Author Topic: Incredible highlighting of the devastation in Japan  (Read 4429 times)

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
Re: Incredible highlighting of the devastation in Japan
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 09:11:24 PM »
Nuclear is not a choice it it as a final option forced by facing ones fears.

im not quite sure what you mean, Nuclear is a choice until we run out of carbon based fuels the problem is everyone talks about using renewable energy sources but we are limited with the present technology, until the next technological revolution happens we will be stuck with using carbon based fuels just for pure convenience.

Everything on earth contains carbon , you , me, your pc, absolutely everything. Carbon is a by-product of a dying star, during the last few moments of a stars life, its mass suddenly decreases and then explodes creating a super-nova, the energy from this explosion creates a temperature of more then 15,000,000 times that of the suns core and as the temperature rises carbon is expelled as dust as the hydrogen turns to helium.
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2011, 10:24:38 PM »
Prof Brian Cox, top bloke, but makes my head hurt.

Still say those Jap nukes are pretty decent, earthquake, tsunami and explosions and the damn things still haven't made anyone glow in the dark. That is outstanding

Wonder how many wind turbines would have been required to deliver the same output and how they would have fared?

Yes I do remember the Variomatic, ugly little bugger that looked like a Trabant, but, like Prof Cox, head numbingly clever.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 09:29:35 AM »
Mart "and the damn things still haven't made anyone glow in the dark"

Well, not as far as we know, Aye Mart.

They may well still be saying that, when the Earth is doing just that (read Mellons posting!)

I keep telling you I'm a star person and I have the certificate to prove it!

Ps why is it some trust nothing our own gvernment tells us, but believe the Japanese government is open and honest.
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Ringer

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2011, 09:57:50 AM »
Yes I do remember the Variomatic, ugly little bugger that looked like a Trabant, but, like Prof Cox, head numbingly clever.

That is the best description of the DAF Variomatic I have ever come across.  O0
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Mellon

• Mellons Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2011, 07:46:00 PM »

That is the best description of the DAF Variomatic I have ever come across.  O0

was that the thing with those cones and single belt?
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Ringer

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2011, 07:50:11 PM »
Yes Mellon little more than an elastic band
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Mellon

• Mellons Blog
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2011, 07:50:57 PM »
how.........retro?  ;D

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2011, 09:51:21 PM »
Ps why is it some trust nothing our own gvernment tells us, but believe the Japanese government is open and honest.

It's because we enjoy ours on a daily basis, it's like a comfy old pair of testicle clamps slippers. We slip them on and find, remarkably, they are even more uncomfortable than last time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variomatic

Achey head.

http://www.carandclassic.com/car/C111217?pt=pf

Oooh no.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2011, 02:25:09 PM »
An article that's sure to cause a few raised eyebrows here (when you consider the author - although I'm sure half of what he writes is purely to cause an outcry):

Every energy technology carries a cost; so does the absence of energy technologies. Atomic energy has just been subjected to one of the harshest of possible tests, and the impact on people and the planet has been small. The crisis at Fukushima has converted me to the cause of nuclear power.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/mar/21/pro-nuclear-japan-fukushima
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2011, 07:55:57 PM »
Agreed, but every reactor should be built to the Japanese spec, absolutely astonishing.

And some very, very brave people seem to have just got the power back on.

Think of s life without power, or rationed power, or power at 10 times the price. Unless the green gear ups it's game then few other options are available, so make the absolute best of what is available. I can't see a better option than nuclear but I'm open to being educated.

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2011, 08:38:23 PM »
An article that's sure to cause a few raised eyebrows here (when you consider the author - although I'm sure half of what he writes is purely to cause an outcry):

Every energy technology carries a cost; so does the absence of energy technologies. Atomic energy has just been subjected to one of the harshest of possible tests, and the impact on people and the planet has been small. The crisis at Fukushima has converted me to the cause of nuclear power.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/mar/21/pro-nuclear-japan-fukushima

I agreed with the article (based on what's happened so far)

But I'd rather reserve judgement until we know what's actually happened, and they've definitely got the reactors back under control.

I also think the Germans in particular have lost the plot on this one a bit...  people need to understand risk + cost / benefit analysis.  On the other hand I do hope that whilst we don't need to worry too much about a magnitude 9 earthquake, we do need to worry about the possibility of a 30 foot tsunami in nuclear plant design (i.e. make sure the pumps aren't at sea level

Moley