Author Topic: 'Not Interested' Is that the Theme of this Election?  (Read 7469 times)

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
Re: 'Not Interested' Is that the Theme of this Election?
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2011, 08:13:45 PM »
Its a good idea, but there could be up to 21 candidates 3 major parties, green, UKIP, and   X number of independents and any other political group.

Well that will make it all the more interesting  O0

Thanks Ringer  :coolsmiley: , we are already prepared for anything given the possible changes to the ward structure etc by then  :D

Hence why we need the time to plan it properly  >:D
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Karsten

• Politics is Bollock'tics
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 04:17:25 AM »
I'd have thought with the Wi-Fiasko that interest in Highworth would be high..
and it seems Highworth had the highest turnout.
The winner?
Alan Bishop  Conservative  1662 Majority = 711 ( - 85 since Melanie Duff won seat in 2007)

DC and the Wi-Fiasko is due to Bluh and co.. you would have thought it would have turned some people against the cons. and brought out some protest voters?

So all the stuff on DC, Hunt and Bluh that TS has unearthed stands for nawght?
Has the Wi-Fi been a success in Highworth?

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 08:40:52 AM »
Politically charged forums tend to give a distorted view of the wider reality...

...Similarly, of the people I've spoken to, virtually none of them have any interest whatsoever in the AV referendum and largely haven't considered it worth even appraising themselves of the options.

From the Adver:

Despite a nationwide push encouraging residents to have their say in the Alternative Voting referendum, only 39.2 per cent of the electorate actually showed up at a polling station.

Slightly less than the overall national average.

And then:

The turnout at the May elections is likely to be low and, I agree with Richard, it's because the majority of people simply don't care. They have far more pressing concerns in many cases.

The highest turn-out for the local elections was in Highworth ward where 46.08 per cent of the electorate voted.

The lowest was in Parks, where the figure was just 29.62 per cent.

So, the lady who won in the Parks achieved around 60% of the votes of far less than a third of the people who live there. In other words, she's only directly achieved the mandate of about 16% of the electorate.

Yep, apathy ruled in Swindon. I suspect this benefited Labour, as my guess would be that many Tory voters felt no burning desire to get out and vote while Labour party types seem very angry about just about everything at the moment.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 08:47:50 AM »
Alan Bishop  Conservative  1662 Majority

Highworth resident, past Mayor of Highworth, very well known and respected.  He is also a mature citizen which is a euphenism for saying he is older than the usual candidates (I do know Alan and can get awy with saying such things, it's Mrs B who worries me)

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 08:50:01 AM »
I'd have thought with the Wi-Fiasko that interest in Highworth would be high...

So all the stuff on DC, Hunt and Bluh that TS has unearthed stands for nawght?

Karsten, it's not the popular view here, but I just don't think the wider electorate really cares. People are used to politicians squandering billions, so £400k on a loan that may, or may not, have been legal just doesn't really bother the average man in the street, especially if the Council were viewed as having been trying to do something useful.

I honestly believe that the average man in the street just thinks, 'Cool, free wifi everywhere. Yeah, be good if it happens' and goes about their business. Many never really consider these things much further than the headlines. And, let's face it, who really is surprised or gets bitter when a Council-proposed scheme doesn't then actually work?

I'm well aware that some people here are keenly interested, and have indeed unearthed highly interesting information and published huge amounts of key comment on the subject. It's all been very freely available and widely highlighted, both here and, increasingly, on the Adver comments sections. It may well be viewed as surprising, but I guess it just doesn't figure too highly in the public's list of issues.

Indeed, in the bizarre world of politics, it might even be the case that the opposite effect to the one clearly desired may have been achieved. The result in Shaw & Nine Elms indicates that the popularity of those responsible has not been affected by the fiasco.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart