Author Topic: Jan 31st 2011 - Cllr Perkins WiFi'asco Announcement Delayed Again  (Read 35868 times)

Offline Muggins

Re: Jan 31st 2011 - Cllr Perkins WiFi'asco Announcement Delayed Again
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2011, 05:10:34 PM »
Crikey, it's like we are living in some parallel virtual world. 

Do you think maybe, that if '30 people were already employed' they might just be with a contractor rather than Digital City?
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2011, 05:36:10 PM »

I have just one question today:

Q: Is it illegal for a company to continue trading while insolvent?

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2011, 05:54:48 PM »
1.  Will it now be recognised that the WI-Fi project as originally conceived and set out in the press release of 17 November 200 has been a commercial failure?   

What worries me is that Coun Bluh and his cohoarts simply do not get it. To the man in the street failure is easy to measure. In the case of this project a statement which says 'projections for sales revenue and network coverage have not been met' is not failure. I can only wonder if Coun Bluh's accountancy education was ever completed?

What if Digital City was a football club, that needs to attract 7000 supporters to home games to be commercially viable? But instead it has an average gate of 20, loses every game and finds itself in a position that it can not service its debts and is about to be wound up unless it can be rescued.

If an investor is then found that supplies a financial rescue package, injects a wad of cash and takes the club forward, would the previous management be seen as the all conquering saviours?

Small Print: Member of the Labour Party. GMB Accompanying Rep. IT consultant on sabatical.  Postings may contain political bias. If you have an adverse reaction please desist from reading. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline Spectre

• Hello !
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2011, 06:06:14 PM »
1.  Will it now be recognised that the WI-Fi project as originally conceived and set out in the press release of 17 November 200 has been a commercial failure?   

What worries me is that Coun Bluh and his cohoarts simply do not get it. To the man in the street failure is easy to measure. In the case of this project a statement which says 'projections for sales revenue and network coverage have not been met' is not failure. I can only wonder if Coun Bluh's accountancy education was ever completed?

What if Digital City was a football club, that needs to attract 7000 supporters to home games to be commercially viable? But instead it has an average gate of 20, loses every game and finds itself in a position that it can not service its debts and is about to be wound up unless it can be rescued.

If an investor is then found that supplies a financial rescue package, injects a wad of cash and takes the club forward, would the previous management be seen as the all conquering saviours?

Is there a link here between Swindon Town FC and Digital City?

I wonder what or who it could be.  ))))

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #104 on: February 09, 2011, 06:56:26 PM »
Is there a link here between Swindon Town FC and Digital City?

Perhaps a councillor could tell TS just how much SBC lost in that debacle

Offline peach

« Reply #105 on: February 09, 2011, 07:15:02 PM »

Yes, but as to whether DC was insolvent - I guess it depends on how you define insolvent?  With no customers and no means to pay the loan back - you could consider DC insolvent from the moment it spent any of the money it received from SBC.

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
Is the WiFi market place about to take off thanks to the Olympics?
« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2011, 07:18:50 PM »
Its all going off in London for control of the WiFi.

In one corner you have Europe’s largest mobile Wi-Fi provider (The Cloud, part of BSkyB group)recently announcing:

The City of London and The Cloud launch free Wi-Fi service for Londoners
LONDON, Tuesday 1st February – The City of London and The Cloud, Europe’s largest mobile Wi-Fi provider, today launched a new initiative to give Londoners 15 minutes free Wi-Fi access per day within the square mile of London.
The move aims to enhance the quality of communications access within the capital while easing pressure on individuals hit hard by the VAT increase and new restrictions on mobile internet data use by some mobile operators. It will allow anyone with a Wi-Fi enabled device, including smart phones and laptops, to access mobile broadband via The Cloud, free of charge.
It is expected that more than 350,000 city workers and visitors to the area will be able to take advantage of the free 15 minutes per day within the Square Mile. Based on the success of the same offer in Glasgow, which experiences thousands of log-ins every day, The Cloud is expecting the initiative to have overwhelming appeal

http://www.thecloud.net/en/about-us/News-and-PR/The%20Cloud%20Says/The-City-of-London-and-The-Cloud-launch-free-Wi-Fi-service-for-Londoners.aspx

