Author Topic: St Margaret  (Read 1166 times)

Offline Dougal

• Administrator
    • Talkswindon.org
St Margaret
« on: January 30, 2011, 12:44:22 AM »
St Margaret
2011 Local Election Candidates

Russell HollandConservative
Nigel ChalkLabour
Deborah KingLiberal Democrat
Margaret Thompson-WattUKIP
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:59:25 PM by Dougal »

www.talkswindon.org is a venue, not a person or political entity. As such, it hopes to encourage input and discussion on any topic, from all walks of Swindon life.   

Offline Drone

Re: St Margaret
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 05:18:04 PM »
Defending their seat:

Russell Holland (Conservative)

IN THEIR OWN WORDS:

I work very hard to represent residents, by being a strong voice in council meetings, holding regular surgeries and delivering newsletters. As a councillor I have never claimed a penny in expenses. Following my long running campaign, Stratton Parish Council has finally put in the effort to reduce the Stratton Parish precept. On planning issues, I have worked hard to campaign against Labour’s plan to build 12,000 houses to the east of the A419. I have worked closely with Justin Tomlinson MP, and I am pleased that the new proposal has reduced the number to 7,500 houses in village-style developments. I will continue to campaign against inappropriate building plans and do everything I can to ensure high quality developments. I also helped lead the campaign against the wind turbines at Honda. Challenging: Nigel Peter Chalk (Labour): IN THEIR OWN WORDS: Stratton deserves more attention from the borough council. Many side streets look like patchwork quilts with unfilled potholes, and some of the parks and paths badly need maintenance. I have been a parish councillor for the last 12 months and helped select and install the new play area at Delamere Drive, and plant several areas with bulbs. My priorities for Lower Stratton are to: Ensure local developer contributions are spent in the ward and not elsewhere in Swindon; extend 20mph zones into estates; improve road and path maintenance and safety; push for more designated ‘green spaces’; reduce rat runs and the number of lorries using shortcuts; push to maintain local services including libraries; improve cycle routes in Swindon and limit the use of pavements by cyclists; improve facilities for children and youth.

Deborah King (Lib Dem)

IN THEIR OWN WORDS:

Debbie lives in Swindon with her husband Geoff and works part time as a marriage registrar in Wiltshire. She is a volunteer with Prospect. Formerly a civil servant, Debbie was also a Lib Dem councillor in West Berkshire. Debbie said: “Swindon has a great voluntary tradition and the council should build on this and empower local people to make the decisions that are right for our communities. We want to attract businesses to Swindon, and keep them. To do that we need to protect our environment and especially our green spaces for families to enjoy.”

Margaret Phillis Thompson-Watt (UKIP)

IN THEIR OWN WORDS:

I have lived in Swindon for many years. My main concern is the amount of taxpayers’ money that is wasted by the local council, ie. the water feature in Canal Walk, I feel the money could be better spent for the residents of Swindon such as helping keep the Oasis in good condition, which I understand is used by a great many people.

derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Ringer

Re: St Margaret
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 11:19:00 AM »
What happened to the Headlands Scheme? http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/3855725.Headlands_scheme_sparks_opposition/
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print