Author Topic: Walcot  (Read 15180 times)

Offline Dougal

• Administrator
    • Talkswindon.org
Walcot
« on: January 30, 2011, 12:45:37 AM »
Walcot
2011 Local Election Candidates

Peter MallinsonConservative
Ellen OsaLabour
Kathy MCCarthyLiberal Democrat
Jenny MilesGreen Party
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:34:06 AM by Geoff Reid »

www.talkswindon.org is a venue, not a person or political entity. As such, it hopes to encourage input and discussion on any topic, from all walks of Swindon life.   

Offline Richard Symonds

Re: Walcot
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 11:59:07 PM »
Looking forward to kicking this thread off!

The question is after his mauling over adult care will Lead Member Peter Mallinson be standing for a humiliation at the polls?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Ringer

Walcot Where Is Our Regeneration 2010 Came and Went
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 11:23:28 AM »
Anyone remember the article and the thread at the time on TS that was short lived? I think there was photo of Cllr David Renard in it, but I maybe wrong.
  Shops to get the chop in regeneration plan Residents living near Marlowe Avenue's shops and Sussex Square have been urging Swindon Council to do something with the sites for years.

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/archive/2007/11/08/Swindon+Regeneration+News+%28swindon_news_regeneration%29/1817191.Shops_to_get_the_chop_in_regeneration_plan/

Has the regen of Sussex started yet? The Tories have been in 7-8 years so why no regen. I understand the economy may cause a slow down, but for a small block like this its just wifi beer money in comparison to the town centre regen and should have been done by now. Anyone know when it will be done?

To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 08:38:17 AM »
Although written for the Tory Cuts thread I feel this needs to published under this thread as well

A very well constructed thought provoking letter in the Adver this morning from Jenny Millin:

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/yoursay/swindonletters/8945859.Letter_from_Coun_Jenny_Millin/[/url]Letter from Coun Jenny Millin

7:40am Wednesday 6th April 2011

IT was with a very heavy heart that I witnessed the sad demise of our dedicated Home Care Service into the profit driven hands of private enterprise. Our Tory administration claims that the staff had been working at only at 45 per cent efficiency. If that is so, then surely the blame is wholly theirs for not managing the service more efficiently.

Furthermore the four private companies that the Tories favour to take over this vitally important and skilled work, say that they can deliver the same quality of service for a measly £15 per hour. However the Starfish report on home care states that “no homecare service can be delivered with quality, or meet standards, for less than £25 per hour”. So where are the corners going to be cut? The only ones to suffer in this are the voiceless disabled, sick, mentally ill, and elderly, who use the service. Furthermore I ask that if these private companies can provide the same quantity and quality of service for £15, and make a healthy profit as well, why couldn't Swindon Borough Council do the same?

Finally we must not forget that Swindon Borough Council Home Carers are more qualified, trained and experienced than any other private homecare provider. This was highlighted by the fact that SBC's Homecare service was rated an excellent service with outstanding features by the Care Quality Commission.

So what happened, and why was the service allowed to be so badly run? I think the people of Swindon have a right to know.

COUN JENNY MILLIN (Labour Councillor for Moredon)

You have to ask yourselves, in view of the lack of answers from Lead Member for Adult Services, does he actually care or is this his political obituary as he seeks re election in Walcot?

All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 09:03:41 AM »
An interesting article in the Adver mentioning the Regeneration in Sussex Square. 

What has Councillor Mallinson had to do with this since he walked out on the Regen Committee having had a major disagreement with Chairman Councillor David Renard?

Isn't this Blatant Electioneering?

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8953579.Council_gets___30m_of_developers__cash/
Some parts of town benefited more than others
3:00pm Tuesday 5th April 2011

Comments(2)

By Adam Kula »

SWINDON’S winners and losers in the development stakes can be revealed in full for the first time.

The Advertiser has obtained a breakdown of all building plans approved in the whole borough in the last five years, along with how much cash developers have pledged for each local community.

It shows the true hot-spots for new development, and also reveals that some places do much better than others when it comes to winning contributions from the companies which build there.

In total, over the last five years developers have agreed to hand over around £30m to the council for improvements in and around their building spots, according to the data.

The top area when it comes to developer contributions is Moredon, which has seen £3.5m given over in Section 106 deals in the last five years.

After that is Old Town and Lawn, with £3.4m, followed by the Central ward, with £3.1m.