Whilst in the other corner you have the might of BT announcing:

BT considering public Wi-Fi network for London 2012 Olympics
London Flame 2012 - Wed Feb 02, 2011 @ 02:19PM
BT is negotiating with the London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games (LOCOG) about the possibility of delivering a public Wi-Fi network that will cover the Olympic Park during the 2012 games.
The company has no official remit to provide Wi-Fi for the games, but a network would provide better internet access to those attending the games and help ease the burden on mobile operators.

http://www.redswhitesandblacks.com/blog/entry/1521391/bt-considering-public-wifi-network-for-london-2012-Olympics.

All in the space of 2 days. Heavy hitters indeed.

Small Print: Member of the Labour Party. GMB Accompanying Rep. IT consultant on sabatical.  Postings may contain political bias. If you have an adverse reaction please desist from reading. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #107 on: February 09, 2011, 08:59:32 PM »
Do you think Garry Perkins that will blame you and me for Digital City not being chosen by Boris?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #108 on: February 09, 2011, 10:00:50 PM »
Do you think Garry Perkins that will blame you and me for Digital City not being chosen by Boris?

That reminds me, I'll be publishing the infamous letter to Bathgate later.

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #109 on: February 09, 2011, 10:32:28 PM »

We'll need to compete with the Olympics.
I can swim a width, throw a frisbee, and (maybe still) run a marathon (eventually).
Anyone got a trampoline, or a sandpit?
I know a bloke, called Rick, who said he'd sort it.
Proud to be gone

Offline Muggins

« Reply #110 on: February 10, 2011, 09:08:12 AM »

We'll need to compete with the Olympics.
I can swim a width, throw a frisbee, and (maybe still) run a marathon (eventually).
Anyone got a trampoline, or a sandpit?
I know a bloke, called Rick, who said he'd sort it.

Makes your blood run cold just thinking there might be someone similar up there helping out, don't it!
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2011, 08:21:19 AM »

Who was it who said are you thinking what we're thinking?

(After reading your article in today's Swindon Advertiser, who know's what anybody will be thinking?)

All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana:

ph1lc

« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2011, 08:47:29 AM »
Quote from: Geoff Reid on February 09, 2011, 05:36:10 PM

It is perfectly Legal for a company to continue to trade if the Directors feel that they can trade out of their insolvent position.

Offline Ringer

« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2011, 10:44:09 AM »

Who was it who said are you thinking what we're thinking?

(After reading your article in today's Swindon Advertiser, who know's what anybody will be thinking?)

What a well balanced article, about wifi, however is councillor Garry Perkins suffering from harmless delusions when it comes to his involvement and responsibility in wifi? How come officers are not mentioned in this article or Mr John Richard (Rikki) Hunt? Is it only Bill and Ben councillors Bluh & Perkins that are in the caca carrying the can for the failure to roll out, achieve the progress that council tax payers money has paid for? http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8846898.What_is_next_for_town___s_wifi_scheme_/
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2011, 04:41:33 PM »
Anyone else spot the big lie Garry squeezed out before he got to the Royal 'We' ?

I reckon Garry doesn't want to discuss his involvement in the WiFi'asco anymore because:

1. He incriminates himself further every time he opens his mouth.

2. He's up for re-election in May and doesn't want his electors realising that he's an incompetent bullshitter.

Does Councill Garry really think he can escape and deny the public record?

I think Councillor Garry now deserves an icon of his very own.  Bluh earned one quite early on, but what to do for the cllr formerly known as 'The Perkinator', now he's definitely gone nutter.  I'm thinking a cross between Comical-Ali and Hosni Murbarak.......

