Author Topic: Covingham & Nythe  (Read 10071 times)

Offline Dougal

• Administrator
    • Talkswindon.org
Covingham & Nythe
« on: January 30, 2011, 12:36:28 AM »
Covingham & Nythe
2011 Local Election Candidates

Emma FaramarziConservative
Peter WattsLabour
Christopher WardLiberal Democrat
Corrinna Allen UKIP

* Emma Faramarzi replaces, (as candidate), Cllr Glenn Smith.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2011, 06:33:46 PM by Dougal »

www.talkswindon.org is a venue, not a person or political entity. As such, it hopes to encourage input and discussion on any topic, from all walks of Swindon life.   

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
Eastern Development Area Plans Scrapped
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 05:00:03 PM »
Some good news from the eastern side of town contained in Emma Faramarzi's first leaflet, (as a Conservative candidate in the 2011 local elections), distributed throughout Covingham and Nythe Ward.

Emma Faramarzi is the Chairwoman of the Swindon branch of the Federation of Small Business.  Emma runs a small IT consultancy firm in the Borough called Double Click Computing and is heavily involved in another firm, Datalibrium. In her own words: "I run all advertising campaigns and Marketing activities including lead generations at Datalibrium as well as the day to day business planning at Double Click" 

Emma and Talkswindon are not strangers to each other - see this interesting 2008 TS topic:  " A Bad Tax At The Worst Time Possible...." - Browns Empty Building Tax   - and I don't think she's anyone's patsy, so, if she's put her name to a leaflet that says the Eastern Development Area plnas have been scrapped, I think she believes they actually have been scrapped.

This leaves me with one inevitable question. What does this mean for West Swindon?  With the scrapping of the Eastern Development Area plans the pressure seems likely to be applied to West Swindon where the 'Rural Buffer' betwixt West Swindon and North Wiltshire has now been quietly removed and replaced with plans to develop the land. All of it.

While Michael Dickinson huffs his way up and down Hook Street, trying to convince Freshbrook residents he's opposed to the small development of 175'ish houses there, (appeal being heard in the council chambers for 3 or 4 days next week), he's singularly failing to tell anyone that the West and North Swindon Conservatives have been exploring the development of West Swindon with Wiltshire Council for several years.  It turns out it's all been pretty much agreed and stitched up amongst themselves for quite a while.

Scrapping the EDA, (Eastern Development Area) is good news for Covingham, Wanborough etc, but probably not so good for all of us in West Swindon and Lydiard Millicent etc.

Offline Bobby Bingo

Re: Eastern Development Area Plans Scrapped
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 05:31:24 PM »
The Eastern Development plans are scrapped but REPLACED in the SBC core strategy which will plan to build 40% less.
The leaflet is an eye catcher but she will be found to be another of Tomlinson's Babes being parachuted in.
Full of Eastern Promise and nothing else!
Hurley is already called the Cardboard Cut Out locally.
There is a public meeting planned by Covingham Parish Council on April 11th to discuss this new proposal and both M.P's as well as Bluh and Greenhalgh and Heenan will be there.
Bobby

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 07:07:10 PM »
So it's a pre-election conjob then?

robert feal-martinez

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 07:07:28 PM »
The Eastern Development plans are scrapped but REPLACED in the SBC core strategy which will plan to build 40% less.
The leaflet is an eye catcher but she will be found to be another of Tomlinson's Babes being parachuted in.
Full of Eastern Promise and nothing else!
Hurley is already called the Cardboard Cut Out locally.
There is a public meeting planned by Covingham Parish Council on April 11th to discuss this new proposal and both M.P's as well as Bluh and Greenhalgh and Heenan will be there.

Amazing how they've managed to put these together during the election period. The new plans do indeed have less houses but are still far to high for the real demand, which took account of immigration demand as 40% of the total.

This is the new proposal map: http://www.wanborough.info/eastern_dev/EDA%20Core%20Strategy%202011%20Draft%20plan.pdf

Offline Ringer

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 08:12:58 AM »
Amazing how they've managed to put these together during the election period. The new plans do indeed have less houses but are still far to high for the real demand, which took account of immigration demand as 40% of the total.

This is the new proposal map: http://www.wanborough.info/eastern_dev/EDA%20Core%20Strategy%202011%20Draft%20plan.pdf

What does that statement mean exactly? Surely developers would only build houses they could actually sell, so there must be a demand for them.
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

robert feal-martinez

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 08:17:15 AM »

What does that statement mean exactly? Surely developers would only build houses they could actually sell, so there must be a demand for them.

I think you will find there are many unsold new homes in the town, even the Marlborough Park development that has everything going for it has laid off sales staff.

