Author Topic: "With Mallinson a fore-thought" - Half-Truths Exposed As Domiciliary Care Team Faces Axe  (Read 96421 times)

Offline Ringer

Was it a waste of everyone's time then last night?
You know it makes sense Ringer!

?? sorry Richard not with you, are you saying it was a waste of time last night or that the decision made sense or was it irony, please eleucidate for me.
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
At Thursdays special council a formal division, (recorded vote), was requested in accordance with Standing Order 14(2) regarding the axing of Swindon Borough Councils Domiciliary Home Care Team.

The division was recorded as follows:

Members voting for the motion:

Councillors Mike Bawden Conservative
Cllr Andrew Bennett  Conservative
Cllr Roderick Bluh  Conservative
Cllr Mick Bray  Conservative
Cllr Doreen Dart  Conservative
Cllr Michael Dickinson  Conservative
Cllr Ian Dobie  Conservative
Cllr Mark Edwards  Conservative
Cllr Paul Findlow  Conservative
Cllr Ray Fisher  Conservative
Cllr Fionuala Foley  Conservative
Cllr Brian Ford  Conservative
Cllr Peter Greenhalgh  Conservative
Cllr Dale Heenan  Conservative
Cllr Janet Heenan  Conservative
Cllr Russell Holland  Conservative
Cllr Richard Hurley  Conservative
Cllr Colin Lovell  Conservative
Cllr Peter Mallinson  Conservative
Cllr Mary Martin  Conservative
Cllr Nick Martin  Conservative
Cllr Brian Mattock  Conservative
Cllr Bill Morton  Conservative
Cllr Kevin Parry  Conservative
Cllr Anthony Peake  Conservative
Cllr Garry Perkins  Conservative
Cllr David Renard  Conservative
Cllr Eric Shaw  Conservative
Cllr Peter Stoddart  Conservative
Cllr Vera Tomlinson  Conservative
Cllr Keith Williams  Conservative

Members voting against the motion:

Cllr Junab Ali  Labour
Cllr John Ballman  Labour
Cllr Mark Dempsey  Labour
Cllr Jim Grant  Labour
Cllr Andy Harrison  Liberal Democrat
Cllr Jenny Millin  Labour
Cllr Des Moffatt  Labour
Cllr Derique Montaut  Labour
Cllr Stan Pajak  Liberal Democrat
Cllr Rochelle Russell  Labour
Cllr Kevin Small  Labour
Cllr Steve Wakefield  Labour
Cllr Martin Wiltshire*  Liberal Democrat
Cllr David Wood  Liberal Democrat
Cllr Bob Wright.  Labour

Councillors Ray Ballman (Deputy Mayor) and Rex Barnett (Mayor) abstained.

This was a significant cut which was engineered, driven through council as quickly as possible by the Conservative administration and supported solely by Conservative Councillors.

tell me more

note" if any one dare challenge Mallinson, Bluh, Perkins and co, on their tory views statements etc especially if home care worker, blonde, trade union rep,  and not of this region, but further more north than Chester.  With more bottle than any one with in the council .During the lobby got even Chelsea and manchester united fans to sing "walk on " then excuse me that girl should be the next vulnerable adult councillor, ESPECIALLY AS ONE OF THE MANY 64 BEING MADE REDUNDANT if the council dont take away her redundancy as punishment for truth.I truly  believe if you have knocked on doors and got 10500 people to sign a petition and hear the truth then you go girl.

Offline Jarvis

if the council dont take away her redundancy as punishment for truth.I truly  believe if you have knocked on doors and got 10500 people to sign a petition and hear the truth then you go girl.

Can they refuse to make a redundancy payment for speaking out ?

I know what I'd be doing every weekend in April, I would ask my work colleagues to help me knock on every door in Shaw & Nine Elms and Walcot to tell householders what Gary Perkins and Peter Mallinson have done. 

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
At Thursdays special council a formal division, (recorded vote), was requested in accordance with Standing Order 14(2) regarding the axing of Swindon Borough Councils Domiciliary Home Care Team.