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2011, 05:28:41 PM »
To take a leaf out of Geoff's book (hope he doesn't mind) my question for today is this:-

Just how long will it take for Coun Perkins to come clean on the financial state of the other shareholder - aQovia?

My little emissary assures me that all is not hunky dory in that neck of the woods.  I wonder at what point Coun Perkins and the officer corps knew about that?  Strange they didn't see the need to mention it at Scrutiny?  But hey, please don't let me be accused of being highly personal or subjective!!

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2011, 05:51:46 PM »
How come officers are not mentioned in this article or Mr John Richard (Rikki) Hunt?

The article was intended to be a balanced factual analysis within the perspective of a personal viewpoint, as such it set out to deal with issues not personalities. I have said before that Rikki Hunt proposed a plan which was eagerly devoured by 'greedy' politicians as providing a potential source of income - 40% of £700k per annum and leading to cost savings, again measured in tens of thousands. Mr Hunt's plan might have had merit but it was based on the flimsiest of foundations. That councillors and officers welcomed it with open arms when it looked too good to be true, from many different aspects, says more about their judgement than it does about Mr Hunt; who is after all a salesman par excellence.  There are lots of 'blue sky thinkers' like Mr Hunt - very sadly they do not often translate their thinking success into operational success, for that they need people to do things for them.

I attributed quotes to Coun Perkins and Bluh which I can support from documentary evidence and i challenge Coun Perkins to justify his slur that I have debated this matter in a highly personal and subjective nature.  It is rich to hear such comments coming from Coun Perkins who is the man who accuses others of derailing the project and employing delaying tactics, yet when asked to substantiate such remarks simply goes into hideaway mode. Or does he consider my request dated 30/11 for him to explain his words to be a request beneath his rank?

With regard to implying impropriety on behalf of members and officers, I think it is Coun Perkins who uses  a word which i have not used in my article.  The word 'impropriety' does not feature whereas the word 'inept does, they certainly have different meanings

This claim has one purpose, to detract attention from the management of the project by Digital City and oversight by the council. To understand how inept both were one need only ask, what happened to the marketing strategy which was so integral to the success of the Highworth phase?

Why were key positions, identified as critical to success, never filled and why important measures of performance were ignored? Even worse, why were key elements diluted in order to facilitate the granting of the second part of the loan?

Offline Chris Watts

• Hello !
« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2011, 06:45:14 PM »
Anyone else spot the big lie Garry squeezed out before he got to the Royal 'We' ?

It did not go to Scrutiny 6 time as far as I can recall.
Also the District auditor did not investigate it.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2011, 07:16:31 PM »
This becomes more distasteful as every day passes.

some observations

1.  If it is that good why is there no a queue to invest in it?

2.  How much of their own money have Mr Hunt, Councillors Bluh, Edwards and Perkins invested?

3.  A project that has merit will always survive despite its detractors, why is Digital City exempt and therefore special?

In the absence of any other information is it reasonable that Mr Hunt's investment is to the value of his shareholding alone and that none of the Councillors have invested so much as a penny of their own money despite their enthusiasm to use ours?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Steve Wakefield

« Reply #119 on: February 12, 2011, 09:29:02 AM »
This becomes more distasteful as every day passes.

some observations

1.  If it is that good why is there no a queue to invest in it?

2.  How much of their own money have Mr Hunt, Councillors Bluh, Edwards and Perkins invested?

3.  A project that has merit will always survive despite its detractors, why is Digital City exempt and therefore special?

In the absence of any other information is it reasonable that Mr Hunt's investment is to the value of his shareholding alone and that none of the Councillors have invested so much as a penny of their own money despite their enthusiasm to use ours?

Richard

On TV yesterday was an interview did you hear that some expert point out it would have been several millions needed to do what was planned for Swindon? If so, did you record it?
All posts on this forum are my own opinion and do not represent the views of any council or any political party.  :banana: