Author Topic: Will it be MORE FLATS & PARKING PENALTIES?  (Read 6166 times)

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
Will it be MORE FLATS & PARKING PENALTIES?
« on: April 19, 2011, 12:21:32 AM »
One of my neighbours returned, from walking her dog.
She then informed us that there's a little notice, on a lampost, informing us that The Newburn Centre is about to be demolished.
The notice also states that vehicles may not park in Dean Street whilst the demolition is in progress in order to improve access for lorries.
As nobody has been given notice at their residence, is this to be another surge for traffic wardens?
What is to become of the acquired land?
I hope it is not going to be more flats, or anything to cause further parking problems / windscreen slapping in zone K

Proud to be gone

Offline Ringer

Re: Will it be MORE FLATS & PARKING PENALTIES?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 07:57:49 AM »
Is that the office block at the bottom of the Crescent?
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 09:02:18 AM »
Regeneration continues apace!!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Ringer

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 09:08:08 AM »

Do you not mean a space?  ;D
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 09:11:06 AM »

Do you not mean a space?  ;D

Well on the basis of the Town Centre I guess they could demolish and then let the saplings grow surrounded by dirty wooden painted boarding.  It improves the vista, doesn't it?

You know it makes sense
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Ringer

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 09:15:58 AM »
Don't worry it will only be like that for another 3 years.

Offline the gorgon

• Hello !
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 09:23:15 AM »
Only one planning application exists for the Newburn Centre (from 1994) http://195.89.201.121/PublicAccess77/propdb/property/property_history_summary.aspx?module=P3&lpikeyval=001TAHPTLI000&blpukeyval=001SUDPTBU000 which is odd as I thought you needed planning permission to demolish a building  ???

However, I suspect business rates > rental income so it's being demolished.  Once it's demolished and becomes an eyesore a proposal will be submitted for 'luxury' flats.

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 09:50:48 AM »
Is that the office block at the bottom of the Crescent?

That's the one  O0
Proud to be gone

Offline Ringer

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 10:59:58 AM »
More businesses and employment space going where have all the business gone? Swindon the Developers Dream! No more houses let us have some jobs!

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 11:50:41 AM »
More businesses and employment space going where have all the business gone? Swindon the Developers Dream! No more houses let us have some jobs!

Yes, but Rod said in full Council Business wants to do Business in Swindon

If that is the case why are so many Commercial Properties empty then?

You know it makes sense, well

sometimes but only to those that say it and Rod believes Swindon is the place to be!

Offline MsD Meanor

• Hello !
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 12:41:23 PM »
There are so many empty commercial properties- some have never been occupied.

What is wrong with converting them to homes for people who need them?

Surely this would reduce the perceived pressure on green field sites? :argh:

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 03:07:11 PM »
There are so many empty commercial properties- some have never been occupied.

What is wrong with converting them to homes for people who need them?

Surely this would reduce the perceived pressure on green field sites? :argh:

In the case of The Newburn Centre, there are already insufficient parking spaces in the area. Addimg more flats will make the situation worse, but SBC will still sell permits and issue questionable PCNs
Proud to be gone

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 11:07:56 PM »
Here's a little more info on the off chance that people are not yet totally peed off with the residents parking scheming.

It appears that even if you pay extortionate sums of money, to park outside your home, not only do you still receive parking penalties for the pettiest of reasons, but you could be banned from parking regardless.

From May 9th to May 24th residents of Zone K are barred from parking in Dean Street 8:00 till 5:00 on week days.

This is to allow easy access to lorries, during the demolition of The Newburn Centre.

Cheeky ba :censored: s.
What the  :censored: do we pay for.

I swear if they build more flats, to make the parking situation worse, I'm gonna do something I can't print here  :tickedoff:
Proud to be gone

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 08:47:39 AM »
Here's a little more info on the off chance that people are not yet totally peed off with the residents parking scheming.

It appears that even if you pay extortionate sums of money, to park outside your home, not only do you still receive parking penalties for the pettiest of reasons, but you could be banned from parking regardless.

From May 9th to May 24th residents of Zone K are barred from parking in Dean Street 8:00 till 5:00 on week days.

