in danger of forfeiting the right to be taken seriously is the Local Government Chronicle (LGC). It has given Swindon council an award for being the most 'innovative' council in the country - based on its role in trying to provide free Wi-Fi internet access. As Eye readers and Swindon residents know, the scheme has been a complete disaster, failing to meet any of its targets or objectives and culminating in the council's 'partner', Digital City UK, defaulting on a £450,000 loan from the tax payer.

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2011, 08:26:59 PM »

Have people forgotten that councillors don't do the leg work.. The chief executive and other permanent council employees advise and 'recommend'..

If only!

If a councillor wants to do something, no matter how ill-judged/poorly thought out/expensive/wasteful, as a council officer every one of your managers will ensure you do nothing but devote your life into putting their plan in to action.

You don't rock the boat.

I'm not sure if it's like this in other councils, but the level of political power is frightening, the level of officer cowardice is depressing.

It needs someone to stand up and be counted. Bullies then tend to fade away or go elsewhere.

Didn't I read somewhere that SBC (so I guess that means all of them) have signed up to the Mindful Employer programme? 

I can understand that people feel bullied into doing things they don't agree with, "cowardice" is perhaps a bit strong, but the level of hypocrisy seems to know no bounds- if they are really "Mindful Employers" they need to be keeping the welfare of their staff uppermost in their thoughts and behaviour. Seems to be no evidence of this.
!

I am afraid this is how SBC works. Like it or not. I have certainly seen and been party to such management behaviour.

If you don't tow the line good bye career or perhaps job?

Ringer

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 08:43:36 AM »
Well it will all soon be privatised and then it will be much better as such behaviour does not exist in the private sector which is wonderful and its like eden so we are told by, Rod, Pickles, Perkins, LGC, Mallinson, Renard  etc.  :2funny:

Drone

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 11:47:49 AM »

If only!

You don't rock the boat.

!

I am afraid this is how SBC works. Like it or not. I have certainly seen and been party to such management behaviour.

If you don't tow the line good bye career or perhaps job?

And it seems to be getting more prevalent and *ironically* actually inhibits the creative thinking the council needs to improve.

Offline boothill

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 11:58:56 AM »
William ********-*****

11 April 2011

Dear Swindon Borough Council,

Further to my request dated 10/04/2011 seeking information re the
debt incurred by Iceland's banking system collapse, I have a
further question to ask.

What measures, if any, are being undertaken by SBC. to ensure
repayment of the £450,000 that was loaned to Digital City including
the interest accrued on aforesaid loan ?
Yours faithfully,

William ********-*****

Link to this | Send follow up

Customer Services
Swindon Borough Council

11 April 2011

Thank you for your email which has been forwarded to the FOI office for response.

Kind regards

Customer Services
Swindon Borough Council
Wat Tyler House
Swindon SN1 2JG
Phone: 01793 445500

E-mail: [Swindon Borough Council request email]

It would appear that the predictions made by a few TS members re the likelihood of my receiving a reply to my FOI request were well founded
and I should have a response to my questions by 13/05/2011.

Am I over simplifying matters to ask why this money has apparently disappeared, and furthermore, if I were to come up with a sooper dooper business plan that stood no chance at all of succeeding, let alone getting off the drawing board..would SBC be willing to finance me to the tune of £450,000 and allow me to bu**er off abroad and live out my "Golden" years in comparative luxury ?

Could someone please explain to me in plain English just how this whole debacle has come about, and what if anything, is being done by SBC to rectify this situation. (or is that exactly what SBC don't want to happen ?)

« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 12:59:53 PM by boothill »
Old people believe everything...middle aged people suspect everything...young people know everything    3 2 1 back in the room !

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 04:36:53 PM »
Could someone please explain to me in plain English just how this whole debacle has come about, and what if anything, is being done by SBC to rectify this situation. (or is that exactly what SBC don't want to happen ?)

Where have you been since October 2010?

The amount of threads associated with the Wi-Fi saga runs into double figures.

Offline boothill

« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 05:54:49 PM »
I asked for a simple answer Mr Morgan...not the spanish inquisition, but then not all of us are hovering kite like behind our monitors waiting for hapless individuals like myself to come along.   I realise that I am not yet, nor will ever b,e a member of the TS inner circle, but then again...do I want to be ?...end of !
Old people believe everything...middle aged people suspect everything...young people know everything    3 2 1 back in the room !

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 06:10:17 PM »
I',m afraid Boothill that you'll have you read through the threads to see how the whole story unfolded.
It is worth it but if that seems a lot of work, you seem to have got the gist of it i.e. the taxpayers of Swindon have been turned over for £450,000 for a bogus Wi-Fi project.

http://www.talkswindon.org/index.php?board=207.0

SBC have 20 working days to answer a Freedom of Information request. So if SBC received it of the 11th April 2011, it must be answered by tomorrow, 13 May 2011, as you correctly say.

We have all been waiting for the answer, as well as you so well done for asking.
What's it all about?

Drone

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2011, 06:18:54 PM »
 ???

Is there a TS inner circle? Do they wear black robes, burn purple candles and chant in the garden of Mr reid's pied-a-terre every bank holiday weekend?

Des makes the point he does because it's a very complicated business that the TS Opus Dei members have devoted a lot of time to investigating.

