Author Topic: "With Mallinson a fore-thought" - Half-Truths Exposed As Domiciliary Care Team Faces Axe  (Read 104718 times)

Offline Ringer

There was an article in the adver yesterday on the Home Care  finishing on 31st March. I am sure lots of people would have hoped thatw as an April Fools Joke sadly it was not and now it is gone, anyone able to scan it in? It maybe online, but I could not find it.
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Richard Symonds

Ringer did I hear that on their last day the Home Care Team were scurrying around trying to cover for a significant failure to provide that service from one of the private contractors? 

What happens, now that they have gone and will, no longer, be able to step into the breach and cover such situations?

Is it possible that due to any future failure from these contractors that some of the elderly may be left in bed, unfed, in their own mess and at significant risk as they attempt to attend to themselves.

How long will it be before there is a significant incident?

Tory Care, You Know it Makes Sense.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?

Not long enough. There will be an enquiry, there will be admissions of significant failings that are being addressed, there will be statements of improved obscure measures that count for sweet feck all and somewhere someone's parent will have died a miserable death.

Still, long as it comes in on target and the mineral water continues to flow.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Richard Symonds

Not long enough. There will be an enquiry, there will be admissions of significant failings that are being addressed, there will be statements of improved obscure measures that count for sweet feck all and somewhere someone's parent will have died a miserable death.

Still, long as it comes in on target and the mineral water continues to flow.

You cynic Mart.

I believe that there will be serious trouble if this were to happen and the start of serious Government intervention. 

Can you see the headlines?

Tory Government Intervenes in Serious Care for the Elderly Failures in Tory Lead Swindon Borough Council

It could happen and I would not want to be Councillor Peter Mallinson in those circumstances, whether he survives the elections or not.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
He probably thinks he is decisive, chisel jawed, hard nosed and pragmatic. The voice of reason, stiff legged on the quaterdeck, a focal point deserving of admiration in a storm of ill informed hysteria.

I beg to differ. There are areas of expenditure more deserving of rationalisation.

His criteria for success differ significantly from the recipients of the service. No service at all would satisfy at least one of his measures of success.

The shapers of a service often appear to be those least likely to require it to my untutored eye.

Pass the Evian. Slice of lime would be nice.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Richard Symonds

I was told that at the Special meeting of the Council on March 24th poor Councillor Mallinson's face was as white as his hair.

What does that tell you?

What intrigues me is how you can save money by sacking the staff that do the work and retain the management structure in its entirety?

and what Legal Safeguards exist for the delivery of this now privatised service and what Penalties exists if the Contractors Fail?

The Devil is always in the Detail.

Act in Haste and Repent at Leisure

Offline Muggins

"He probably thinks he is decisive, chisel jawed, hard nosed and pragmatic. The voice of reason, stiff legged on the quaterdeck, a focal point deserving of admiration in a storm of ill informed hysteria.

I beg to differ. There are areas of expenditure more deserving of rationalisation"

Like switch the speed cameras back on...........interesting data from the shut down. 
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Richard Beale

• Hello !
What intrigues me is how you can save money by sacking the staff that do the work and retain the management structure in its entirety?

Well there you have it, although Cllr Bluh often says he has cut management cost by (30%?) How many have actually gone in the recent round of cuts?

Still you have to retain the managers to sack the functionary's , then you can get their directors to sack them.

All the while the highest paid and least productive staff are sacked last.

British public service management, Best in world.....

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse

Re: Peter Mallinson

He probably thinks he is decisive, chisel jawed, hard nosed and pragmatic. The voice of reason, stiff legged on the quaterdeck, a focal point deserving of admiration in a storm of ill informed hysteria.

I expect he does, but I think he's a nasty, unreasonable, untrustworthy old bastard who would sell his granny for glue.

Offline Richard Symonds

The Lead Member for Adult Care has written in today's Adver!

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/yoursay/swindonletters/8941954.Letter_from_Coun_Peter_Mallinson/

Letter from Coun Peter Mallinson
10:40am Monday 4th April 2011

IN his recent letter Martin Wicks says that I insult the council care workers by saying they are too expensive. Well I am sorry Mr Wicks, but they are.

Their union agree that there are 64 workers involved, producing 450 car hours a week and they put the blame on the management for this. If you do a quick calculation you will see that each worker averages seven hours per week, that is one hour 24 minutes per day.

There are full time and part time staff involved so the actual figure per employee may vary slightly but the total is still only 450 hours per week.

We pay £1.3m for this service and then have to pay private providers again for the hours not covered, these are 1,350 hours at £15 per hour, per week.

So don’t lecture me Mr Wicks about costs, the union agreed with the figures but blame the council.

Where else can you get paid a full week’s pay for only doing, on average, one hour 24 minutes a day?

COUN PETER MALLINSON Walcot

Well, of course, the care workers are responsible for the inefficiency of their operation aren't they?  Don't be so utterly silly Peter of course they are not.  It is the way they are managed which should be the issue because they cannot possibly take that responsibility.  It is rather like blaming the stokers on the Titanic for running into the iceberg, but then this is the crazy way in which this administration thinks isn't it?  Or is it a redefinition of the word INNOVATIVE?

What is the good Councillor doing about the costly and ineffective management team in Adult Care?  Absolutely nothing as I understand it and they carry on as though they bear no responsibility whatsoever.  And how much consultation with your workforce did you undertake when you considered this matter in your indecent haste to act purely on political dogma, without any apparent consideration for the consequences?.

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
You make a good point; whoever has been allowing these public employees to draw a full wage for an average of 1.5 hours' work per day should be sacked immediately. Surely even a part-time employee would be expected to do more than that?

Although, one question remains... what on earth are these people doing for the other 6 hours per day?  ???
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Ringer

20 was posting as you were you have expressed some of my sentiments on the subject ;)
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Richard Symonds

You make a good point; whoever has been allowing these public employees to draw a full wage for an average of 1.5 hours' work per day should be sacked immediately. Surely even a part-time employee would be expected to do more than that?

Although, one question remains... what on earth are these people doing for the other 6 hours per day?  ???

and 20 what were management doing about it?

But now that is put outside to the Private Sector doesn't this mean less work for Management as well, so where are the redundancies amongst their number?

This Council is becoming so top heavy with Management and their associated costs it will soon keel over.

Come on You Know it Makes Sense!

Offline 20Eyes

and 20 what were management doing about it?

It's hard to know what on earth they were doing, but I think the blanks should be filled in here. Is it any wonder that people in the private sector get annoyed at paying wages and pensions for people who only actually put in 84 minutes work per day?

It beggars belief that so-called 'management' can allow this to happen.

But now that is put outside to the Private Sector doesn't this mean less work for Management as well, so where are the redundancies amongst their number?

By the sounds of it, they're going to need even more managers. It's going to be a shock to have to manage staff who are actually there for more than a couple of cups of coffee per day.

Come on You Know it Makes Sense!

Working 1.5 hours a day for a full wage packet does make a hell of a lot of sense. Nice work, if you can get it.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline A Mole

• Hello !
Don't be lulled by Tory spin.  Ofcourse these staff work a full day.  Mallinson is talking about productive v non-productive working time.  Non-productive working time includes entering data into data entry systems and spreadsheets, team meetings, one-to-one meetings with line manager, appraisals, time sheets, attending training, reading countless emails from idiots like Mallinson, attending Gavin Jones's propaganda presentations etc etc. 

That is not the fault of the worker, that is the fault of the management for not removing all the non-productive crap and allowing those staff to concentrate their time on what they're actually paid to do and what they're good at.

Cllr Mallinson, you should hang your head in shame for misleading the public.  You're either incompetent or a gutless liar.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Cllr Mallinson, you should hang your head in shame for misleading the public.  You're either incompetent or a gutless liar.

Possibly both.

At this stage of his game the only number that Peter Mallinson is really bothered about is 45.

Offline Ringer

Has Cllr Mallinson committed political suicide as some Divine Wind Blows through the Tory council, whilst the Tory Led Government keeps bottling it? . The Social Enterprise is a Tory Trojan Horse, it will last 3 years then it will have to re tender for its services and don't be surprised if up will pop a new arm of Capita an established public services Strategic Partner. Don't be fooled after Lansley U Turn yesterday I beleive that  the Social Enterprise is a Whistle Stop Cafe on the way to full on gung ho, blue mist of  hot & hard privatisation care.

This Tory Lead Liberal supported coalition, will sacrifice  a lot more political careers on the alter of public sector is bad as it stokes up the bonfire of Cameron's and Clegg's vanities.

Offline Richard Symonds

Possibly both.

At this stage of his game the only number that Peter Mallinson is really bothered about is 45.

I must confess to being Councillor Mallinson's counting agent at the last election and up until the postals were counted he had lost to Neil Heavens by three votes.

Now I hope that Neil has learnt his lesson from that experience because the good people of Walcot thought Anne Snelgrove was the candidate his profile was so low.  Had he put himself about more we would never be talking about these cuts!!

Offline 20Eyes

Labour will win in Walcot this time, it's nailed on.

Offline Martin Wicks

• Personal Website
"You make a good point; whoever has been allowing these public employees to draw a full wage for an average of 1.5 hours' work per day should be sacked immediately. Surely even a part-time employee would be expected to do more than that?

Although, one question remains... what on earth are these people doing for the other 6 hours per day?  ???"

It's more complicated than this. In the first place 12 of the 64 did not do the work (6 supervisors, 5 admin, one manager). Of the 52 that did the home visits only 3 were full-time, the rest doing contracts of 15, 22.5 or 30 hours.

A key question is this: why were the Council staff who dish out the work not giving the Council's Home care workers the work for which they were contracted to do? They were either deliberately running down the service or negligent beyond belief. Who was in charge of these 'commissioners'? Who had political responsibility? Whose job was it to make sure the contract was being fulfilled? Answers on a post card please....

There are other questions which I'll take up later but I've got to go and pay a small fortune to a dentist.