But Penhill and Abbey Meads were among those areas which received the smallest amounts of developers’ cash along with Walcot.

But Coun Peter Mallinson (Con, Walcot) said his ward may soon get off the bottom rung.

“What’s happened in other areas is they’ve had development. We haven’t had anything like that yet,” he said. “We will get it. We’re hoping for 106 money would come from the development of Sussex Square.

“For the people of Walcot, once we’ve acquired the Bulldog pub and development has started in Sussex Square, the facilities will be the very latest, and it will be a big boost for the area.”

The Sussex Square development would see a supermarket and housing built in the area close to Walcot library.

Coun Andy Harrison (Lib Dem, Penhill) also said his ward’s low level of Section 106 cash had been because there was simply so little meaningful development in the area.

He said: “It’s appalling. It’s something I’ve raised previously.

“Part of the reason is I believe there’s not been that much development within Penhill in recent years, and only small developments at that.

“It’s about the fact there isn’t development going on in our area to put it bluntly, which gives us that 106 money pot.

“When it does come in in small amounts it goes into a central pot and doesn’t necessarily go into this area.”

Among the many developments which have yielded sizable sums for Swindon Council are the BHS store in Bridge Street (£75,900), Jury’s Inn in Fleming Way (£261,827), the GWR Sports Ground in Shrivenham Road (£1.4m), St Joseph’s school in Ocotal Way (£767,400), and the old RAF Princess Alexandra Hospital in Wroughton (£886,052).

Not all the Section 106 money cited has been spent yet.

Section 106 deals are struck between a developer and the council, as a condition of granting permission for building work to begin.

Council planners demand that the developer provides cash for roads schools and quality-of-life improvements for the area in which it wants to build.

WORST PERFORMING AREAS - Walcot: £25,612.80; Penhill: £26,458.01; Abbey Meads: £36,000; St Philip’s: £48,260; Toothill and Westlea: £49,454; and Haydon Wick: £88,587.

Comments(2)

Grimwald, Swindon says...
8:54pm Tue 5 Apr 11

So is Councillor Mallinson claiming responsibility for the Development of Sussex Square now? How does the man have the time with his responsibilities in the library shop and also for the cuts in Adult Services? Is he some kind of superman or something?

REPORT THIS POST » ?? REGISTER/SIGN IN »
A.Baron-Cohen, Old Town says...
8:49am Wed 6 Apr 11

Thank you to the adver for publishing these figures.
Would it be possible to know exactly how all this developers' cash has been spent on?

REPORT THIS POST » ?? REGISTER/SIGN IN »

Offline Muggins

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 01:50:57 PM »
Quote Andy H "Part of the reason is I believe there’s not been that much development within Penhill in recent years, and only small developments at that"

And thank God for that, we haven't the space for development, just a few small backlands.  We have consistently fought off development seeing what they have done at Parks.

Another reason is that they would only build social housing here and it
IS COUNCIL POLICY NOT TO ASK FOR PLANNING GAIN ON SOCIAL HOUSING. So we would have all the disruption and loss of open space with no gain.

Just remind people around here what it was like when they re-built Braydon Court!
Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Ringer

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 06:20:15 PM »
Will Walcot get yet another community centre?
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 06:37:20 PM »

I am hearing that there is no provision for the Community Shop and the Library so...............

Where will Peter Mallinson go when he ceases to be a Councillor and...............

Why didn't he ensure that there would be a Shop and the Library?

or doesn't he care (forgive the pun) any more?

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 08:10:53 PM »

I am hearing that there is no provision for the Community Shop and the Library so...............

Where will Peter Mallinson go when he ceases to be a Councillor and...............

I think the main reason will be down to the lack of funding due to the current governments austerity measures even though the council has £11,000,000 S106 monies in reserve, but im not entirely sure if it can be used for libraries or community shops? (anyone know?) . whether the local lads and ladettes are saving this money for some mechanic or blackhole scenario, i dont know?

ooo i see jenni is standing, i think swindon needs a couple of greens
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 11:54:45 PM »

I think the main reason will be down to the lack of funding due to the current governments austerity measures even though the council has £11,000,000 S106 monies in reserve, but im not entirely sure if it can be used for libraries or community shops? (anyone know?) . whether the local lads and ladettes are saving this money for some mechanic or blackhole scenario, i dont know?

ooo i see jenni is standing, i think swindon needs a couple of greens

Mellon it has been nothing to do with money but everything to do what has been planned.