Car parking and residents permits are a milch-cow that SBC can't let go of:

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/9014548.Parking_fines_earn___3m_in_three_years/

PEOPLE parking illegally in Swindon have helped the council rack up almost £3m in fines during the last three years.

But this figure would have grown considerably had car park staff not gone out on strike for months last year – which could have lost the council more than £300,000.

Under a Freedom of Information request Swindon Council revealed that parking fines in the town had made it £1.02m between 2008-9 and £1.1m between 2009-10.

The figure was £806,117 last year when the strikes, which also affected leisure centres and parks, saw council staff walk out during weekends in a row over cuts to pay.

The affect on how many parking fines were dished out and how much the council could have made has now been highlighted for the first time. Between 2008-9 parking wardens dished out 36,122 tickets for illegally parked cars, this figure soared to 38,730 the following year.

But between 2010-11 – when the strikes were in full swing – only 27,892 penalty tickets were given out.

Swindon Council has also mapped out the streets where motorists are most likely to be fined.

Between 2008-10 the top three streets where parking tickets were given out were: Davis Place, off Commercial Road, with 1,122 tickets; Newhall Street, also off Commercial Road, with 920; and Clifton Street, where 822 tickets were issued.

Anyone know who raised the FOI?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline I Could Do That

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 09:55:53 AM »
It just gets better.
The demolition company are called 'City Demolition' .
Two words tangibly associated with Swindon.

Was it Karsten who filed the FOI?

Hoping he'll inform us if it was
Proud to be gone

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2011, 02:45:52 PM »
People parking ILLEGALLY in Swindon have helped the council rack up almost £3m in fines during the last three years.

Isn't the issue in the word highlighted.  If you don't want to be fined don't park illegally.  I don't undertsand why anyone would risk a hefty fine when you can park in a car park for a couple of pounds.  Look at where the high risk of fine areas are, not exactly too far from car parks.

On this one i am all for the Council increasing the number of wardens - cutting the numbers from 39 to 30 is madness.  Each one should be 'revenue neutral' allowing for back offcie expenses.  If it means giving a real job to a person who will be paid for out of fines that surely must be good.

I am not sure why we need employ people to 'teach walking'

Offline Muggins

« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2011, 02:58:27 PM »
Des: Isn't the issue in the word highlighted.  If you don't want to be fined don't park illegally

My thought exactly, but 20 might point out that with residents parking as it is, it might not be that easy.  'Course if you are somewhere else, it's up to you not to park where you shouldn't.   

Wonder what they do with the parking fines, if it goes in the general pot, it saves the rest of us rate payers.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2011, 03:16:16 PM »
My thought exactly, but 20 might point out that with residents parking as it is, it might not be that easy

I agree with the sentiment and if residents cannot park because some inconsiderate person has parked in 'their' street then I feel  (a) the council should be aware of that and make a concession (not too difficult) and (b) the council should be even more draconian in their enforcement measures and ensure miscreants are targetted and dealt with severely

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2011, 03:59:33 PM »
Des and Muggins - widen thine eyes (or show a little empathy at least - and spice it with some weary cynicism borne of dealing with our politicrats)

'Ilegal' is one thing - yellow lines, zig-zags etc - things which are against the law and DO need to be regulated for the sake of safety... Then there's the 'opportunist revenue raising' activity - the targeting of residents zones, car parks etc.. The former were area set up not according to the guidance of the Highways Agency, but by the council! They KNOW (because they SOLD the permits!) that there are more permits than parking spaces. That's why they harvest mug residents who've arrived back late and found nowhere to park by deliberately patrolling the zones at 6.00am in the morning - AND - as pointed out in the adver comments, by  issuing tickets on Bank Holidays.

If we had fewer wardens, surely they'd concentrate their self-important efforts on the areas which matter most, NOT those which simply bring in the most revenue for the least effort - AND (which one notes) often at stupid times which must be earning the wardens overtime...?
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Muggins

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2011, 04:55:02 PM »
I do sympathise with those who live in residents parking zones, and I said that, or that I had.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)