Author Topic: Swindon Dial a Ride To Continue Door To Door Transport For Disabled  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

Some very welcome news for users and operators of the Swindon Dial A Ride service:

Dial-a-ride is a door-to-door, local passenger transport service for those who have difficulties in using conventional passenger transport services due to disability.

In early 2010 Swindon Borough Council withdrew grant funding from Swindon Dial A Ride and decided to put the 'Dial A Ride service' out to public tender.  This meant other transport operators have now been given the opportunity to submit bids to run the services.

Councillor Peter Mallinson, (Cabinet Member for Health and Adult Social Care), and Tim Price, Head of Transport Delivery attended the Annual General Meeting of Swindon Dial A Ride on Thursday 24th June 2010.  In due course I will publish the minutes of that meeting as well as notes taken during a question and answer session. They make interesting reading, especially the section which describes how Councillor Mallinson explained how various elements of servision provision were 'weighted' for tendering purposes. 

www.swindonlink.org reported the following on the 17th of March 2011

Swindon Dial-a-Ride have been awarded the Dial-a-ride contract in Swindon subject to a two week cooling off period. This is the same provider that has been running the service over the past years.

The agreement period is scheduled to commence on the 1st of April 2011 and run until the 31st August 2012.

Swindon Borough Council intends to issue a new agreement after this period as part of the Council's Social Needs Transport Review (SNTR). I understand that if the outcome of the SNTR is delayed the agreement contains provision for the agreement to be extended for a further 24 months.

16 months + 24 months = 40 months = potentially 3 years and 4 months.

Dial A Ride, I suspect, will outlive the Administration which tried to kill it. :)