Author Topic: Swindon Political Leaflets 2010  (Read 15170 times)

Offline Jarvis

Re: Swindon Political Leaflets 2010
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2011, 04:40:50 PM »
Ah, thanks.

I note they're still banging on about yellow lines being taken up - have any actually been removed yet? The one good idea SBC have ever had and, of course, nothing happens.

and you're still going to vote for them, even though they regularly tell lies in their leaflets, don't deliver what they promise and, just sometimes, deliberately mislead people into thinking their not councilors in order to influence them?

What don't you stand for Council yourself 20?, you've got enough opinions and never miss an opportunity to lecture the town on how dumb they are, and how much cleverer you are in comparison.

'20 Eyes for council!'

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2011, 06:47:01 PM »
Thank you for your eloquent and well considered responses Chris - much appreciated.

I have usually voted LibDem for my ward (though once I voted for Hughes of the Greens as he was the only one to bother door knocking to find out what I actually wanted as a resident!).

I have to say, I have become a little disillusioned with the Lib Dems. I had hoped to possibly stand as a Lib Dem for the ward at one stage  (and was indeed encouraged by party members to do so) - but not being part of the inner circle, it seems that whilst they were happy to use me in Focus and in several campaigns as an active resident, despite my interest, I was not considered (or even asked if I'd like to be considered) when Martin 'retired'. This means that Nicky Sewell, Dave Wood's partner, has been *selected* for the vacant slot. Make of that what you will. I hope she does a good job, as I guess her election would seem pretty much a foregone conclusion.

I'm not sure what this all means for the future and my political allegiances. I shall more than likely abstain from voting this year, as I don't really feel I'm being given a proper democratic choice: No conservative candidate and no core reason to vote for you Chris. Whilst I think Dave's actions are laudable enough, I'm not sure the Libs are dynamic enough of a force at council or media level to effect anything much - and I'm afraid I still feel personally disappointed not to have been given the chance to work for the ward. As to Labour, even if I had reason to vote for you on ward related issues rather than party policy ones, I'd refuse to risk giving certain total numpties within your party any further influence. Having witnessed them in action within the council chamber, no thanks!

I had thought to stand locally - but its a big step to do as an independent (my only moral option). If you had done so, I would most certainly have voted for you, and I suspect, so would plenty of other people. By signing up with Labour, you have made yourself totally unelectable in Eascott. That's a shame. People here tend to be better informed and read than other wards in town - consequently they are more sceptical of party politics, the polarised system it creates and the way in which it perverts and warps the democratic process.

Perhaps we should talk about collaboration next time round.
 :-\
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Ringer

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2011, 07:30:54 PM »
No Conservative candidate haha Robert Buckland MP will just demonstrate that he is nothing more than a proby if he puts up with that from the party. :popcorn:
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2011, 01:41:05 AM »
Whilst I think Dave's actions are laudable enough,

I think you'll soon have cause to re-evaluate whether Cllr Woods recent actions are laudable or not.

As to writing-off Chris Watts as unelectable in Eastcott I'd to tempted to wager a few pounds against that view  :)

Offline Ringer

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2011, 08:00:11 AM »
Is there a UKIP candidate in Eastcott? Will there be a green?   
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2011, 08:19:20 AM »
Absolutely agree with Tobes' post. Had Mr Watts stood as an independent, I'd have thought very carefully about voting for him. I'll still inevitably have to vote LibDem in the local election, but a serious independent candidate with a hope of keeping Labour out would certainly have got me hesitating.

As it stands, Mr Watts has made it impossible for me to even consider putting an X against his name.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2011, 09:17:02 AM »
As to writing-off Chris Watts as unelectable in Eastcott I'd to tempted to wager a few pounds against that view

My throat is dry! Call it three pints down The Hive, post election night.  :wink:

Chris has no platform. His leaflet offers no crunch issue to campaign on. All the residents I've spoken to think that the parking 'new thinking' is a recipe for a nightmare. He might be a nice guy, but hardly anyone knows who he is. Would he represent the real interests of the ward, or does his political allegiance show that he'd be a scion of Small? He'd need something to get his teeth into to get elected here or offer something really new. All that said - I like his attitude (as displayed here) and hope he has a fun election.

Whilst the LibDems will inevitably lose votes because of national issues, they've been very busy locally for the last six months. Wi-Fiasco is likely to win them as many votes as it might win for Chris - it would damage any tory candidate but not the libs.

I think you'll soon have cause to re-evaluate whether Cllr Woods recent actions are laudable or not.

You are such a tease! PM me - pretty please  :coolsmiley:

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2011, 09:55:45 AM »
I think you have to remember the reasons as to why Chris joined Labour.  It was the way in which he was treated by the Bluhligans over Wi-fi. 

We need to take the parties out of local politics and ask ourselves what the individual has to offer:

Will they work hard in the interests of the ward?

Will they vote against the grain if they disagree with their party?

Knowing Chris Watts I know he will do a great job if he is elected so put your cross against his name and give him a go - you can always retract in twelve months time if he does not meet expectation.

Or do you want more of the same in Eastcott?

If you really want how to know how ineffectual the Lib-Dems are in the Ward find out how long the local people have been campaigning for years for a traffic controlled crossing on Kingshill.  Now that very nice Councillor Pajak is very good about talking about it but delivery is another matter.

Having heard a lot about this recently on my Home Library run is it true that Greenhopper has categorically refused to consider it, even though he knows a blind lady walks all the way down the hill to the petrol station to the controlled crossing to walk all the way back to the other side of road?

Is this representation of the people Councillor Greenhalgh or callous indifference? 
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2011, 10:04:59 AM »
Given that the Labour group are a tiny minority on the local council, I really fail to see how Mr Watts could be any more effective than the LibDem councillors.

I am hugely frustrated that the LibDems haven't managed to get any (as far as I can tell) yellow lines removed in our ward, as it desperately needs to happen. However, I don't see any way that Mr Watts could achieve that either  :-\
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Nicola Hart

• Hello !
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2011, 10:38:31 AM »
I agree 100%  that Chris Watts would work hard for the best interests of Eascott ward.  He's a decent, honest man and totally deserves an X next to his name.

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2011, 10:45:05 AM »
I don't think anyone is calling Mr Watts himself into question, I have no doubt you're entirely correct about him. However, he has aligned himself under the Labour banner, which means I, and many others, will feel unable to vote for him. It's a shame, really.

I don't know her, but I'm sure Nicky Sewell is a decent, honest lady who will work hard for the best interests of Eascott Ward. Having said that, the LibDems do need to up their game in Eastcott and deliver many of the things that, as it stands, they do tend to just talk about.

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2011, 11:26:07 AM »
Knowing Chris Watts I know he will do a great job if he is elected so put your cross against his name and give him a go - you can always retract in twelve months time if he does not meet expectation.

Errr, no...? Council elections aren't every 12 months for individual seats, are they? (genuine question from an ignorami)

My problem isn't Chris himself - its the party he's chosen to ally himself with. Even that I could ignore if as a ward councillor he'd distance himself from party policy and the shenanigans of the rest of the Labour crowd who are absolutely no better than the Tory old boy club (with a few notable exceptions on both sides). Unfortunately, his leaflet shows that he's chosen aligned himself with party politics. It won't win a majority in Eastcott.

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2011, 11:30:18 AM »
Unfortunately, his leaflet shows that he's chosen aligned himself with party politics. It won't win a majority in Eastcott.

Agreed. That leaflet was poor, especially the horrendously loaded questions in the 'survey'. It all came across as tediously militant. In fact, the tone of it actually surprised me a little. It all seemed very 1970s. I think either Mr Watts, or Labour, have misjudged Eastcott Ward completely.

Offline DarkAuror

• Hello !
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2011, 11:32:40 AM »
Errr, no...? Council elections aren't every 12 months for individual seats, are they? (genuine question from an ignorami)

I was under the impression all seats are up for elections in 2012?

Offline Ringer

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2011, 01:28:49 PM »

I was under the impression all seats are up for elections in 2012?

I think you will find that the Boundary Commission have to report first.

Offline bobwright

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2011, 03:28:14 PM »
20 eyes - the removal of yellow lines came from cross party councillors. There was a programme to remove yellow lines but the Administration used the money elswhere. I did get some lines removed from Shrivenham Road but there are lot more that could be removed.

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2011, 03:41:17 PM »
20 eyes - the removal of yellow lines came from cross party councillors. There was a programme to remove yellow lines but the Administration used the money elswhere. I did get some lines removed from Shrivenham Road but there are lot more that could be removed.

Money can't be an excuse. I'd gladly pay for the black paint and go over the needless lines in my road myself, plus throw in a £100 donation to a charity of the council's choosing.

How's that for localism?

Well done to you for sorting Shrivenham Road, Bob. Good work.

Offline Des Moffatt

• Hello !
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2011, 03:53:14 PM »
We got rid of some in Rodbourne and there are more in our sights/sites in Ferndale. All that’s needed are Councillors who do things other than election leaflets slagging off the opposition.

Offline 20Eyes

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2011, 03:54:42 PM »
All that’s needed are Councillors who do things other than election leaflets slagging off the opposition.

That counts Chris Watts out then. Shame  :'(

Offline Spectre

• Hello !
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2011, 04:28:38 PM »
All that’s needed are Councillors who do things other than election leaflets slagging off the opposition.

That counts Chris Watts out then. Shame  :'(

Then you didn't read the Lib/Dem leaflet I saw. To read it you would have thought Chris Watts was the only opposition the Lib/Dems were up against in the Borough. Not one mention of the Cons.

Perhaps this is repayment to the Cons for not putting up a candidate in Eastcott.  :surrender: