Author Topic: "With Mallinson a fore-thought" - Half-Truths Exposed As Domiciliary Care Team Faces Axe  (Read 91890 times)

robert feal-martinez

Specifically, the note says:

Quote from: CQC
Recruitment processes have much improved since the last inspection although with the large number of overseas staff recruited there must be clear records on file detailing their career history and experience .

Staff induction, supervision and support appear to be improving.

I wonder if, since the CQC no longer routinely inspect and assess, CleeveLink might have slipped backwards from the lofty heights of 2 stars and staff induction, supervision, support are no longer improving.  The record keeping on overseas staff history and experience may well be, for all we know, virtually non existant.

Without a rigorous inspection regime we're left somewhat in the dark and, when supposedly responsible and 'in the know' Cll'rs like Bluh and Mallinson make allegedly inaccurate statements about the quality of companies they have themselves commissioned to provide the domiciliary home care service to Swindon residents, it's bound to make people wonder if they simply don't have a clue, don't care, are trying to hide something or rush this through before any cogent scrutiny has taken place.

If Bluh thinks the Borough can afford to write off a £610,000 debt to his friends at the Highworth Recreation Centre, and forget about a £400,000 unpaid loan to his friend Rikki, then I'm sure we see our way to keeping the SBC domicilliary homecare team in post until this has been looked at properly by genuine experts.

I worry that this is being forced through too quickly by a spiteful Septuagenarian who thinks he's already lost his council seat and the clown who has piloted the Borough into a £63,000,000 debt because he want's to play 'Bluh the builder' at Wichelstowe.

This feels very shoddy to me.

I have heard these figures bandied about but is there a clear source for the debt burden.

Offline moley

• Hello !
In this case, aren't "overseas" staff actually "non-EU" staff (since EU staff are treated in a similar way to UK staff in employment law).

In which case the reason for the record keeping to make sure the people are actually allowed to work here?  (because an employer has an obligation to check this)

Moley

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
In this case, aren't "overseas" staff actually "non-EU" staff (since EU staff are treated in a similar way to UK staff in employment law).

In which case the reason for the record keeping to make sure the people are actually allowed to work here?  (because an employer has an obligation to check this)

Moley

Yes, but what concerns me more about potentially poor record keeping regarding any staff, (wherever they come from), is that their skill set and competency to practice is checked regularly, kept up to date and appropriate training/mentoring given where needed.  Since the CQC stopped doing proper inspections we have no way of knowing whether this happens, no transparency and no accountability but, as taxpayers, we are still funding the services that SBC 'commissions' from the private sector.  I can only hope that Rod Bluh's mate Rikki doesn't decide to branch out into the care environment.

I know the SBC Domiciliary Homecare team are well trained and have good skill sets, as are First City staff.  Not so sure about the other three firms.  I'm minded that Cllr Mallinsons preference for weighting tender processes firmly towards lowest bidders may not be the most sensible way to respond to a demand lead care service.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
I worry that this is being forced through too quickly by a spiteful Septuagenarian who thinks he's already lost his council seat and the clown who has piloted the Borough into a £63,000,000 debt because he want's to play 'Bluh the builder' at Wichelstowe.

I have heard these figures bandied about but is there a clear source for the debt burden.

Yes. Wichelstowe.  There is a note on the 2010/2011 SBC accounts detailing the liability.

robert feal-martinez

Moley

Yes, but what concerns me more about potentially poor record keeping regarding any staff, (wherever they come from), is that their skill set and competency to practice is checked regularly, kept up to date and appropriate training/mentoring given where needed.  Since the CQC stopped doing proper inspections we have no way of knowing whether this happens, no transparency and no accountability but, as taxpayers, we are still funding the services that SBC 'commissions' from the private sector.  I can only hope that Rod Bluh's mate Rikki doesn't decide to branch out into the care environment.

I know the SBC Domiciliary Homecare team are well trained and have good skill sets, as are First City staff.  Not so sure about the other three firms.  I'm minded that Cllr Mallinsons preference for weighting tender processes firmly towards lowest bidders may not be the most sensible way to respond to a demand lead care service.