The division was recorded as follows:

Members voting for the motion:

Councillors Mike Bawden Conservative
Cllr Andrew Bennett  Conservative
Cllr Roderick Bluh  Conservative
Cllr Mick Bray  Conservative
Cllr Doreen Dart  Conservative
Cllr Michael Dickinson  Conservative
Cllr Ian Dobie  Conservative
Cllr Mark Edwards  Conservative
Cllr Paul Findlow  Conservative
Cllr Ray Fisher  Conservative
Cllr Fionuala Foley  Conservative
Cllr Brian Ford  Conservative
Cllr Peter Greenhalgh  Conservative
Cllr Dale Heenan  Conservative
Cllr Janet Heenan  Conservative
Cllr Russell Holland  Conservative
Cllr Richard Hurley  Conservative
Cllr Colin Lovell  Conservative
Cllr Peter Mallinson  Conservative
Cllr Mary Martin  Conservative
Cllr Nick Martin  Conservative
Cllr Brian Mattock  Conservative
Cllr Bill Morton  Conservative
Cllr Kevin Parry  Conservative
Cllr Anthony Peake  Conservative
Cllr Garry Perkins  Conservative
Cllr David Renard  Conservative
Cllr Eric Shaw  Conservative
Cllr Peter Stoddart  Conservative
Cllr Vera Tomlinson  Conservative
Cllr Keith Williams  Conservative

Members voting against the motion:

Cllr Junab Ali  Labour
Cllr John Ballman  Labour
Cllr Mark Dempsey  Labour
Cllr Jim Grant  Labour
Cllr Andy Harrison  Liberal Democrat
Cllr Jenny Millin  Labour
Cllr Des Moffatt  Labour
Cllr Derique Montaut  Labour
Cllr Stan Pajak  Liberal Democrat
Cllr Rochelle Russell  Labour
Cllr Kevin Small  Labour
Cllr Steve Wakefield  Labour
Cllr Martin Wiltshire*  Liberal Democrat
Cllr David Wood  Liberal Democrat
Cllr Bob Wright.  Labour

Councillors Ray Ballman (Deputy Mayor) and Rex Barnett (Mayor) abstained.

This was a significant cut which was engineered, driven through council as quickly as possible by the Conservative administration and supported solely by Conservative Councillors.

and still not all the questioned have been aswered.

a few of Tories absented themselves from the meeting… I wonder why?

Councillors Andy Albinson, Mavis Childs, Sinead Darker, Melanie Duff, Peter Heaton-Jones, John Short, Glenn Smith and David Wren

Offline Richard Symonds

Was it a waste of everyone's time then last night?
You know it makes sense Ringer!

?? sorry Richard not with you, are you saying it was a waste of time last night or that the decision made sense or was it irony, please eleucidate for me.

I am saying it was a waste of time because it changed nothing and does not even seem to have highlighted it in the public perspective.

The Tories were well and trully whipped although I hear of privately expressed dissent.

As for the Labour Party where were the ranting Councillor Steve Allsopp and Councillor Faye Howard.  If this motion was that important why weren't you there, especially Steve Allsopp who completely lost it in front of me over the present Council's lack of care at a previous Council meeting.  Surely this has to be one of the most important debates of the year and attendence for dissent should have been compulsory - no excuses and I thought that Councillor Howard is up for election this year?

If the opposition parties handle this correctly it should anihilate the Tories in the elections.  Anyone prepared to wager with me that Councillor Mallinson's now guaranteed defeat will exceed that in number by the erstwhile Graham Cherry a couple of years ago?  Was it something like 590 odd?  Can't remember.

I think again if the Shaw and Nine Elms contest is handled properly you might just get an interesting result there as well, but the opponents to the Deputy Leader need to get a carefully formulated local to the ward leaflet out because this, to date, is not being discussed here, which is something he relies on - indifference the curse of Swindon and for that matter the country as a whole.  That is until it affects them personally and then the roof comes off.

Written from a firendly computer in Hertfordshire and a lot going on here, politically, as well.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Bobby Bingo

Councillor Faye Howard was recovering from an operation on her left foot.
Bobby

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
The Tories were well and trully whipped although I hear of privately expressed dissent.

w@nkers.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Richard Symonds

I still see this as being sufficiently important for her to attend if necessary in a wheelchair to show solidarity

and I see Paul Baker was missing as well!!

Obviously Labour is taking this seriously after all?

w@nkers.

That assuming they can remember how to Mart!
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Richard Symonds

Quote from the Advertiser article on Friday by Adam Kula:-

'And there was uproar when deputy leader Coun Garry Perkins (Con, Shaw and Nine Elms) hit back at Labour critics, saying: “We’re not scrapping homecare. It’s scaremongering, trying to get votes and get people to sign your petitions, not telling people the truth.” '

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8934505.Game_over_for_Swindon_Council_s_home_care_team/

Typical spital flecked rant by the deputy leader and Councillor Mallinson living at the other end of my estate to whom do I turn to to end this Tory duplicity? 

tell me more

Has one of the 4 new providers of the sacked home care workers contract put forward that they cannot supply staff till the 5/4/11 even though the in house team finish on the 31/3/11. oh dear can some one check this out as it is alleged the company begining with an "S" cant provide? please assure me this is incorrect ?

