Author Topic: Central  (Read 10609 times)

Offline moley

• Hello !
Re: Central
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2011, 09:39:23 PM »

To force them to vote is hardly the hall mark of democracy

Although interestingly voting is compulsory in Australia.

I've voted in every election I've been eligible for (apart from one council election I missed because of a last minute business trip).

However there was one election where I deliberately spoiled my vote because I couldn't bring myself to vote for any of the candidates.  (but I didn't want to count in the "apathetic" camp).

Moley

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2011, 09:44:59 PM »
but I didn't want to count in the "apathetic" camp

So by spoiling your paper you joined the 'pathetic' camp :bottom:

voting is compulsory in Australia

Now you are not going to tell me we should do what Aussies do - are you?

Its a 50 dollar fine if you don't vote - blimey mate don't tell Roddy Bluh he might just think it's a great idea for raising more money.  Probably find a billet for his old mate Rikki (for free) Hunt

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2011, 10:00:08 PM »

Now you are not going to tell me we should do what Aussises do - are you?

Now I'm starting to think there's a lot I like about the Australian parliamentary system... AV... compulsory voting....

:wink:

Offline Des Morgan

• Hello !
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2011, 10:09:57 PM »
As someone said to me 'What's the difference between an Australian and a yoghurt' - 'the Yoghurt has a culture'

Ah well Moley I think it's transportation for you mate - do you want to take the sheila with you or should we give you an alternative vote?

If you go - we will miss you sport

No - stay and watch the Lib Dem horror film probably eclipsed by the skirl of bagpipes as the SNP celbrate their victory over Millipedes army. 

I only jest

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2011, 10:19:43 PM »
As someone said to me 'What's the difference between an Australian and a yoghurt' - 'the Yoghurt has a culture'

Ah well Moley I think it's transportation for you mate - do you want to take the sheila with you or should we give you an alternative vote?

I like Australia! (although my experience is limited to about a week a very long time ago now).

Only problem is it's far too hot for me - still at least Vitamin G wasn't too difficult to track down....

Offline peach

« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2011, 10:39:50 PM »
I like Australia! (although my experience is limited to about a week a very long time ago now).

Only problem is it's far too hot for me - still at least Vitamin G wasn't too difficult to track down....

Too hot?  We had a frost last night here in Canberra.  I'm told I can go skiing here later in the year too! :spin:  :WTF:

Offline moley

• Hello !
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2011, 10:54:41 PM »

Too hot?  We had a frost last night here in Canberra.  I'm told I can go skiing here later in the year too! :spin:  :WTF:

As I say my only experience was Melbourne in February.... but it was a lot hotter than it usually gets over here...

Offline I Could Do That

• Swindon Born & Bred & Gone
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2011, 12:24:52 AM »
It's essentially pointless anyone standing against Labour in Central Ward.

I live in Central Ward.
I did not vote Labour at this election (though I doubt 20Eyes would believe it).
my wife did not vote Labour.
My immediate neighbours did not vote Labour.
Nearly 1000 others did not vote Labour.

It is not pointless standing against Labour in Central Ward

It was not pointless standing against the LibDems in Eastcott Ward (pretty close this time)  :clap:

It was not pointless standing against Garry Perkins in Shaw & Nine Elms (though you have to wonder just how much info people need, to chose a candidate that might actually represent someone from Swindon)  :bash:

It was certainly not pointless standing against the tories in Walcot  O0

20's continual, predictably enduring comments are however becoming essentially more  pointless every day  :2funny:
Proud to be gone

Offline Geoff Reid

• Twitter: @Geoff_Reid
  • Active But Odd
  • Bald as a chimps arse
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2011, 03:05:18 PM »

Certainly difficult to reconcile his rhetorical analysis against the data.

I don't have the culmulative %'s across the Borough, but I bet the gap between Con/Lab is much smaller than people expect.

I don't think 20 is really bothered what the facts are.
If nick-names were being doled out I'd nominate him for 'Leaflet'.

Offline 20Eyes

• Too fast, too deep, blah blah blah
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2011, 04:13:44 PM »

Certainly difficult to reconcile his rhetorical analysis against the data.

I don't have the culmulative %'s across the Borough, but I bet the gap between Con/Lab is much smaller than people expect.

I don't think 20 is really bothered what the facts are.
If nick-names were being doled out I'd nominate him for 'Leaflet'.

I was very clearly referring to Central Ward. These are the figures from last week:

Derique Montaut  Labour
  1829 Majority = 1358  (+929 since 2007)
Paul Gregory  Conservative
  471 00.0%
Gary porter  Liberal Democrat
  213 00.0%
Robert Heritage  Green Party
  155 00.0%
Eleanor Pomagalski  UKIP
  95 00.0%
Karsten Evans  Independant  55 00.0%

The Labour candidate polled twice as many votes as every other candidate combined. He polled well over four times as many votes as his nearest rival.

The fact is that it's essentially pointless anyone standing against Labour in Central Ward.

And that's precisely what I said.

That may change, of course, but right now, it's actually quite hilarious that you've tried to deny it - seemingly solely on the basis that you feel the need to have a dig regardless of what I post.
"Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime." ~ Potter Stewart