Put simply, long long ago in a land not so far away,  a magician named Rikki Hunt called up his mates on the council and said, how about you give me a big pot of money and I'll give you free wi-fi? What a scoop, the papers cried as Swindon wobbled on the edge of technological greatness. Money was handed over and work began...

after a few months, a few brave and cyncial souls started to wonder where the wi-fi was and how Mr Hunt had missed all his lovely promises. Shh, said the council, you'll spoil the magic and they handed over even more money and some senior counil workers made some very silly decisions.

Behind the curtain, the people of Swindon were promises the greatest, free-est wi-fi the world had seen, but they saw no wi-fi emerge. And there was a bad smell coming from behind the magic curtain. Letters were written, but the stern councillors would not say a word.

Time passed and the wi-fi was forgotten. Mr Hunt's magic company was given to his wife while he climbed mountains for charity. The poor people of Swindon regretted that they had given away their cow in exchange for very unmagical wi-fi beans. Then they remmebered they had never agreed to it and wondered why the idiots responsible kept getting voted back in.

Offline boothill

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2011, 06:19:41 PM »
Thanks OutofTowner  for a more reasoned response to my enquiry, and as I have been living abroad for the last 7 1/2 years, I can't reasonably be expected to be conversant with the political machinations of the illustrious town council that is SBC.

Actually, I've been more interested with what Chicago City Council were up to, along with Nerja Town Council.

And before you ask, I don't know what possessed me to return to the UK in general, and Swindon in particular...maybe it's because I loved living here in the 70s and 80s when I was a serviceman stationed hereabouts ?

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2011, 06:23:04 PM »
I asked for a simple answer Mr Morgan...not the spanish inquisition,

Wow - so touchy.  Read the answer again - it's not anything like the Spanish Inquisition

waiting for hapless individuals like myself to come along.

No one is waiting for 'hapless individuals to come along' However, I am amazed that you sent an FOI to the Council without first researching your subject, if you had I am sure you would not have asked what action was being taken to recover £450k as the amount loaned was only £400k. It was a very bold move on your part.

I realise that I am not yet, nor will ever be a member of the TS inner circle, but then again...do I want to be ?...

I am not aware there is an 'inner circle' as a contributor and a signed up member you have equal status with any other TS member and we really do welcome you as such.

Drone

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2011, 06:29:24 PM »

I realise that I am not yet, nor will ever be a member of the TS inner circle, but then again...do I want to be ?...

I am not aware there is an 'inner circle' as a contributor and a signed up member you have equal status with any other TS member and we really do welcome you as such.

But only once you've undergone the top secret initiation rite... bwahahaha!  ;D

Offline boothill

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2011, 06:39:52 PM »
I'm NOT growing another finger on each hand for anybody...and I'm sh*t at banjo playing, so that lets me out I guess ?

Offline Spectre

• Hello !
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2011, 08:41:38 PM »
I'm NOT growing another finger on each hand for anybody...and I'm sh*t at banjo playing, so that lets me out I guess ?

Boothill, repeat after me;

When the seagulls......................................... ................

follow the trawler.......................................... .................

it is because they think............................................ .......

sardines will be thrown into the sea.

There, now you can give Mr Des a running drop kick. :bottom:

Welcome to TS  :coffee:

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2011, 08:53:27 PM »
There, now you can give Mr Des a running drop kick

Yup - let's have a kick Des day :'(

Ringer

« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2011, 09:45:35 PM »
Did Swindon Make Private Eye again this week?

Offline swindoncentric

« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2011, 10:11:07 PM »
We did make Private Eye again, pointing out the bizarre equivalence of the council's wi-fi project winning an award for most innovative idea, while having achieved nearly nil!

Welcome to the Rotten Borough.

Ringer

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2011, 12:18:01 AM »
We did make Private Eye again, pointing out the bizarre equivalence of the council's wi-fi project winning an award for most innovative idea, while having achieved nearly nil!

Welcome to the Rotten Borough.

Thanks, for the update on the eye but the LCG has done its own eye watering  digital free deal, if you sign up for the LGC as a subscription you get a free 2GB stick with guess what the list of the 50 influential  people on it. I read the nomination for Rod and Gavin and before they took over running the council together. Memory serves me slightly differently than the nomination I thought that Mike Bawden and Sir Mike Pitt secured 2 stars in December 2005? The announcement came at the same time as the temporary library premises next to the civic was announced (whilst the new one was being built a sort of double whammy celebration)? I would hardly describe that as a struggling council would you? I thought  Mike Bawden stepped down in Mid May 2006 and Gavin became CEO at the end of June 2006 and Sir Mike Pitt stepped down as CEO and then assisted at SCS.

This is the quote from page 24 http://www.lgcplus.com/Journals/3/Files/2011/4/11/LGC50%20Supplement.pdf
Gavin Jones &
Roderick Bluh
This chief
executive and
leader team
from Swindon
BC have turned
round a
struggling
council and
innovated in
the diverse fields of family
policy and technology.
They have led pioneering
work on looking at complex
families in the round, and are
bringing free broadband to
the whole town.

The quote that states it was underperforming

A few years ago, Swindon was
an underperforming council.
Now, under chief executive
Gavin Jones (above, left) and
leader Roderick Bluh (Con), it
is leading on two innovations,
in family policy and in
technology.
Their work on complex
families has given its social
services team a new
approach, by looking at each
family in the round and
selecting different
professions as appropriate to
work with them.
Swindon?s Digital City
project aims to install free
broadband internet access
across the borough, which
has been done in the
Highworth area.

Did Mike Bawden knew believed the council was struggling/under performing when he stepped down?   

Des Morgan Don't tell me; it's all open to interpretation :2funny: