Tim SwinyardConservative
Fay HowardLabour
Catherine SmithLiberal Democrat
Terry Hayward UKIP
David MilesGreen Party
Graham CherryIndependant
Stephen HaldenSocial Democratic Party
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:53:50 PM by Dougal »

www.talkswindon.org is a venue, not a person or political entity. As such, it hopes to encourage input and discussion on any topic, from all walks of Swindon life.   

Offline Drone

Re: Parks
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 05:15:49 PM »
Defending their seat:

Fay Howard (Labour)

IN THEIR OWN WORDS:

I have worked hard for all Parks residents over the past four years. I am involved in community groups, have dealt with your concerns, and raised issues at the council. If I am elected again I will continue to represent you to the best of my ability and help you with local issues we all care about. My priorities are youth activity and dealing with anti-social behaviour. My priority is potholes not a canal, and a clean and safe Swindon. I hope to continue working in the council with all the political parties for the benefit of all of Swindon. I am passionate about children’s services, schools, play, youth work and also the local community issues that people contact me with about potholes, dog mess, anti- social behaviour etc. I am also a nurse at GWH and a relief warden in a sheltered housing scheme.

Challenging: Graham Cherry (Ind): Mr Cherry was not contactable.

However, he has stood before as a Conservative councillor, but lost Parks in 2010.

Steve Halden (SDP)

PARTY PROFILE:

Steve Halden is standing for the Social Democratic Party. He previously stood as a UKIP parliamentary candidate in Swindon for both general elections in 2005 and 2010. He has lived and worked in Swindon for over 40 years but has now retired. Steve believes that the current economic policies are a plague on the working class. The policies of both Labour and Conservative parties have led to five million people waiting for a council house, and 2.5 million people unemployed in Britain. Steve believes that only policies that return Britain to full employment will help the working class. Britain cannot afford to have 2.5 million people permanently unemployed and claiming benefits.

Terry Hayward (UKIP)

IN THEIR OWN WORDS:

I have been working in the community for about eight years and sit on lots of committees. I am a member of SWAP which has provided a skateboard park, ball game facilities and a young children’s play area. I don’t think we are getting a fair deal with the humps and the chicanes. It is coming up to seven years since our streets were last swept. I have put forward ways to save money to the sum of £6,660 a week and to have all the streets in Swindon swept every week at no extra cost. Lets start working smart!

David Miles (Green)

IN THEIR OWN WORDS.

As are being forced to pay council tax, we should have dedicated councillors working hard to give us the quality of life we deserve, not bulldozing greenfield sites at Coate to make way for high-priced, luxury housing. The elderly and less well-off should be protected from rising fuel bills by having their homes properly insulated. Our public transport plan needs to be updated, providing more evening and weekend buses so that young people don’t need to rely on parents to shuttle them around. Our money should be spent on our schools, anti-social behaviour, graffiti and vandalism, not on over-inflated pay for councillors.

Catherine Smith (Lib Dem)

PARTY PROFILE:

Catherine has lived in Swindon her whole life. She has been engaged in the community since a young age, taking part in Sixth Sense and rock school youth projects and encouraging political activism at college. Catherine is especially worried about anti-social behaviour in the area. She feels problems by the minority mean the majority do not feel safe, especially older people. Catherine also supports the Swindon Liberal Democrats stance of opposing rent hikes and protecting services for vulnerable children and adults. Catherine is also committed to stopping development on Coate. She lives nearby and knows Coate Water is an important facility for Parks residents. Unwelcome development should not encroach on it.

Tim Swinyard (Conservative)

PARTY PROFILE: Tim Swinyard lives and works in Swindon, and has lived here all his life. He is a primary school governor and has been involved in fundraising for a number of charities. Tim’s priorities for the Parks are to help tackle anti-social behaviour, to deal with litter and to support initiatives such as the Street Watch scheme that is being started by Parks residents. Tim supports the Conservative Council’s decision to freeze council tax this year. He says: “Thanks to our Conservative Council, huge improvements have been made to Cavendish Square but I want to see further progress, with use of the former Cock Robin site as a properly laid out parking area for example. I will work with local police to ensure that anti-social behaviour is tackled swiftly.

derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 09:54:57 PM »
Not surprised the Adver could not get hold of him because I understand neither could residents when he was a Councillor.  Possibly he was on the fishing lake, where he spent the majority of the election campaign three years ago  Have not seen him canvassing in Cavandish Square this year.  Has he been there or is he knocking doors?   Claire Ellis is not there to do it for him this time.

I think his previous leaflets were written for him, has he done one?

With his fishing mates he should pole about fifty to sixty votes, anyone else want to guess?
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Drone

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 06:50:25 AM »
If you can't be bothered talking to the local paper for thirty seconds to promote your camapign, why bother standing?
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 10:26:15 AM »
If you can't be bothered talking to the local paper for thirty seconds to promote your camapign, why bother standing?

Because I am told that in his strange world Graham Cherry still believes in his unique selling point, that his presence at the fishing lake will get him elected.  Well that is what he did three years ago only being seen on the doors when those of note put in an appearance like Rod Bluh and David 'two brains' Willets.  When they left he went back to the lake.  How do I know this - I was there and I don't know if he delivered the pledge letters we gave him.

He got elected last time to be removed by 583 votes the following year, says it all really.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group

Offline Drone

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 03:30:28 PM »
Mondeo Man, Holby City woman ... I had no idea the local angling vote was so important!
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Jean

• Jefferies Land Conservation Trust
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 10:46:14 PM »
It seems that Graham Cherry has voiced an opinion about development at Coate in response to the Vote for Coate campaign http://voteforcoate.org

He replied:

Question 1. NO. It is inevitable some development will take place regardless of council decisions. Question 3. No. Because any development will be beneficial to the improvement of the country park.

[Editor's Note: This means that Mr. Cherry is for development at Coate and not in favour of protecting the area.]

:argh:

Live simply so that others might simply live

Offline Drone

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 07:09:12 AM »
How would building be beneficial to the park?

*Sigh*
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 08:21:30 AM »
How would building be beneficial to the park?

*Sigh*

I first heard those words from Les Durrant, of DPDS.
If you're religious, you could be forgiven for believing that only god could enhance nature, but a property developer? I think not.
Proud to be gone

Offline Drone

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 09:00:36 AM »
The same arguments are being made by Primegate and DPDS about building next to Lydiard Park. Development will actually improve the park. Who knew?
derp derp herp herp derp

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 09:10:29 AM »
The same arguments are being made by Primegate and DPDS about building next to Lydiard Park. Development will actually improve the park. Who knew?

No one apart from the few who run this town.

An elderly lady I know who lives in Old Town described the Council as more Secret than Bletchley Park.

Says it all really!

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 01:00:09 PM »
At the Toothill Polling Station this morning between 8.45 and 11.45 am I met a very pleasant young man in the form of Tim Swinyard

Why is this relevant to the Parks?

because he is the Conservative Candidate in the elcection there.

He is obviously confident of victory.   ::)

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 09:56:39 PM »

Does Tim know where Parks is?

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 03:20:20 PM »

Does Tim know where Parks is?

Probably not as he appears to have spent the whole of the day working in Toothill and Westlea for no good reason.