Is that not part of the tendering process for LA's, admittedly SBC don't seem to care when it comes to SCS.

robert feal-martinez

Yes. Wichelstowe.  There is a note on the 2010/2011 SBC accounts detailing the liability.

http://ww5.swindon.gov.uk/moderngov/mgAi.aspx?ID=20637&J=1 If I am reading this correctly it seems to show an anticipated budget deficit of £80 mill+

Offline Des Moffatt

• Hello !
Correct RFM. They have moved from a net investor by £10 million to a net borrower of £53 million in just 2 years. A projected additional borrowing of £27 million over the next two years is anticipated. This is all capital and ultimately it has a revenue effect. Witchelstow accounts for £34 million of this at this time. Should the Tory government plans not deliver growth in the economy and a recovery of land prices, we are in deep do-do.
The Bluh daydreams do not appear to understand the effect of spending capital funds. They regularly dismiss £400K to WiFi, £350K for Tabernacle rubble as capital and not germane to the accounts. £3 million on computer stuff to support One Swindon gets the same casual treatment.
Swindon Tories have done exactly the same thing as the Labour government and for the same reason. Crucially the Brown Darling plan did have three elements cuts to public spending, growth in the economy and investment in infrastructure including green jobs. The Tory plan is cuts, cuts, and more cuts.

Offline Ringer

Correct RFM. They have moved from a net investor by £10 million to a net borrower of £53 million in just 2 years. A projected additional borrowing of £27 million over the next two years is anticipated. This is all capital and ultimately it has a revenue effect. Witchelstow accounts for £34 million of this at this time. Should the Tory government plans not deliver growth in the economy and a recovery of land prices, we are in deep do-do.
The Bluh daydreams do not appear to understand the effect of spending capital funds. They regularly dismiss £400K to WiFi, £350K for Tabernacle rubble as capital and not germane to the accounts. £3 million on computer stuff to support One Swindon gets the same casual treatment.
Swindon Tories have done exactly the same thing as the Labour government and for the same reason. Crucially the Brown Darling plan did have three elements cuts to public spending, growth in the economy and investment in infrastructure including green jobs. The Tory plan is cuts, cuts, and more cuts.

Is it true that when Nick Martin was in charge of the accounts the council was £10,000,000 pound in the black?
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Des Moffatt

• Hello !
Martin held the line against the dreamers until they sacked him

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
Crucially the Brown Darling plan did have three elements cuts to public spending, growth in the economy and investment in infrastructure including green jobs.

Two of those were impossible myths they knew they'd never have to deliver.

As you well know, Labour planned the same level of cuts at the Tories - but since they lost the election they've conveniently denied it. Green jobs, what a farce. Where are the legions of loft insulators promised by El Gordo back in 2008?

The government says its aim is to insulate every home in Britain by 2020

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7609036.stm

Of course, it was all drivel:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/2799757/Gordon-Browns-energy-package-unravels-over-insulation-numbers.html
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Green jobs, what a farce. Where are the legions of loft insulators promised by El Gordo back in 2008?

The government says its aim is to insulate every home in Britain by 2020

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7609036.stm

Of course, it was all drivel:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/2799757/Gordon-Browns-energy-package-unravels-over-insulation-numbers.html

Was it drivel?, we had our house insulated under that scheme and, seeing how energy costs have spiralled upwards, we were quite glad of it.  The scheme was demand led and therefore difficult to accurately forecast how many homes would be insulated until the owners/occupiers applied to take advantage of the offer.  Similarly, the industry recruits and trains fitters as needed, and as such the ability to supply would lag, (pun intended), behind supply.

Where they went wrong was in exaggerating the speed at which Warm Front could be delivered. This policy was not exempt from spin, but that doesn't mean that 'Warm Front', (I think it was called Warm Front), was a waste of time and money or that the intention was not worthwhile.

I hope the Conservative?Lib Dem government do something similar.

robert feal-martinez

Martin held the line against the dreamers until they sacked him

I understand he was 'sacked' for implying Rod was mentally ill. I also understand that he may well be making a reappearance in the cabinet, not sure though if that is connected with my sources saying Mr Perkins will be making a play for the leadership.

