Author Topic: Jan 31st 2011 - Cllr Perkins WiFi'asco Announcement Delayed Again  (Read 35938 times)

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
Re: Jan 31st 2011 - Cllr Perkins WiFi'asco Announcement Delayed Again
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2011, 11:14:45 AM »
"not a penny lost to the council"

He's probably dead right 'A' penny won't be lost to the council - it will be more like 400,000,000.

So no arguing with that statment which ever way you read it.

;D

Although, sadly, you're technically absolutely correct.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2011, 12:39:44 PM »
With regard to the 'incoming investor' at Cabinet on 19 January Coun Perkins responded to a written question by declaring "There will be no additional public money leantnor is the project seeking new investors.

When I asked him how that squared with the Adver headline stating the exact opposite, he said that "DC was not looking for new investors becasue they had found them"

So impressed was I that I wrote to him on 20 January expressing my delight that he had secured this new funding. 

He had previously replied by email  on 19 January when he told me that 'The Loan is not due for repayment until the end of the year, but it will be paid in the near future to allow the project to move forward' he then went on to confirm 'the fcat that investment is coming to Digital City to allow this project to move forward'

All crystal clear and unambiguous to me, looking forward to him putting flesh on the bones tonight.

Offline James

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2011, 12:53:14 PM »
I'm fascinated to find out who the new investor is, and what their track record in IT is.
I certainly wouldn't want anyone who did not have a lot of experience in the field to try.

I'd also love to know how much discretionary spending the council has out of the £70m...

The list of errors/omissions that Chris identified is a worry too. Will the people who made them be involved in the next big thing make the same mistakes...

Offline Ringer

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2011, 02:21:33 PM »
With regard to the 'incoming investor' at Cabinet on 19 January Coun Perkins responded to a written question by declaring "There will be no additional public money leantnor is the project seeking new investors.

All crystal clear and unambiguous to me, looking forward to him putting flesh on the bones tonight.

Talking of flesh on bones is that your cryptic speak for is there going to be fattening of a sacraficial lamb to the before slaughter ??
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Muggins

« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2011, 04:21:38 PM »
Didn't Perkins say that SCS would be a contender for partnership?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2011, 07:09:16 PM »
If we really want to get technical, interest repayments on loans are not money 'lost' if they're not paid - because the money was never 'had' in the first place..

The loan was for £400,000 repayable after 24 months with 3% interest being due each month.

If no further interest payments are made the sum due at term will be £400,000 plus accrued interest - appprox £420,000

The interest generated is real when paid on time and equally real in accounting and debt-recovery terms when it is not paid on time, or not paid at all.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 09:41:00 PM by Geoff Reid »

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2011, 08:07:21 PM »
Should I keep watching Dragon's Den?
Who do you think will perform the pitch? :angel:
Proud to be gone

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2011, 08:48:11 PM »

Mmm, that's what worries me, something morally reprehensible but within the rules.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2011, 09:16:26 PM »

Mmm, that's what worries me, something morally reprehensible but within the rules.

It might be worse than that. How would you feel about SBC becoming the majority shareholder of Digital City (UK) Ltd ? - I.e, the council turned out to be the mystery invester Hosni-P has been babbling about?

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2011, 11:12:45 PM »
Duncan, Deborah, Pete, Theo, and James all said no then?
How much of my council tax will they steal invest on this dead duck for our benefit now
Proud to be gone

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #70 on: February 08, 2011, 08:19:35 AM »
At Scrutiny meeting last night Mr John Hunt (Rikki) CEO of Digital City made 2 things clear, DC has not paid the three interest payments due, and they will be paid when the investor deal has been completed.

Mr John Hunt (Rikki) CEO of Digital City offered to gift his shares in DC to SBC, to mitigate any dilution of the value of SBC share, he was also asking the other shareholders if they would consider gifting their shares to SBC.

There was more/numerous admission/confirmations of stalling and freezing of the project.
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #71 on: February 08, 2011, 08:33:13 AM »
He's just been on the radio,  I heard the bit about gifting his shares to SBC.  Surely the shares are at present worthless, so in effect he's giving over nothing?

He was also asked would he still be with DC and he said yes, then asked would that be as CEO, he said yes, and he would be happy so to be.

Ummm, isn't there something even more weird about that than has happened thus far?

He says the project is recognised 'all over the place' as being inventive, exciting, creative etc. etc. if that's so, why has it stalled?

Either he's daft or I'm daft!
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2011, 08:44:48 AM »
Muggins

Was anything mentioned of the Bathgate bid? Only last night there were not only *allegations but much was made of UWOs unidentified Wi-fi Objectors whose voices  mysteriously contacted  Bathgate and somehow affected the outcome of the project in that Town, I did question that assertion. I know that this may appear I am making light of this Captain Scarlet episode, but it had no relevance to the progress of the Swindon Wifi Digital City project roll out. It was a distraction last night and as so much was being made of it. In my opinion it could have been one of the distratcions that stalled the progress of the rollout.

