Author Topic: Swindon Political Leaflets 2010  (Read 15559 times)

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
Re: Swindon Political Leaflets 2010
« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2011, 09:08:55 AM »
Was out in Bristol last night (top night, top band - why didn't it happen at MECA?) and returned home to find the latest missive from Mr Watts. Here goes:

First item: have a go at Tory run council AND the LibDems

Third item:  have a go at the Tories AND LibDems

Fourth item: have a go at the LibDems

Sixth: item: have a go at Tory run council (apparently the Tories aren't even standing in Mr Watts' ward)

Seventh item: have a go at the Tory run council AND the LibDems

Ninth item: have a go at the Tory run council AND the LibDems

Six out of nine items exist soley to attack other parties. Two of the remaining three are brief mentions about the roads and the other is just a puff piece about Mr Watts himself.

The language used throughout the leaflet is typical Old Labour circa 1980. Mr Watts seems to be aligning himself wholly with the Central Ward Labour councillors. I can see the logic, in one way, but that's a recipe for disaster where his own votes are concerned.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Ringer

« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2011, 09:18:57 AM »
That is your interpretation of the leaflet. Are you saying that The Conservatives are doing a good job putting through 21 million pounds of cuts in Swindon?

You can stand against Chris Watts and put your own leaflet out tomorrow, still time for you to stand for the tories.

To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2011, 09:24:57 AM »
That is your interpretation of the leaflet.

Yes, very true - it would be difficult for it not to be. However, if you've seen the leaflet, please explain how I've interpreted it incorrectly.

Are you saying that The Conservatives are doing a good job putting through 21 million pounds of cuts in Swindon?

I'm saying that 2/3 of Mr Watts latest leaflet does nothing but take swipes at other parties, one of which isn't even standing against him, apparently.

You can stand against Chris Watts and put your own leaflet out tomorrow, still time for you to stand for the tories.

I'd have thought you were too busy selling copies of the Morning Star to be formulating my campaign for me, but thanks for the advice.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Ringer

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2011, 10:27:27 AM »
I'd have thought you were too busy selling copies of the Morning Star to be formulating my campaign for me, but thanks for the advice.

:2funny: Those were the halcyon days!  Like all things today there is an online edition http://www.morningstaronline.co.uk/index.php

If you are struggling to get a printed copy here are the details
Circulation
If you are struggling to get hold of the Morning Star on a regular basis, help is at hand from the Morning Star's dedicated circulation team.

Bernie Keaveney - Circulation Manager
berniemorstar@aol.com

Tel: +44 (07780) 220-391

Ivan Beavis - Head of Campaigns
ivanbeavis@peoples-press.com

Tel: +44 (020) 8510-0815

By post

The Morning Star is available on postal subscription. The paper should arrive next day. The rates are as follows:
Britain including Northern Ireland Period Posted Daily  Posted Weekly   
Week  £8  1 week  £7 
Month £34  4 weeks  £27 
3 months £103  12 weeks  £83 
6 months £207  26 weeks  £177 
12 months  £413  52 weeks  £354 

Direct Debit for papers posted week is £24 per month

To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2011, 10:34:13 AM »

Trust me, I never struggle to get a copy. Mainly because I'd never try to get a copy.

Anyway, back on topic and to Mr Watts swipes at other parties - if you have seen the latest leaflet, please point out how I have interpreted it incorrectly.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2011, 10:43:30 AM »
Knowing Chris Watts I know he will do a great job if he is elected so put your cross against his name and give him a go - you can always retract in twelve months time if he does not meet expectation.

Errr, no...? Council elections aren't every 12 months for individual seats, are they? (genuine question from an ignorami)

My problem isn't Chris himself - its the party he's chosen to ally himself with. Even that I could ignore if as a ward councillor he'd distance himself from party policy and the shenanigans of the rest of the Labour crowd who are absolutely no better than the Tory old boy club (with a few notable exceptions on both sides). Unfortunately, his leaflet shows that he's chosen aligned himself with party politics. It won't win a majority in Eastcott.

Surely you know Tobes it is all out elections next year 2012 or don't the Liberals know that?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Ringer

« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2011, 10:46:04 AM »

Trust me, I never struggle to get a copy. Mainly because I'd never try to get a copy.

Anyway, back on topic and to Mr Watts swipes at other parties - if you have seen the latest leaflet, please point out how I have interpreted it incorrectly.

Which leaflet have you got?

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2011, 10:55:51 AM »
I don't think anyone is calling Mr Watts himself into question, I have no doubt you're entirely correct about him. However, he has aligned himself under the Labour banner, which means I, and many others, will feel unable to vote for him. It's a shame, really.

I don't know her, but I'm sure Nicky Sewell is a decent, honest lady who will work hard for the best interests of Eascott Ward. Having said that, the LibDems do need to up their game in Eastcott and deliver many of the things that, as it stands, they do tend to just talk about.

20 if you are correct that an elected Chris Watts will join a very small Labour representation what on earth are three Liberals going to achieve?  It is interesting that, presently, the dynamic threesome congregate in Eastcott.  You have to ask what they actually achieve for the ward, don't you?  Kingshill crossing has been discussed for years so why, when we have them where we do not need them here in Shaw and Nine Elms, has a very important one not been installed on Kingshill in Liberal dominated Eastcott?

And how long ago did the Tories meet in a phone box as their number amounted to four Councillors - how times change!

You never know if Labour do well they might just get their act together with all the new blood coming into play.  Anything would be better than what the people presently have to sustain in their name!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2011, 10:58:57 AM »
Then you didn't read the Lib/Dem leaflet I saw. To read it you would have thought Chris Watts was the only opposition the Lib/Dems were up against in the Borough. Not one mention of the Cons.

Maybe Spectre, for the first time the Liberals are actually worried about losing in Eastcott!

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2011, 11:22:59 AM »

It's dated 'March 2011' and the first item is entitled, 'Whalebridge Roundabout Redevelopment'. Naturally, that piece contains swipes at both the Tories and LibDems, mainly for not 'consulting with residents', which is odd, given that I've spoken to both the developer and councillors about it and was also asked to complete a response/feedback form. That's more consultation than anything else in the last 21 years I've lived in Eastcott Ward.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2011, 09:50:40 AM »

It's dated 'March 2011' and the first item is entitled, 'Whalebridge Roundabout Redevelopment'. Naturally, that piece contains swipes at both the Tories and LibDems, mainly for not 'consulting with residents', which is odd, given that I've spoken to both the developer and councillors about it and was also asked to complete a response/feedback form. That's more consultation than anything else in the last 21 years I've lived in Eastcott Ward.

That's interesting 20 perhaps you can use your influence to get the Whalebridge Roundabout nonsense cancelled then?

You know it makes sense!