And that's assuming he gets re-elected something that is far from likely given his involvement with WiFi. I am told there are many, many disgruntled voters in S&NE's.

Offline 20Eyes

Was it drivel?, we had our house insulated under that scheme and, seeing how energy costs have spiralled upwards, we were quite glad of it.

Free money is free money, or, I suppose it's more of a tax-rebate, really.

That said, how many new insulators did the scheme create jobs for? My point wasn't that the scheme didn't exist, or that nobody saved any money on having their house insulated, it was about Brown going on about creating hundreds of thousands of 'green jobs'. It just didn't happen.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline bobwright

I pay £9.60 per month for 'Choose to refuse' advertising calls. Two types of calls always get through, the ones from Asia and the ones trying to get me to have my house insulated. The insulation calls are about twice a month and nearly always take the form of a survey or treating me as if I am ignorant about the scheme or the value of insulation. Many smack of rogue traders but when one of the pensioners in my ward sought to complete his partial insulation they didn't want to know.

robert feal-martinez

Was it drivel?, we had our house insulated under that scheme and, seeing how energy costs have spiralled upwards, we were quite glad of it.

Free money is free money, or, I suppose it's more of a tax-rebate, really.

That said, how many new insulators did the scheme create jobs for? My point wasn't that the scheme didn't exist, or that nobody saved any money on having their house insulated, it was about Brown going on about creating hundreds of thousands of 'green jobs'. It just didn't happen.

I certainly agree with your last point I read at the time there would be a minimum time lag from acceptance to completion of a year for the points you raise.

Offline Richard Symonds

Unfortunately due to it being my sixtieth birthday I was out of town last night and therefore was unable to attend the 'special' council meeting to discuss Adult Care.  What happened?

Any change of heart?

Any clarification of exactly how these changes will ensure that the elderly still get the care they have been getting from our own carers?

Did Councillor Mallinson manage to explain how he could deliver realistic savings with the whole of the management team still in place and Care Workers replaced by Private Contractors whose staff earn the same money?

What steps does Councillor Mallinson, assuming he is still a Councillor in May, intend to adopt to ensure that the Management Team operate more efficiently than they managed with their own staff and over whom they had control?

Is Councillor Mallinson falling on his sword to assist Rod Bluh by delivering these cuts knowing he will be dumped by the people of Walcot for following policies that affect them as they cannot afford the private sector?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline 20Eyes

I certainly agree with your last point I read at the time there would be a minimum time lag from acceptance to completion of a year for the points you raise.

Environment: green jobs to rise to a million by 2017

PM highlights carbon capture demonstration plants and commitment to build 1,000 wind turbines

Among the many jobs proposed in Gordon Brown's statement today, 400,000 will have a green tinge by 2017

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/jun/29/green-jobs-brown

And that was after the worst of the financial crisis.

It was all utter bollocks.

Offline Ringer

Unfortunately due to it being my sixtieth birthday I was out of town last night and therefore was unable to attend the 'special' council meeting to discuss Adult Care.  What happened?

Any change of heart?

Any clarification of exactly how these changes will ensure that the elderly still get the care they have been getting from our own carers?

Did Councillor Mallinson manage to explain how he could deliver realistic savings with the whole of the management team still in place and Care Workers replaced by Private Contractors whose staff earn the same money?

What steps does Councillor Mallinson, assuming he is still a Councillor in May, intend to adopt to ensure that the Management Team operate more efficiently than they managed with their own staff and over whom they had control?

Is Councillor Mallinson falling on his sword to assist Rod Bluh by delivering these cuts knowing he will be dumped by the people of Walcot for following policies that affect them as they cannot afford the private sector?

The service will cease and redundancies are happening, what more is there to say  :(
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Richard Symonds

Any change of heart?

The service will cease and redundancies are happening, what more is there to say  :(

Was it a waste of everyone's time then last night?

You know it makes sense Ringer!

All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Ringer

Anyone paying £9.60 a month to resfuse calls then still pays the £9.60, even calls get through from Asia and Insulating Firms sounds so :2funny: I pay nothing for my own refusal service,  I firmly say No Thank You!