Offline Ringer

Has one of the 4 new providers of the sacked home care workers contract put forward that they cannot supply staff till the 5/4/11 even though the in house team finish on the 31/3/11. oh dear can some one check this out as it is alleged the company begining with an "S" cant provide? please assure me this is incorrect ?

Some are saying it will be a longer lead in period as companies need more staff. or maybe its just part of the plan?
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
That assuming they can remember how to Mart!

Or Mr Whippy gives them permission.

Been rubbing me crystal ball (handy for predicting rain as well).

It says that this swashbuckling piece of visionary governance will see plummeting satisfaction on the part of the recipients and quite astonishing increases in financial cost in real terms.

How the fiscal archictects of WiFi (other financial debacles are available) think they are equipped to sort this out escapes me, politics are toxic for most aspects of every day life you know.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Steve Wakefield

Mart

Can that ball predict 6 from 49? Or who will be leader of the Council in May 2012?
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
I still see this as being sufficiently important for her to attend if necessary in a wheelchair to show solidarity

and I see Paul Baker was missing as well!!

Now there’s a surprise….  :o

I understand that there besides the Tory amendment to the Labour motion that there was further amendment that called for a cross working party to investigate what was the truth out of all the conflicting evidence and supposition/anecdotal evidence put forward from Mallinson & Co and the Home Care providers. Of course Mallinson & Co would never want the truth to come out but what interests me more is the potential legal position.

These care workers have been selected for redundancy because the council has ended the contract with it’s own in house care department. The council in this case is both the contractor and the employer. IF the information on which the council it based it’s decision to end the in house contract, and thereby the employment of the home care workers, is found to have been based on known incorrect information (lies lies and more lies) would the home care workers have a case in tribunal for unfair dismissal?

Maybe someone with a greater knowledge of the law than me could let us have their view.

Offline Steve Wakefield

Bogo

I pointed this out on Thursday there is always legal advice and legal opinion, but that applies to all parties involved in seeking legal advice. The only place to test it is in a court. I asked some questions of the leader and if they could be answered in writing, only to be informed during the debate that at 5pm that evening information was now available to the Cabinet.

This is a strange way of conductng council business, I hope the information will be forthcoming for all councillors.

As with all legal advice and opinion, the best place to test it is in a court of law, the Judge will decide the outcome, I would never venture or second guess the law. I find it is best to leave that to the Judge, will this action be challenged in a court, remains to be seen.
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Richard Symonds

Look TMM they have thought of everything with indecent haste.

You know it makes sense!!

Offline Richard Symonds

and I only hope that no old people who do not have family or friends to check up on them do not fall out of bed trying to look after themselves because the 'care worker' hasn't turned up and has a result nearly die from the trauma.

Now that might have implications which would not be forseen.

Act in haste repent at leisure is a saying that comes to mind - I for one would not like to 'own' this responsibility and it will be interesting to see if the protagonists actually do 'care' if anything does go wrong. 

It will be a measure of them as human beings as well as politicians.

Offline napm

It was my right ankle!
I was one of the 7 sigantaures calling for the extra council meeting, hoping it would be pre-op. As it was I had the op on Tuesday and there was no way I could make Thursday's meeting. I love the idea of a wheelchair  :) If I could move about the house safely this may be a possibility but I am a fair while off this  :bash:  I have also been signed off my work as a nurse for 3 months, with bosses there aware I am a councillor I have been advised no work at GWH means no work anywhere. If I go against that I risk the sack, as a union rep I've seen that happen more than once.
I missed yesterdays march too and the two childrens services meetings next week which is just horrible. It does mean more time to keep up to date with this site and time to plan my campaign to save the NHS.   :)
I have arranged office work at the hospital which I can do still in plaster earlier than 3 months so I can get back into the Council and community again too, I'm keen to be out, there sitting still is really not me!
I care passionately about my work as a Councillor both for the people of Parks and for the work I do in the Council for the wider Swindon community, especially Children's services.  But what will be will be, I don't take anything for granted not votes & continued support and not my health.  This was an op I needed or it would continue to deteriorate, no timing is good. Months before I'm up for election may not have been my choosing but I'm very grateful to have had it done. Just hope it works now.
Hope to contribute more over the next few weeks  :)
Fay
Fay Howard    Rosa Parks 1913-2005 " The only tired I was, was tired of giving in."

Offline Richard Symonds

Thank you for your frank and honest reply Faye, I wish you a speedy recovery but hope you will now be able to take the time to become a regular contributor to this forum, it needs more input from your group, not least of all on this very important subject and its consequences.

A question remains though, where was your fellow ward Councillor Steve Allsopp, the shadow Lead Member for Adult Services or is it a conflict of interest to him to be there?  I hope that he and Councillor Paul Baker are not in a similar position to your own?