Author Topic: Caroline Lucas unleashed on an unsuspecting comedy night crowd  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
Actually it's a party political broadcast from the green party. But if I'd said so in the title then you probably wouldn't have bothered reading this thread, and you probably won't see it on the telly because the greens don't have the same sort of advertising power as the big parties  :-\

It's Caroline Lucas though, leader of the green party and someone who I have a lot of respect for (despite my lack of faith in politicians generally), so I hope people will take 3 minutes to listen to what she has to say.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/1BKo_NlwZOQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/1BKo_NlwZOQ</a>

We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Karsten

• Politics is Bollock'tics
Re: Caroline Lucas unleashed on an unsuspecting comedy night crowd
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 08:25:03 PM »
hmmm,
Politicians do the weirdest things!

Isn't this called dying on stage..
not what you want on a Comedy night out.. now if she had done a proper stand up..!! That would be a vote winner.

She sounds like she's had a bit of Blair speech coaching too.

I do agree with the point that smaller parties and Independent candiadates get very little or no coverage.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 09:11:57 AM »
Good speech and well delivered, (who cares is she's had coaching - it's better than sitting through a long one with no presentation skills).

However, I don't think she would have done herself and the Green Party any good doing that, you just have to look at the embarrassed faces in the audience and can imagine the conversations on the way home. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Jean

• Jefferies Land Conservation Trust
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 09:21:59 AM »
It was a rather strange approach to electioneering, but Caroline Lucas would get my vote anytime. I first met her about 20 years ago and she always spoke with clarity and purpose. She has never been a rabble rouser and her speech to this young audience did her credit. 
Live simply so that others might simply live

Offline Muggins

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 12:31:57 PM »
She comes over well in discussion shows and interviews on the tele too.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 01:37:21 PM »
That's actually one of the better shot and produced PPBs I've seen.

Outside of the ConLabLib parties, the Greens are the only party to be granted airtime by the BBC for the English Local Elections in May. Their PPB goes out on both BBC1 and BBC2 on the 27th April.

Don't know whether UKIP or the BNP supplied PPBs or not, but the BBC isn't showing them in England.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Alex

• Alex Coppock-Bunce Hypnotherapy & Counselling
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 08:13:58 AM »
I Liked it.

Brilliant idea to change the energy of a venue like this. The contrast will have stuck in some peoples' minds, if not everyone's

The Green Party have their work cut out to make a difference in a culture that is apathetic and used to the same old same old. Change is what is needed and Caroline has struck out in a very unique way-IMHO.

Its true too.

Offline Ringer

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 08:28:51 AM »
Read their manifesto. Have the Greens got a local Manifesto? http://swindongreens.org.uk/manifesto/ if so can someone point me in the direction of it? I know some of us scrutinise UKIP for being 1 issue and how relevant locally their message is, but what about the greens?

http://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/greens-launch-local-election-campaign-its-no-joke.html

If I consider voting Green localy what am I actually voting for?

I am just asking the question, what will a Green council do for Swindon?

BTW Their Housing Policy is a sympathetic  version of the Post War Government's homes for everyone  :clap: Will the greens have a prefab programme?
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Simon

• Jnr. Jedi
    • Swindon Climate Action Network
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 09:52:53 PM »
I Liked it.

Brilliant idea to change the energy of a venue like this. The contrast will have stuck in some peoples' minds, if not everyone's

The Green Party have their work cut out to make a difference in a culture that is apathetic and used to the same old same old. Change is what is needed and Caroline has struck out in a very unique way-IMHO.

Its true too.

That's pretty much what I thought, although I couldn't find the words for it at the time.

Read their manifesto. Have the Greens got a local Manifesto? http://swindongreens.org.uk/manifesto/ if so can someone point me in the direction of it? I know some of us scrutinise UKIP for being 1 issue and how relevant locally their message is, but what about the greens?

http://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/greens-launch-local-election-campaign-its-no-joke.html

If I consider voting Green localy what am I actually voting for?

I am just asking the question, what will a Green council do for Swindon?

Fair point, it looks like the Swindon greens need more local stuff in their manifesto rather than repeating the national manifesto.

I'm not aligned to any party and think that political parties are part of the problem rather than part of the solution (as poor Jenni knows all too well from my refusal to join the greens) but I have a good, and local, reason for supporting them in this election.

Every year, when the list of candidates for election to SBC is published, I scan it for names I recognise. If I recognise any names, it's usually because they're already / have been in the past a SBC cllr, or because they've previously stood for election.

But when I see the names of the green candidates, I tend to see the names of people I already know from other (non party political) campaigns, be it environmental, animal welfare, human rights, social justice or whatever.

The impression I get is that the green candidates want to make the world a better place, and that standing for election to SBC is just one of the ways in which they hope to do so, whereas the candidates for the other parties just want to get elected / start a career in politics.

There are of course exceptions to this (e.g. Chris Watts) but that's just my general impression.
We are all in this together, but some of us are more in it than others (with apologies to George Orwell)

Offline Chav

• INNIT!
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 09:59:09 PM »
Good speech and well delivered, (who cares is she's had coaching - it's better than sitting through a long one with no presentation skills).

However, I don't think she would have done herself and the Green Party any good doing that, you just have to look at the embarrassed faces in the audience and can imagine the conversations on the way home.

I Like her - she does come across well. I did see her on the news on TV quite a while back and thought what a nice lady she was.
"Politics is the skilled use of blunt objects." -- Lester B. Pearson.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 03:00:13 AM »

And she's fit  :)

Offline Drone

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 07:28:46 AM »
Simon - I always found the Greens quite right of centre, particularly on Europe. And they can be quite anti-Israel. Is this still the case? Are the party still calling for a complete boycott of Israel?
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Muggins

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 09:33:45 AM »
"And she's fit"    Oye, you ain't supposed to notice that!

Surely a pretty ankle wouldn't cloud your judgement , would it? Geoff?