*IMO. At more than one point during the meeting Cllr Perkins held a piece of paper Chamberlain politician like in the air waving it at/in direction of wi-fi questioners/detractors.
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

Offline Muggins

« Reply #73 on: February 08, 2011, 08:59:46 AM »
Not as far as I heard, to be fair, I wasn't concentrating on the radio and I don't recognise Rikki's voice, and didn't hear him being introduced, so I didn't hear the whole piece.  If I had, and was prepared I would have tried typing verbatim.   

But I know what you mean, there does seem to be a lot of losing focus lately at a lot of meetings, probably to deflect the real issue.

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2011, 09:06:13 AM »
But I know what you mean, there does seem to be a lot of losing focus lately at a lot of meetings, probably to deflect the real issue.

I think that the Chair Cllr Kevin Small kept the meeting on track and kept it flowing, he did not allow the meeting to stall or freeze and Cllr Bob Wright was advised not once, but three times to address his questions to the chair. I was not disappointed by the meeting lat night I learned much from it. I reflected on the meeting last night and I am reflecting on it this morning, maybe others present are also in a mood of reflection? I am now awaiting the outcome of the deep under cover negotiations with the secret millionaire investor(s) that was referred to teasingly during last night's meeting several times and the timeline of which was questioned by several councillors.

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2011, 09:08:56 AM »
Muggins

Was anything mentioned of the Bathgate bid? Only last night there were not only *allegations but much was made of UWOs unidentified Wi-fi Objectors whose voices  mysteriously contacted  Bathgate and somehow affected the outcome of the project in that Town, I did question that assertion. I know that this may appear I am making light of this Captain Scarlet episode, but it had no relevance to the progress of the Swindon Wifi Digital City project roll out. It was a distraction last night and as so much was being made of it. In my opinion it could have been one of the distratcions that stalled the progress of the rollout.

*IMO. At more than one point during the meeting Cllr Perkins held a piece of paper Chamberlain style in the air and waved it at/in direction of the wi-fi detractors/questioners.
Yes, that is very curious. It would seem that a single well aimed email at Bathgate Council will derail any possible tender that they may be looking into. It is a bit concerning for the people of Bathgate if their council is so easily moved. Is it not against EU procurement laws that they would reject a bid on such a flimsy premise? Could DC arguably take legal action against Bathgate Council to recover costs?

I was also surprised that Cllr Perkins read out emails from Bathgate stating how excited they were about the project, and how well they were working together. He then went on to state that it could only have been external forces that derailed the project, as there is no other reason why a council would back out of the deal at the eleventh hour.

I suggest Cllr Perkins look a little closer to home a more plausible reason. Is it not the case that the SBC were in lengthy negotiations with street traders to build kiosks in 2009 and at the eleventh hour they pulled out in very much the same way, leaving the street trader high and dry, BECAUSE THEY DID NOT HAVE THE FUNDS TO PROGRESS.
Small Print: Member of the Labour Party. GMB Accompanying Rep. IT consultant on sabatical.  Postings may contain political bias. If you have an adverse reaction please desist from reading. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline Outoftowner

• Hello !
« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2011, 09:11:48 AM »
So does it look like the real reason for the project stalling was that Bathgate dropped out, thus removing the first level of the pyramid? (i.e. Bathgate, rudely, did not pay up, so that SBC's equipment could not be bought and the interest could not be paid.)

I thought that Rikki had lived for a while in Scotland. He obviously hasn't heard of the Scot's famed prudence with the contents of their sporrans. The Scots also have acces to the internet and could easily look up what is going on in Swindon by googling and finding sites like.............TS.
What's it all about?

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2011, 09:13:55 AM »
Muggins

*IMO. At more than one point during the meeting Cllr Perkins held a piece of paper Chamberlain style in the air and waved it at/in direction of the wi-fi detractors/questioners.
Yes, that is very curious. It would seem that a single well aimed email at Bathgate Council will derail any possible tender that they may be looking into. It is a bit concerning for the people of Bathgate if their council is so easily moved. Is it not against EU procurement laws that they would reject a bid on such a flimsy premise? Could DC arguably take legal action against Bathgate Council to recover costs?

I was also surprised that Cllr Perkins read out emails from Bathgate stating how excited they were about the project, and how well they were working together. He then went on to state that it could only have been external forces that derailed the project, as there is no other reason why a council would back out of the deal at the eleventh hour.

I suggest Cllr Perkins look a little closer to home a more plausible reason. Is it not the case that the SBC were in lengthy negotiations with street traders to build kiosks in 2009 and at the eleventh hour pulled out, leaving the street trader high and dry, BECAUSE THEY DID NOT HAVE THE FUNDS TO PROGRESS.

Very Curious? Are you referring to that particular bit of the project DC business or the progress/rollout of the whole Swindon project?

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2011, 09:18:03 AM »
Just that bit of the business. To me they seemed to be suggesting that it was the fulcrum to the ongoing business plan as they had been knocked back on all the other tenders.
Small Print: Member of the Labour Party. GMB Accompanying Rep. IT consultant on sabatical.  Postings may contain political bias. If you have an adverse reaction please desist from reading. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2011, 09:36:08 AM »
Was the first duty of Digital City and project due diligence not to other council's etc but to rolling out wi-fi across Swindon as per their business plan business case?