Author Topic: Perseid Meteor Showers: This Saturday and Sunday Nights  (Read 1123 times)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Perseid Meteor Showers: This Saturday and Sunday Nights
« on: August 11, 2006, 11:47:01 PM »
This weekends meteor showers  :popcorn:

For the stargazers amongst you......

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2006/07aug_perseids.htm?list72745

Watch before the moon rises...after she's up, you'll only see the really big chunks burning up.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Re: Perseid Meteor Showers: This Saturday and Sunday Nights
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2006, 12:26:29 PM »
I think I saw a couple of meteors last night...although it was difficult to tell becuase of a high mist/cloud.

I live in hope of seeing an 'Earthgrazer', (very likely with the Perseid showers), which pass through the outer atmosphere for several loooooong seconds leaving a huge incandescant trail behind them before passing back out into space again.

Where to look tonight ?

Find a fairly dark place to sit facing roughly Northeast...... (towards Newcastle upon Tyne).

Just above the horizon, in this general direction, meterors will seem to come out of the constellation 'Perseus'.

Alternative-exp: From Polaris*, follow a roughly 45 degree path towards the horizon on it's right side. Polaris is also known as the 'Pole Star' and 'the Yanks call it the 'North Star'.

The Nasa website also offers:

Looking for Earthgrazers is simple: Spread a blanket on the ground, lie down and look up. A reclining lawn chair facing north works just as well. Perseid Earthgrazers streak overhead, flying generally north to south.

The full moon is pain, but it's still worth spending some time looking for Perseids in the couple of dark hours befor the moon rises....

....I remain hopeful of seing an Earth-Grazer at some point.  8)

* Polaris = The Pole Star

To find Polaris:  First find 'The Plough', (Ursa Major). Draw an imaginary line from the bottom-right star of the Plough, through the top-right right star, (Dubhe), with your arm outstretched, and with finger pointed, follow the imaginary line upwards, and to the right, until your finger will has travelled about 12 inches.  If I've explained this well enough you should now be pointing at Polaris  O0

« Last Edit: August 12, 2006, 12:37:06 PM by Geoff Reid »

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2006, 08:19:57 PM »

Cloudy..... :(

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2006, 09:47:54 AM »

It continued to be cloudy....and I didn't see a damn thing  :'(

At least the Yanks in Harrisburg enjoyed a good show.  :)

Despite the bright moonlight and partly cloudy conditions, I saw 6 Perseids in a half hour's time on Saturday morning.

On Saturday night, several ASH members met at the Naylor Observatory to observe Perseid earthgrazing meteors during the time between nightfall and moorise. One of us, a professional airline pilot, saw 12 earthgrazers. I caught 9 of them. Three were fairly faint, second or third magnitude, but the rest were all respectably bright, magnitude one to negative one, and sported momentary trains. Most of them were fairly fast.

Dave Mitsky

I'm not consumed with jealousy or mottled green with envy  :-X