Offline Ringer

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 08:20:25 AM »
There will always be a slow down in demand, however starngely enough I believe the amount of houses available in this country at any one time lags behind the demand by about 1 million. They will all sell in the end and the prices will rise as its a market.
To qualify for inclusion there is only one rule - something described must have been said to have happened. `If the facts don`t fit the legend, print

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 08:29:12 AM »
even the Marlborough Park development that has everything going for it...

...other than looking like a prison and any prospective buyers realising that the road network outside their homes will be completely unusable during peak-times once all the properties are occupied.

It's going to be a complete disaster for anyone in eastern Old Town who drives and needs to use the roads during am and pm rush hour periods.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart

robert feal-martinez

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 08:37:26 AM »
even the Marlborough Park development that has everything going for it...

...other than looking like a prison and any prospective buyers realising that the road network outside their homes will be completely unusable during peak-times once all the properties are occupied.

It's going to be a complete disaster for anyone in eastern Old Town who drives and needs to use the roads during am and pm rush hour periods.

The road network at Marlborough Park, is about as good as it gets in Swindon. There is nowhere at peak times you can get anywhere fast, certainly not by going across town. If I want to go to West Swindon. I go onto the M4 and off again at 16, certainly longer but one hell of a lot quicker.

Offline Mellon

• Whatever it is , I didn't do it!
    • Mellons Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 10:44:09 AM »
"They'll be back and with greater numbers too"

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Offline Ringer

Or Was it the Swindon Advertiser's April Fool Joke  :2funny:?

Press Blackout Over Homes Plan

Page 9 Swindon Advertiser 1-04-11 Adver will not attend public meeting at Wanborough to discuss development plans as Cllr green halgh has said he won't if the Adver do.

And guess what its not in the online version. Anyone able to scan it? I thought politicians were to be scrutinised by a healthy  press.

Offline Bobby Bingo

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2011, 08:53:25 PM »
I would think Buckland advocating using the Sun Inn car park as an overspill for the G.W.H. was the April Fool item.
Surely Buckland would have more sense than to suggest this
Bobby

Offline Ringer

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2011, 09:04:36 PM »
Yes April fool joke  :2funny: I am sure the Press Blackout one is an April Fool joke too, what about the lorry in Wotton Bassett Road and the Bridge did that happen?

Offline Geoff Reid

• Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2011, 09:56:14 PM »
I'm pretty sure I'll have a copy of the 'Greenhalgh bans journalists from meeting' story tomorrow.

The Lampighters network is buzzing noisily about this - rumoured that Stephen Taylor leant on the Adver not to attend.

Is this because Emma Faramarzi's leaflet promises something which isn't true?

I'm reminded of Cllr David Sammells and the 'Conservatives have saved Stratton playing fields' debacle.

Offline MsD Meanor

• Hello !
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2011, 10:12:49 PM »
It says something when you really don't know what pieces of news or articles are April Fools' jokes   :crazy2:

Offline Bogomil

• Hello !
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2011, 10:47:04 PM »
The comments from Coun Andrew Bennett are sheer bo££ock$

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/news/8947266.Press_blackout_over_homes_plan/
Coun Andrew Bennett (Con, Ridgeway), Wanborough Parish councillor and Swindon Council ward member said it was because council officers would be speaking at the meeting.
“There are officers, and there are members (of the council)”, he said.
“Officers have a function to carry out the policies of members.
“The corrolary is that it’s unusual officers to talk to the press, unless they’re members of the press office.
“In this particular instance, because it’s becoming so heated and there’s been quite a lot of lengthy correspondence it has built up a head of steam, and it leaves more opportunity for something to come out wrong.
“We do protect officers.”

Officers regularly attend AND SPEAK at public meetings where the press are present, even if the subject is controversial or likely to cause a heated debate.

What utter crap and for that alone Coun Bennett ought to be taken to task.

Offline Ringer

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2011, 10:54:44 PM »
Bogo

Thanks for posting online link I missed it, perhaps the adver, has published this to cause some  :embarassed: to councillors well it proves one thing its not an April fool joke.  O0

Offline Mart

• Where's my cow?
« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2011, 09:41:59 AM »
Is this open government or Big Society?

I'm leaning towards contempt.
Sometimes I think you have to march right in and demand your rights, even if you don’t know what your rights are, or who the person is you’re talking to. Then, on the way out, slam the door.

Offline Richard Symonds

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2011, 10:11:42 AM »
Is this open government or Big Society?

I'm leaning towards contempt.

No Mart it is a Dictatorship and you will do as you are told.

Meanwhile,

We will do what we like because we can.
All my posts are my own opinion and do not represent any political organization or group