If you are not seated at the table how on earth can you expect to be fed.

Unless you don't care of course.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
I have had calls this morning telling me that The Walcot Community Shop and Library are handing out Peter Mallinson's election leaflets.

Is this true and is it allowed?

Offline Ringer

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 09:52:50 AM »
E mail the borough solicitor and ask him

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 09:54:23 AM »
E mail the borough solicitor and ask him

Why don't you Ringer?

Offline Ringer

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 09:56:30 AM »
You're the one with the evidence

Offline Ringer

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 09:57:10 AM »
Or is it bogus

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2011, 09:58:07 AM »
You're the one with the evidence
This letter in the Adver this morning from Bob FM should help Councillor Peter Mallinson's campaign in Walcot!

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/yoursay/swindonletters/8958250.Letter_from_Robert_Feal_Martinez/

Letter from Robert Feal-Martinez
8:40am Friday 8th April 2011

TO say I was stunned by Coun Mallinson's attack on the council care workers is frankly an understatement (SA, letters April 4).

Having seen the council commissioned report of the service, it is clear that very many of the failings are indeed the mismanagement of the service, rather than the care workers themselves.

If he is correct in his assessment of hours actually worked etc, then who else is to blame other than supervisors and above. As an employer you schedule your employees hours and only pay them if they actually work them.

The report seems to indicate a complete lack of integrated management.

Perhaps Coun Mallinson and his fellow Tory councillors should have read their own report more carefully where it outlined very clearly that the cuts could be made in the management team, and thus improve efficiency. I did not note any suggestion from the report’s author of the need to transfer the services out of council control.

What is also concerning is that the council appears to have contracted out this service to four companies none of which has achieved the level of rating by the Care Commission that its own in-house team, did, 3 Star Excellent.

Coun Mallinson accuses members of the council opposition of playing politics, and others of lying. I would suggest Coun Mallinson and his colleagues are playing Russian roulette with the lives of the elderly and vulnerable. A far worse 'crime' than playing politics.

ROBERT FEAL-MARTINEZ South Marston Swindon

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2011, 10:05:06 AM »

That letter illustrates perfectly why I find Feal-Martinez's 'campaign' methodology utterly exasperating.

It's a good letter and I agree with FM's sentiments.  What I don't understand is how he can produce such a good letter about about the Conservative candidate in Walcot, a ward he, (FM), is not standing in, but has singularly failed to produce anything of note about Garry Perkins in the ward in which he is standing, i.e, Shaw and Nine Elms.

That said, I'm sure the Labour candidate for Walcot, Ellen Osa, will appreciate Mr Martinez's help.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2011, 10:06:44 AM »
Or is it bogus

Normally these sources are reliable but as it didn't happen to me it is hearsay, but maybe it needs to be checked out.

I am trying to confirm the information before contacting anyone officially.

Offline Muggins

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2011, 01:54:59 PM »
Geoff "but has singularly failed to produce anything of note about Garry Perkins in the ward in which he is standing, i.e, Shaw and Nine Elms."

It that case Geoff, be a good person and give him the ammunition!

Oi! Listen mush. Old eyes, remember? I’ve been around the block a few times. More than a few. They’ve knocked down the blocks I’ve been around and rebuilt them as bigger blocks. Super blocks. And I’ve been round them as well.  The Doctor (Night Terrors)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 02:22:59 PM »
Geoff "but has singularly failed to produce anything of note about Garry Perkins in the ward in which he is standing, i.e, Shaw and Nine Elms."

It that case Geoff, be a good person and give him the ammunition!

I think the record shows that Bob bridled at each and every attempt to provide him with advice, ammunition and information.  I expected that from him as far as I was concerned, (Bob does harbour something of a grudge against me), but it was disappointing to see how quickly the familiar irascible Feal-martinez appeared when asked some fairly reasonable questions by others.  Yes, I gave him a bit of a prod here and there - for good reason.

I also noticed that Bob spent a fair amount of time and effort coming up with reasons not to do stuff and then started producing caveats as to how, when, why and to whom he'd conduct his councilloring when elected.....

....and that was getting just a bit bizarre.

It's almost as if whoever writes his letters is a different person to the one that lives on the adver site.  Possibly he's not quite the full ticket in my honest opinion and it's probably better for all concerned, especially Bob, if he stays in his Conservatory until the election period is over.