Author Topic: 10 Census Lies  (Read 5080 times)

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
Re: 10 Census Lies
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2011, 10:03:14 AM »
I HATE LABOUR FOR 13 YEARS OF ILLIBERAL, ILLOGICAL, HYPOCRITICAL AND NEAR FACIST MEDDLINGS WITH THE CORE INSTITUTIONS AND CULTURAL VALUES WHICH USED TO GIVE ME A MEASURE OF PRIDE FOR BEING BRITISH.

A+
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Tobes

• Regents
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2011, 12:15:56 AM »
Des - my rant was supposed to be humorous too (be it in a frustrated and sarky way!)

... oh, and befiore anyone says anything 'oooer' about that statment, thats frustrated in as much as I'm frustrated with certain personalities overt partisanship, rather than my inability to discuss human rights in an intimate setting with Ms Chakrabati...  :wink:
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it - [attributed to] Voltaire... 'Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessita' - William of Occam.... 'You have a right to feel offended, but just cos you are offended doesn't mean you are right'

Offline Margie

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2011, 02:04:55 PM »
Hmmm - I've been checking their website and much of the information there would seem to be out of date. Wikipedia is a bit more useful. A cooler head after the beer of last night means I'm less likely to shred my No2id t-shirt, but its still more than a bit disappointing to see the way the organisation seems to be heading. I personally started to lose faith with them when they tried to discourage local groups from making ID cards an election issue. Ho hum.

Margie - what's your feeling on their direction and strategy going forwards?

Sorry, Tobes, this is very belated.  I don't have any reason to believe that the people involved in keeping NO2ID going are not sincere.  After the experiences with the ID database it's not surprising that many feel edgy and are looking for signs of the database state popping up all over the place.  I know I do - a British Gas man on the phone to me this morning was very, very careful about not pushing me even to confirm my address because sensitivity is so high (a good knock-on effect).  And there is still the issue of the NHS database, isn't there? - I don't feel very in touch.  And I share the fear that we could become complacent about personal data collection because of the end of the ID project. 

But I think in the case of the census the language they have used is excessive.  I'm not bothered about providing the information it requires, but I do want any data I provide to anybody at all to be guarded carefully.  I've never actually been a formal member of NO2ID in the sense of paying subs (cheapskate old bag) but I've always wanted to broadcast the relevant information as widely as possible.  Interestingly, since the census email I posted, there has been nothing else.

I guess that like us a lot of people have dropped away from the organisation because the original aim was achieved and those who are left are not sure how to proceed.  If anything else interesting gets sent out I'll post it to see what everyone thinks.  Case-by-case basis, I reckon, and I feel no loyalty to the organisation beyond the original purpose, which it helped to fulful really well.

Final note - I had to renew my passport this past month and it felt like a triumph to do that without getting an ID card - though it does obviously have the biometric symbol on it now.